Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 AM

Default 2011 General Parole Question & Info Thread

Is there such a thing as a hardship parole in California. My brother is in prison and our mom is dying of cancer. I don't know what to do or how to help him at least get home to see her before she dies. He was just recently transferred out of state to Arizona which makes matters even worse. Please someone anyone I need help desperately.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Default He is on parole and getting letters from inmates, will this get him violated?

Hi ya'll,

My loved one is home and i am very happy. He recently got some letters from the friends that he made in Chino. He is still on parole and I was wondering if he can write a letter back to them without getting violated in the California system. Please advise.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

That is a really tough question. Techinaclly(sp) I do not think that it is allowed, but I know when my guy was on parole he was writing his sister who is in VSPW and if I remember correctly he was also writing a buddy of his that was still in the fire camp he paroled from. I know at the fire camp the COs would know his name right away on the letter and I know they did let the letter get to the inmate. But that being said things are kind of lax at the camps. But like I said he was writing his sister the whole time he was on parole and never got into any trouble with his PO. She even knew the sister was in jail then prison and that he was keeping in touch with her. I think this is one of the things that just depends on the PO, the prison.

Last edited by Shari; 03-05-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 AM
what it do

Default parole discharge review

Okay my brother 12 month parole was on feb 12 and his 13 months parole will be up on march 12. Shouldnt he know sumthing about his parole discharge review before the march 12 since it will be going on his 14 months
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

Has his PO ever told him that he was going to submit anything for him to get a early release from parole. It is not a forsure thing that you get released at 13 months or that the PO would even recommend it. Your brother should ask his PO if he had recommended it. If not then all they sent in was a review that they do yearly and he will continue on parole. Parole is for three years. Yes there are some that get off at 13 months but that is not true for everyone. I am not sure of the amount of people who get off at 13 months but I think more do not than actually do. Also just because you are following all the rules and have not gotten into any trouble and so on it is still not a for sure thing that you will get a early discharge. It is up to the PO, the supervisor and the people who review the requests if it will happen.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Default can my boyfriend live with me when he's released?

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 4 years. He jus recently got sent to his reception center. Has a 3 year sentence but he is hoping to get out on good behavior. He wants to live with me when he gets out but i have been hearing that he might not be able to because we are not married. So is it true that he has to be released to family. Although his id has his grandmas address he never actually lived there. Can he be released to my address when he gets out?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
---------------

Thanked 5,778 Times in 3,498 Posts

If his total sentence is 3 years...then he will get an ERD (early release date) which is basically his "good time". It depends on his crime as to if his ERD will be calculated at 50% or 85%. Just as an example...my husband was sentenced to 11 years...but because his crime was voluntary manslaughter...he has to serve 85% of that before he can be released...which comes out to about 9 years and some months.

As far as your boyfriend being able to parole to you...I do not see why not as long as you both live in the county he was arrested in. That will be the county he will be released to. If you do live in another county...then he would have to put in for a parole transfer and because you are not married...will more than likely be denied. Once he is closer to paroling...when he signs his parole papers...he will put your address as the address he is paroling too and his assigned PO will probably contact you...or even come by to see if where you live is ok.

There are so many variables when it comes to where he can parole to...and it depends on his crime...so you have to take all of that into account also...but just from the surface..it should be alright if he comes home to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyjenn View Post
Me and my boyfriend have been together for 4 years. He jus recently got sent to his reception center. Has a 3 year sentence but he is hoping to get out on good behavior. He wants to live with me when he gets out but i have been hearing that he might not be able to because we are not married. So is it true that he has to be released to family. Although his id has his grandmas address he never actually lived there. Can he be released to my address when he gets out?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

The info that Teresa has given you is correct. There is only one thing that I am going to say that is different. You are not paroled to the county of committment you are paroled to the county of your last legal residency. If he gave the police his grandmothers address as his last legal address then he will be paroled to that county.

As for him living with you there should not be a problem like Teresa said unless you are not living in the county he is released to.

Also there is one other way of getting out a little earlier. If he is serving his sentence at 50% and can qualify for fire camp then he will only have to serve his sentence (starting from the time he completes his fire camp training) at 35% which can get him home a little earlier. My guy was sentenced to 7 years. He should of done 3 and a half years but because he was in fire camp he only served 2 years and 10 months.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
---------------

Thanks Shari...I didnt know this...very good to know for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari View Post
The info that Teresa has given you is correct. There is only one thing that I am going to say that is different. You are not paroled to the county of committment you are paroled to the county of your last legal residency. If he gave the police his grandmothers address as his last legal address then he will be paroled to that county.

As for him living with you there should not be a problem like Teresa said unless you are not living in the county he is released to.

Also there is one other way of getting out a little earlier. If he is serving his sentence at 50% and can qualify for fire camp then he will only have to serve his sentence (starting from the time he completes his fire camp training) at 35% which can get him home a little earlier. My guy was sentenced to 7 years. He should of done 3 and a half years but because he was in fire camp he only served 2 years and 10 months.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Yea that being said we all know how CDC is and how they follow the written rules but pretty much that is how it goes. There has been a lot posted about that in here.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Yea that being said we all know how CDC is and how they follow the written rules but pretty much that is how it goes. There has been a lot posted about that in here.
Thanks for the info everyone. His grandmas address is in solano county
but i live in contra costa countywhich is only about 30 mins away from where his grandmother lives. So im hoping they approve him to stay with me. If not...is it a long process to do the parole transfer?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned

It is nor long but like said before if u are not married it makes it harder. My guy was to parole to Lake County but had no place go live there and did not want to go back there. We got him into a program in Sonoma County got him a place to live had a job lined up in Santa Rosa. When he was released he went to check in and told his PO what he wanted to do. She was all for it and so was her supervisor but after two weeks Sonoma County came back and denied the transfer cause he bad no family in the county. Just letting u know our experience
Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Default Who is his parole officer??

my man is in for absconding. he never even met his p.o. how can i find out who it is? does the prison have this info? any info is much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Account Closed

When I wanted to know who my man's PO was I just asked my man his name and what county he's out of. I believe though that your man's counselor would also be able to give you that information, but sometimes the counselors are hard to get ahold of.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:24 AM
---------------

If you know what county he was to parole to, you can call the parole office there and they should be able to tell you if you are having trouble getting ahold of his counselor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwnhcpdro View Post
my man is in for absconding. he never even met his p.o. how can i find out who it is? does the prison have this info? any info is much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,199 Posts

there is a new bill that makes a lot of changes to parole, I put a link to it in the news section, but if an inmate is going to parole after July 1, and they are not serving time for a serious or violent crime and are not doing 85% time- they will not be under the jurisdiction of state parole, county probation will handle their parole. This should solve the problem of trying to get transfers to "closed counties" since probation doesn't have that.

Also, the first review for discharge will take place at 6 mths not 1 year -AND offenders sentenced to 3 years or less (unless it's a violent or serious crime) will do their time in the county. What I'm not sure of is if someone serving 3 years or less on July 1 will finish their term in prison or get sent to the county jail to finish their sentence.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM

my boyfriend's in prison and his parole officer won't return my calls.. should i just keep calling and annoy the piss outta him or what? but i don't want him to take it out on my man and keep him in longer ya know? i just have questions only he can answer
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Maybe you can try emailing him. There is a list somewhere here on PTO of all the emails for CDC employess. I will see if I can find it and post the link for you.

Here try this link to look it up. It is not the one I was looking for but I think it should help. If I find the other one i will come back and post it. http://www.cold.ca.gov/state_employees.asp

Ok found the post I was talking about here is the link. Try both of them to get the email address. CDCR Employee Phone List

Last edited by Shari; 03-19-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM

thank you thank you thank you! you rock!! i wrote down 2 pages of phone numbers regarding parole lol. if i can't contact his p.o. with all these numbers, then he don't have a p.o! Haha

Last edited by htwnhcpdro; 03-19-2011 at 03:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to htwnhcpdro For This Useful Post:
Shari (03-19-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Default OC Probation Questions

Anyone have any info on Orange County CA probation? How often do they stop by?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

That will depend on the crime, on the rap sheet, on his tattoos, on his pals, on his family, on his residence, on his spouse/girlfriend, on snitches, on his substance abuse history. and on teh mental attitude of his parole officer....for starters.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
------------------

Thanked 1,008 Times in 612 Posts

Alright I just found out that my cuz was taken in on a parole violation.... so here is the question how much time do you think he'll get? the violation is for having access to fire arms, ammunition and alcohol. then having a 3in pocket knife in his car.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Ouch!! since the most they can give for a technical violation is 12 months, your cuz is probably lookin at more than that considering the vast violation you mentioned
Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

Unless there is new charges the most they can get for any violation is 12 months flat. Thee is no list of how much time you get for a certain violation. It usually just depends on the. Mood of the board that day. They will make him a offer he can either accept or not if he does not accept it he will go to board and have to take what they give homes there.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
---------------

Interestingly enough...there is a list that the PO's have that is like a "time sheet" of how much minimum time a person can get depending on the violation. I have no idea how to get the list...but that is what I was told by my ex's parole officer when he violated his parole for domestic violence.

It would be great to get ahold of one...but I have no idea how to do that.

Shari is right...it does depend on the mood of the parole commissioner...if they are in a good mood...they may offer a plea deal, which could be less than 12 months...or they can just give him 12 months flat.

Quote:
Unless there is new charges the most they can get for any violation is 12 months flat. Thee is no list of how much time you get for a certain violation. It usually just depends on the. Mood of the board that day. They will make him a offer he can either accept or not if he does not accept it he will go to board and have to take what they give homes there.

Last edited by PTO-79211; 03-23-2011 at 09:25 AM..