Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 738 Posts
Default Traveling while on Supervised Release

The PO told me we cannot travel within the first 60 days of SR, which will be from March 25 -May 25 outside of the Northern District of Illinois (no issue), after that he said we should be free to travel within the US, Guam, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

His supervised release should then end on September 25 as the PO said he will be able to get it terminated after 6 months instead of serving the full year. That was good news.

I thought we didn't need permission to travel, but after thinking back to a conversation with the PO maybe we do need to run it by him. Between that May 25-Sep 25 period we will want to visit my son in San Francisco who my husband will not have seen I think in 2 years by then, need to take one daughter to college orientation in June or July in Texas, take her back to move in to her dorm in August, take the other daughter to move in to her dorm and orientation in NY in August, and then I think a possible parent weekend back in Texas again in September. I assume since these are all family related there will be no issues with the PO, however, generally speaking is there other information we need to provide the PO every time we travel? Like do we need to give him an itinerary, such as where we're staying, our flight info, hotel info, anything like that?

My husband has no financial obligations, he doesn't have restrictions such as not being able to use credit cards, he also has no restrictions about drinking alcohol, or drug issues so he will not suddenly be smoking pot or using edibles in CA even though they are legal (I know not federally) there.

Just trying to figure out how much detail we are likely to have to provide. In prison my husband has not had a single incident has 0 points and been a model prisoner. Hopefully this will continue and the transition to HWH/HC will be smooth as well.

Also, with the shutdown does anyone know if there is any impact on anything that PO are doing or not doing. Our PO has already told us that he will probably never see my husband again after he meets with us at the HWH and only have contact with him once/month when he submits his monthly form. I suspect it's because my husband is essentially no risk, so I wonder if with the shutdown they are even dealing with low risk people at all or only higher risk felons.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,946 Times in 12,163 Posts

It sounds right to me. The POs don't spend much time with compliant wards, but it usually takes months before they make that determination.

I would clarify the rules for travel after the 60 days. There is a travel application form that needs to be filed, and the PO has to formally approve ahead of the trip. His SR restrictions don't allow travel outside of the one federal judicial without authorization, but like everything else, it depends on who his PO is.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 01-13-2019 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It sounds right to me. The POs don't spend much time with complaint wards, but it usually takes months before they make that determination.

I would clarify the rules for travel after the 60 days. There is a travel application form that needs to be filed, and the PO has to formally approve ahead of the trip. His SR restrictions don't allow travel outside of the one federal judicial without authorization, but like everything else, it depends on who his PO is.
Yeah it was his PO that told me after the 60 days he can travel anywhere in the US, PR, Virgin Islands and Guam, so that came from the horses mouth, so not expecting to be issues there, just wondering what kind of rigmarole we're going to have to deal with when he does travel. More bureaucratic forms that they probably won't even look at is my guess. Just like I'm assuming the guy won't even look at the monthly report that he has to fill out.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:14 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,235 Times in 14,699 Posts

I would go over his conditions with a fine tooth comb.
Not sure how the feds handle supervision but for state parole hub had conditions to sign.
He also had so many different agents it was not funny. The *interpretation* of his conditions changed with each one. I'd not trust anything that was said orally.
I'd also not travel at all if you dont have written approval each time.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's a USPO travel request form. Apparently some offices have their own. All of the ones I looked at contained the "file 2 weeks prior to travel" requirement. I was also made to check in with the local probation office, but his actual rules will be set by his PO.

U. S. PROBATION OFFICE
PERMISSION TO TRAVEL REQUEST FORM
PERMISSION TO TRAVEL MUST BE SUBMITTED
(2) TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO PLANNED TRAVEL.
DATE:
__________________________________________________ _____________________
NAME: __________________________________________________ _____________________
ADDRESS: __________________________________________________ __________________
YOUR PHONE NUMBER: __________________________________________________ ______
DESTINATION OF TRAVEL: __________________________________________________ ____
DEPARTURE DATE: __________________________________________________ __________
RETURN DATE: __________________________________________________ ______________
PURPOSE OF TRIP: __________________________________________________ __________
PERSONS TRAVELING WITH YOU: ________________________________________________
ACCOMMODATIONS: (MUST BE VERIFIED BY PROBATION OFFICE):
NAME: __________________________________________________ ______________________
ADDRESS: __________________________________________________ ___________________
PHONE NUMBER OF ACCOMMODATIONS: __________________________________________
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: __________________________________________________ __
VEHICLE MAKE AND MODEL: __________________________________________________ ___
TAG NUMBER: __________________________________________________ ________________
OWNER OF VEHICLE: __________________________________________________ __________
NAME OF AIRLINE: __________________________________________________ _____________
DEPARTURE FLIGHT NUMBER AND TIME: ____________________________________________
RETURN FLIGHT NUMBER AND TIME: ________________________________________________
WILL NEED COPY OF AIRLINE TICKETS PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO VERIFY.
WILL NEED COPY OF RENTAL CAR AGREEMENT IF RENTAL CAR USED.

Probation officer's approval signature.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 01-13-2019 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I would go over his conditions with a fine tooth comb.
Not sure how the feds handle supervision but for state parole hub had conditions to sign.
He also had so many different agents it was not funny. The *interpretation* of his conditions changed with each one. I'd not trust anything that was said orally.
I'd also not travel at all if you dont have written approval each time.
He only has one PO if thatís what you mean by agent. As for terms they are pretty standard minus some of the ones standard ones that the judge took off. This PO is pretty laid back. While my husband has to get a job, he doesnít even care if he works for me (heís not) as long as he sees some sort of check to him. I am sure that all has to do with the not having any sort of monetary obligations and the low risk of my husband so just not something to deal with but who knows?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Here's a USPO travel request form. Apparently some offices have their own. All of the ones I looked at contained the "file 2 weeks prior to travel" requirement. I was also made to check in with the local probation office, but his actual rules will be set by his PO.

U. S. PROBATION OFFICE
PERMISSION TO TRAVEL REQUEST FORM
PERMISSION TO TRAVEL MUST BE SUBMITTED
(2) TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO PLANNED TRAVEL.
DATE:
__________________________________________________ _____________________
NAME: __________________________________________________ _____________________
ADDRESS: __________________________________________________ __________________
YOUR PHONE NUMBER: __________________________________________________ ______
DESTINATION OF TRAVEL: __________________________________________________ ____
DEPARTURE DATE: __________________________________________________ __________
RETURN DATE: __________________________________________________ ______________
PURPOSE OF TRIP: __________________________________________________ __________
PERSONS TRAVELING WITH YOU: ________________________________________________
ACCOMMODATIONS: (MUST BE VERIFIED BY PROBATION OFFICE):
NAME: __________________________________________________ ______________________
ADDRESS: __________________________________________________ ___________________
PHONE NUMBER OF ACCOMMODATIONS: __________________________________________
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: __________________________________________________ __
VEHICLE MAKE AND MODEL: __________________________________________________ ___
TAG NUMBER: __________________________________________________ ________________
OWNER OF VEHICLE: __________________________________________________ __________
NAME OF AIRLINE: __________________________________________________ _____________
DEPARTURE FLIGHT NUMBER AND TIME: ____________________________________________
RETURN FLIGHT NUMBER AND TIME: ________________________________________________
WILL NEED COPY OF AIRLINE TICKETS PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO VERIFY.
WILL NEED COPY OF RENTAL CAR AGREEMENT IF RENTAL CAR USED.

Probation officer's approval signature.
Thanks. Iíll have to ask his attorney about this stuff. He knows this POnwrll and said heís been around forever and is one of the best ones and wonít hassle or give my husband any problems so thatís reassuring. It Just sounds like one more headache to deal with because of course just like anything, when you travel, plans change. Some of these forms seem so antiquated. Not to mention plans change all the time. I guess the bottom line is if he made it through prison he can make it through this and like I keep telling him, we just have to keep our eyes on the prize. Iíve had to live with how this has affected and impacted me and my privacy and guess I will have to for 8 more months until he is done with that supervision and those monthly reports!!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Your husband will need to receive permission from his PO to travel each time. When I request permission I send an email with the dates I want to travel, reason for my travel, If I am driving or flying, and the address where I am staying. Its fairly informal. The PO just emails back saying he has no problem with my trip. Sometimes he will ask just to email him when I return just to let him know I made it back. I am required to request travel 10 days in advance. Each district may be a little different but, when your husband meets with his PO for the first time they will go over this with him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-13-2019), sidewalker (01-15-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:10 PM

On a side note. A co-defendant filed a motion with the judge allowing him to travel internationally without having to ask the judge each time. He only has to notify his PO. I was shocked the judge granted it as I didnt really think that was possible..
The Following User Says Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Regardless of how laid back the actual PO is, failing to follow any of the million or so rules that US Probation puts on everyone who is on their caseload, it is a violation of his SR terms and conditions.

My first PO was a long term employee who made my life as pleasant as he could. A "cup" drug test resulted in a false positive for methamphetamine use, and before the result was debunked by a real medical lab, the PO supervisor ordered the PO to call me into the office and bring proof of any prescriptions I was taking. When the false positive result finally arrived, my PO said it was a very good thing. since actual drug use was a big problem.

Be sure to document any contacts with the PO, especially if they end up being a message left on their answering machine. It probably won't ever become an issue, but POs, COs, Special Agents, etc. may be friendly, but they aren't your friend.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Rockchalk1... you know the issues we have had with the ever changing PO and her "rules"... I suggest as the others have said and make sure every single time the PO knows and approves.... in writing.

I think what sidewalker is saying is that just because he has a certain PO now, it doesn't mean he'll have the same PO throughout his whole probation period and with the "power" they have they often interpret things differently. As fbopnomore said one of his PO's was a long-term employee... I have heard those are the best PO's because they have been around a while and pretty much have set standards, but that doesn't mean you get to keep that PO the whole time.

IMO you'll want a record of every single travel move and keep it because if PO's are changed a new one may go back and try to violate him on something in the past that the previous PO had allowed but their only reference of being approved is from you're mouth and not the previous PO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-14-2019), sidewalker (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Being overly cautious may appear to be silly, but not if it makes the difference in a potential SR violation.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Sound advice by FBOPNOMORE and others
My PO sent me a letter regarding a change to part of my probation. Like everything else in my case I kept it. He called me last month angry, threatening to violate me for non compliance etc. I calmly and politely finished my phone call with him, and emailed him a copy of the very letter which he had sent me some six months prior. It cleared me and, I am very happy I kept the letter. My PO is very professional and, I believe genuinely cares. I am honest, communicative, polite and professional in return. I feel this helps in the way he treats me and, the relative freedom I receive. With this being said I would never take for granted that in an instant he could violate me without hesitation if I messed up.
The Following User Says Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
Sound advice by FBOPNOMORE and others
My PO sent me a letter regarding a change to part of my probation. Like everything else in my case I kept it. He called me last month angry, threatening to violate me for non compliance etc. I calmly and politely finished my phone call with him, and emailed him a copy of the very letter which he had sent me some six months prior. It cleared me and, I am very happy I kept the letter. My PO is very professional and, I believe genuinely cares. I am honest, communicative, polite and professional in return. I feel this helps in the way he treats me and, the relative freedom I receive. With this being said I would never take for granted that in an instant he could violate me without hesitation if I messed up.
Totally agree with all of this. You're the felon and right or wrong, you're always going to be considered the liar because these people will never own up to their being the ones that have made the mistake as sad as that is! My husband isn't even planning on drinking, even though he's allowed, or if he does, we plan on me driving just to avoid any issues because if he gets in a car accident or pulled over for any reason, we do not want to take any chances. Not worth it.

As for traveling internationally, I think certain things are not that difficult to get approval with the Judge's permission, especially if you don't owe any restitution. That really seems to be the big thing. We have planned a vacation for next December and the final payment is due right around the time we will be seeking termination of release from SR. Our attorney said it will not be a problem getting permission to go even if the release isn't terminated.

The terms of his SR are pretty boring. If he doesn't get a job, he has to do community service. But even that's limited. Fortunately there are no job requirements though, so he doesn't have to work full-time, he can work for anyone he wants, or for himself, and he can do anything he wants, other than what he was indicted for which was an activity he hadn't done since 2006 anyway. It's just really making sure he doesn't have any contact with police or accidents, etc. I have even heard that ultimately they don't even care if you have contact with other felons. Go figure. But 100%, with email these days, definitely need to get it all in writing!! Fortunately our lawyer has said his PO is one of the best and he has been doing it the longest (24 years or something like that). I don't anticipate a change, unless the guy retires, but he doesn't look old enough to retire, but anything can happen these days and with our wonderful government. He even did our home visit last May.

Of course, we need another home visit by the HWH as they can't just go off the PO home visit. Waste of resources!

Just over 2 weeks and he'll be out of there. Figures it's just when our weather is getting bad and colder again.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Totally agree with all of this. You're the felon and right or wrong, you're always going to be considered the liar because these people will never own up to their being the ones that have made the mistake as sad as that is! My husband isn't even planning on drinking, even though he's allowed, or if he does, we plan on me driving just to avoid any issues because if he gets in a car accident or pulled over for any reason, we do not want to take any chances. Not worth it.

As for traveling internationally, I think certain things are not that difficult to get approval with the Judge's permission, especially if you don't owe any restitution. That really seems to be the big thing. We have planned a vacation for next December and the final payment is due right around the time we will be seeking termination of release from SR. Our attorney said it will not be a problem getting permission to go even if the release isn't terminated.

The terms of his SR are pretty boring. If he doesn't get a job, he has to do community service. But even that's limited. Fortunately there are no job requirements though, so he doesn't have to work full-time, he can work for anyone he wants, or for himself, and he can do anything he wants, other than what he was indicted for which was an activity he hadn't done since 2006 anyway. It's just really making sure he doesn't have any contact with police or accidents, etc. I have even heard that ultimately they don't even care if you have contact with other felons. Go figure. But 100%, with email these days, definitely need to get it all in writing!! Fortunately our lawyer has said his PO is one of the best and he has been doing it the longest (24 years or something like that). I don't anticipate a change, unless the guy retires, but he doesn't look old enough to retire, but anything can happen these days and with our wonderful government. He even did our home visit last May.

Of course, we need another home visit by the HWH as they can't just go off the PO home visit. Waste of resources!

Just over 2 weeks and he'll be out of there. Figures it's just when our weather is getting bad and colder again.
From my research and understanding, you need both your PO's authorization, and the authorization from the district office to where you are travelling which can cause delays and issues.
I don't believe getting authorization either place is difficult except for people who are out on certain charges, but there could be time delays. We were told to be proactive, and plan ahead in order to give enough time to get these authorizations.
The Following User Says Thank You to fentastic0076 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,235 Times in 14,699 Posts

Yes. Agents is what they call them in CA (parole agents, not officers.....at least they always seems to refer to themselves that way) and yes to what Girl said....he only had one agent at a time but they changed them so often....I think in total he had like 16 different ones. Some as short as 2 weeks. (but this was state.......)

Just be careful. They can and will revoke if they want to.

We just tried to give them zero reason.

Still didnt stop one guy from giving my hub a 10 day flash back in county for *breaking* a condition. He didnt but since he could do it and didnt really like my hub, he did. Released him with no further comment, then hub got switched to another new agent.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Never heard of anyone here having to tell a PO somewhere else or get permission. Maybe it depends on the crime? Our lawyer has also made it clear none of this would be an issue. But I guess, until we are dealing with it, we won't know.

His PO will meet with us when he is at the HWH for orientation and that will be a question on my list since he has said that is the only time he will ever see or meet with my husband. Which I find odd in itself, but I guess they are overworked and have too big of a caseload. He did the home visit last May even though my husband wasn't being released until now. So much could have changed since May, but guess he just wanted to cross it off his list. He actually showed up unannounced when no one was home, so he had to come back another time. I guess in the future though, we should be prepared that even though he said he will probably never see him again, he may just "stop by" unannounced since he is allowed to do that per the terms of SR anyway. Of course, my husband will be working from home, so if hes' going to show up at his place of business, that's where it will be!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,217 Posts

Letting you know he’s okay with your LO traveling within the US isn’t the same thing as as going through the formal process each time. It’s not just an issue of your PO caring, but what happens if you come in contact with police in the area where you’re traveling. If they run his name and see he’s on parole and he doesn’t have proof that it’s been approved, he’ll be sitting in jail until it’s cleared up.

My husband has been “free” to travel since a couple months after he got out, but he still has to send his PO a detailed itinerary, take a drug test, get a paper to take with him that says he has permission to be traveling, and he has to check in with his PO immediately when he gets back in town and take a drug test.

They also only let him leave for a month at a time. We lived in another state for 3 months and he had to fly back every month for another drug test.

And lest you think “What are the odds we’ll come into contact with the police?

I believe my husband has been pulled over for no particular reason 3xs in the last year. Both while out of town. He was assualted once and had contact with the police. And one fender bender (that wasn’t our fault) that resulted in police contact. It happens, even with you aren’t doing anything wrong.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 01-15-2019 at 01:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It sounds like everything could be as easy as you expect it to be, but I don't think you understand how much power the PO has over your husband's continued freedom. If the PO is as nice as everyone seems to think, your husband will probably only have to file a monthly report from his home computer. There are countless others though who have ended up back in prison, for a new crime "violating supervised release" for minor, petty issues.

A guy I knew in bop prison spent nearly two additional years in prison for the dastardly crime of eating lunch, in a public restaurant, with someone who had a long ago felony conviction. Many people do complete SR without any "violations", but not everyone does, not by a long shot.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 PM

So after further research and talking to people here in the same situation as us, except these people actually still have outstanding restitution and longer periods of supervision, the good news is that this parole office you only have to send an email to let them know you're traveling with an itinerary, after the 60 day period after HWH/HC is up and you do not need to notify anyone where you are traveling to that you are in that jurisdiction. It apparently is very easy peasy and the least stressful thing about the whole process.

Also after talking to a lot of people that have to wear ankle monitors, that is something they also don't do here. So we won't be needing to worry about one of those if he eventually does get his home confinement.

Of course, anything can change at the drop of a hat, but I think since they're so overworked and have too heavy of caseloads, they don't want to deal with a lot of the low risk white collar people. I guess if my husband owed money or had something pending against him, he would be at risk, but his incident was in 2006, he wasn't indicted until 2014 and he had a stellar career and no incidents after that period of time so it's sort of like one of those things that they're just going through the motions babysitting some senior dude who there's no risk to letting him travel or anything since if they're not monitoring him, it's not like he's running off with some ridiculous amount of $ that he owes someone, because he doesn't owe anyone anything. So there's nothing in it for the gov't other than a waste of resources, but this PO just has to go through the motions.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Never heard of anyone here having to tell a PO somewhere else or get permission. Maybe it depends on the crime? Our lawyer has also made it clear none of this would be an issue. But I guess, until we are dealing with it, we won't know.

His PO will meet with us when he is at the HWH for orientation and that will be a question on my list since he has said that is the only time he will ever see or meet with my husband. Which I find odd in itself, but I guess they are overworked and have too big of a caseload. He did the home visit last May even though my husband wasn't being released until now. So much could have changed since May, but guess he just wanted to cross it off his list. He actually showed up unannounced when no one was home, so he had to come back another time. I guess in the future though, we should be prepared that even though he said he will probably never see him again, he may just "stop by" unannounced since he is allowed to do that per the terms of SR anyway. Of course, my husband will be working from home, so if hes' going to show up at his place of business, that's where it will be!

I found my PO when I first met him fairly easy going. I walked out of the office after the first meeting thinking this is going to be a peace of cake and, whats the big deal. I can tell you the first six months was in no way difficult but, it was more restrictive and with more check ups then I thought. I received home visits, drug tests (which was not required by the judge), phone call check ins, random requests to come into the office and, when asking to travel he was much more inquisitive then I thought he would be. After six months things got less intrusive and after a year I almost never hear from him. My point is, its best not to take anything for granted. I don't want to imply that my supervision is some awful thing. My PO has been very fair and I realize I am on federal probation but, it is certainly different then the laid back impression my PO first gave me.

Just to add-- I too was white collar like your husband, paid off all restitution before sentencing and am probably the lowest risk person my PO has. My advice is too every day realize you are on probation and, that someone is looking over your shoulder at every thing you do. Then if it turns out your PO is as cool as they seem it will come as a pleasant surprise but, you will be prepared if they turn out not to be.

Last edited by worldwide; 01-15-2019 at 10:25 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-16-2019), Girl22472 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
I found my PO when I first met him fairly easy going. I walked out of the office after the first meeting thinking this is going to be a peace of cake and, whats the big deal. I can tell you the first six months was in no way difficult but, it was more restrictive and with more check ups then I thought. I received home visits, drug tests (which was not required by the judge), phone call check ins, random requests to come into the office and, when asking to travel he was much more inquisitive then I thought he would be. After six months things got less intrusive and after a year I almost never hear from him. My point is, its best not to take anything for granted. I don't want to imply that my supervision is some awful thing. My PO has been very fair and I realize I am on federal probation but, it is certainly different then the laid back impression my PO first gave me.

Just to add-- I too was white collar like your husband, paid off all restitution before sentencing and am probably the lowest risk person my PO has. My advice is too every day realize you are on probation and, that someone is looking over your shoulder at every thing you do. Then if it turns out your PO is as cool as they seem it will come as a pleasant surprise but, you will be prepared if they turn out not to be.
Yep, hear ya In our case it's 4 months of this nonsense, since the first 60 days he can't go anywhere anyway without a really good reason to do so and fortunately we have no events out of town and it's the end of the school year, so we will just be acclimating to him being back and getting into the routine. His thing does say he can have up to 2 tests/week I think, so anything is possible. The lawyer fortunately, knows this PO well and that is reassuring as he has said he is one of the best ones and he really won't bother us but I've come to learn in this process, expect the unexpected. Just over 2 weeks until he's out, 53 days of HC/HWH, 60 days of no travel, and then 120 days more of being someone else's bitch before it is all finally over! For a total of about 250 days more. We can do it!!

Honestly, I make all the travel plans, so I don't really care if they want our itinerary. They can have at it. Moving my daughters into their respective colleges is not going to be fun, so if they think my husband is getting into mischief and want to follow him or whatever, they can have all the fun they want. We are about as boring as can get.

I think the worst part is actually going to have to provide an itinerary a week in advance when he is on home confinement. That seems so annoying especially when we don't always know our plans a week in advance, but I guess we'll just overplan as it's better to expect to go out as opposed to not. I'm just happy that he won't have to wear an ankle bracelet, although not thrilled at all that they will be calling our house in the middle of the night. Wondering what happens if he doesn't get to the phone in time since right now it is set up in the bathroom. Or, what if they call and it's busy because someone is actually on the line using it since you can't have any features?? I would love to just take that thing and leave it off the hook all night, but of course know that's not possible! I laugh, like really, where do they think we would be in the middle of the night in suburbia? Nothing is open around here and if these people did their jobs and research or analysis then they would know who is truly a risk and who isn't and not waste their time, but of course, when these night watchmen have nothing better to do, of course they're just going to go through a list and call and wake everyone up at night!! Some of them must just love doing that!!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Regardless of how laid back the actual PO is, failing to follow any of the million or so rules that US Probation puts on everyone who is on their caseload, it is a violation of his SR terms and conditions.

My first PO was a long term employee who made my life as pleasant as he could. A "cup" drug test resulted in a false positive for methamphetamine use, and before the result was debunked by a real medical lab, the PO supervisor ordered the PO to call me into the office and bring proof of any prescriptions I was taking. When the false positive result finally arrived, my PO said it was a very good thing. since actual drug use was a big problem.

Be sure to document any contacts with the PO, especially if they end up being a message left on their answering machine. It probably won't ever become an issue, but POs, COs, Special Agents, etc. may be friendly, but they aren't your friend.

This is true. I was given permission to go to Texas in December 2014. I went. Then at a subsequent revocation hearing, the P.O. wrote that permission was never given. They didnít violate me on that particular event but it did make its way into the narrative on the other violation I was charged with.

So be careful. I had permission to travel but my incompetent P.O. didnít remember giving permission. Luckily I had email correspondence from her, but that still didnít stop her from trying to include it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-18-2019), WeepingWillow (01-20-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
This is true. I was given permission to go to Texas in December 2014. I went. Then at a subsequent revocation hearing, the P.O. wrote that permission was never given. They didnít violate me on that particular event but it did make its way into the narrative on the other violation I was charged with.

So be careful. I had permission to travel but my incompetent P.O. didnít remember giving permission. Luckily I had email correspondence from her, but that still didnít stop her from trying to include it.
I looked at my husbands conditions of Supervised Release. Fortunately they don't seem that bad. I guess we'll see how bad they wind up being. The one I was most worried about which had to do with not opening up new lines of credit or not using credit cards, wound up getting stricken during sentencing. So that nuisance one is gone. Also, on the report he has to send to the PO every month, I noticed there's something there about expenditures over $500 to list. I already told my husband, he is not to charge anything over $500. If we need to buy anything that is more than that, we will just use my credit card since it doesn't ask for my expenditures. I should also probably make sure anything large we need to spend we spend while he is still in the HWH as opposed to on SR since there are no forms like that during that period of time, but there's nothing he's buying then, so I'm not bothering.

I'm amazed they give only one line on the form for bank accounts. And worse, I think when you sign the form they say something like you're signing it stating it's all true and if not you're subject to some huge fine and like 5 years of prison. It should say instead something like "to the best of my knowledge this is all true". Because if I give my husband the wrong amount of my assets, then he's entrusting me with that number I give him and he can be punished by my giving him the wrong amount. I think the best thing to do is to put in there "I don't know" and then if the PO has a problem with it, to just explain why he doesn't know and that he put that because he didn't want to put a number down and then sign saying everything he said was truthful in case that wasn't accurate, besides the fact that I'm not the felon, had nothing to do with the crime, and it's my money, not his money so why the hell should it go on the form. Some of it is not even marital assets and my husband has no right or claim to them. And, if he did still owe a fine or restitution, the FLU wouldn't even be able to come after me, so why would he be required to list that on some stupid ass form the PO requires?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Because they can. SR is all about control anyway. I always put "unknown" for questions about my wife's bank accounts because I didn't.

Also be careful about having him use your cards to avoid reporting large purchases. All it would take is his signature, or photo on the "surveillance video". Finding ways to go around SR requirements is never a good idea anyway.