Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 AM

Question Worth it to hire a parole assistant?

Hi all,

I'm (very unfortunately) facing the possibility of a 2 year federal jail sentence in Canada.

I want to be as prepared as possible to make sure the parole process happens in the best way possible.

I've been doing some research about all this -- there seem to be services that provide "Parole Packets" / "Parole Assistance".

Are these services (in your opinion) worth the money or investment?

Any resources, or tips appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,951 Times in 12,167 Posts

I don't know about Canada, but I didn't hire one in the US.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Полезный дурак

Hi, my husband is serving federal time in a Canadian institution. We are not even close to parole but here is what I can tell you.

I opine that those services seem like a waste of money. As you know, you will be eligible for parole @ 1 / 3 of your sentence. If your sentence will really be 2 years, you will be eligible for parole in under a year.

If you are not granted parole, you will most likely be out on statutory release, which means, you serve that last 1 / 3 in the community any way.

For the amount of time of which you are dealing, it does not seem like a good investment .

First chance of parole is usually dismal w a 70 % denial rate, but many things matter here.

Usually those w non - violent crimes where the safety of the public is not at risk have the best shot .

If you want the best shot @ first chance of parole, the Board looks @ your past criminal convictions [ why you are inside ], your behaviour while incarcerated and if you gave your best effort in the programming laid out in your correctional plan and lastly, a stable plan after your release. These are key .

All of this is upon you to do while in the system. I doubt assistance would help .

Perhaps another Canadian - system person will come to correct me / give better advice . Good luck !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM

I am a correctional officer, in the United States. I don't have first hand knowledge on many of the services that people offer such as "parole assistant" etc. But what I have read about services like this I would put it more in line with a "scam". They might feed you information you can find yourself or the inmate can find himself.

The only service I would consider would be an actual lawyer who is familiar with Parole and probation that would help with legal work and filing papers etc.

But many groups I have seen have been started by ex-cons themselves basically to just pass on open source knowledge. Some groups such as "we will prepare you for prison" or "how to survive in prison" or "How to get placed in the right institution"
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-17-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,608 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper23 View Post
Hi all,

I'm (very unfortunately) facing the possibility of a 2 year federal jail sentence in Canada.

I want to be as prepared as possible to make sure the parole process happens in the best way possible.

I've been doing some research about all this -- there seem to be services that provide "Parole Packets" / "Parole Assistance".

Are these services (in your opinion) worth the money or investment?

Any resources, or tips appreciated.

I would be leery of any service that you aren't familiar with. There are several sources for parole guides that are free. They are US based but I bet could be tweaked to use in Canada. Here is a link to one for Georgia that gives insight. https://www.schr.org/files/post/ParoleHandbook.pdf
The National Incarceration Association also has prepared a parole guide that has examples of what to include & other info. It is also geared for Georgia but the suggested info to include would help you with formatting yours. You can reach out to them & ask for a copy of theirs. https://joinnia.com/contact-us

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-22-2019)