Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Bryan Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bryan Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Women's Federal Prison Camp located in Bryan, Texas

Old 12-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Default SS soon to Bryan FPC

I was just sentenced a few days ago. The judge approved where I wanted to go...chose Bryan as I have family that lives a few hours away (I'm in Montana). I'm curious about the dorms... details please and will other inmates help you acclimate? This is the only time I have been incarcerated and am at a total loss.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the judge does not make the decision of where you will be going the BOP does. The judge can recommend a facility but it doesn't really mean anything. The BOP will put you where they want to.

Do you know your SS date? With the holidays everything moves a little slower. A few weeks before you are to SS you should get a letter saying where you will be going. You could very easily be sent to Colorado.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM

I do not have my SS date yet. Just got sentenced this past Friday. I know that the judge can only recommend, there aren't any minimum security prisons for women closer to me. The options I was given were Bryan or somewhere in WV.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Sorry, I didn't even pay attention to the fact that you are a woman. Are you going to a camp?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:53 PM

I would assume a camp since you are SS. I am sorry you are going through this. It is a very scary time. How long is your sentence?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM

12 months and 1 day
Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM

That 1 day is good! You will qualify for good time. I think one of the worst parts is waiting to SS. I know when we were going through it we just wanted to get it over with. My family member was in a camp for a white collar crime. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't the end of the world.
fbopnomore (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,926 Times in 12,157 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. You will earn 47 days of good time off of your 1 year/1 day sentence. If it was 1 year only, you wouldn't have earned any "good time".

There are PTO members who have completed their sentences in female minimum security camps, so I hope you receive answers to your questions. There are probably more similarities between the conditions in different camps than there are differences.

Here's the link to the bop Bryan web page. The A$O handbook is the inmate rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/bry/
Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM

So what I was looking to find out might sound like naive question, but I am naive when it comes to this. I don't know what you are allowed to take in with you. Can I wear my own shoes? It's stuff like that
The Following User Says Thank You to blaze10287 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,926 Times in 12,157 Posts

Going to prison for the first time is definitely confusing, and learning some of what you will actually experience ahead of time is very wise. bop minimum security camps are the best possible situation. My advice, ignore everything you see on the sensationalized prison TV shows. The biggest problem you are likely to face is boredom. Be respectful and choose your friends wisely for the least amount of drama during your sentence.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM

You really can't take anything. They will give you clothes, and shoes when you arrive. You can take glasses, and a small religious pendant. My family member took glasses and that is all.

He said the boredom was the worst part. He read a lot of books and walked around the track probably 4 hours a day.

You will also want to have family or friends put money on your books ASAP. That way you can get some necessities.
fbopnomore (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM

It's been a while since I was there (I left in 2010) but doubtful that much has changed. First, there are no safety issues. You will meet plenty of good ladies who are happy to help you out. When I left there was even a "big sister" program. It was my first time, too. Just like any new situation, stay quiet at first and just watch what goes on. Soon enough, you will meet ladies who share your interests and values. Happy to answer any specific questions. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Patient2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-12-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Well, I got my surrender letter today - have to surrender to Bryan on January 10th
The Following User Says Thank You to blaze10287 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-17-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 AM

Thanked 1,458 Times in 738 Posts

You'll really only wind up serving just over 9 months due to good time credit and halfway house eligibility which will be about 1 month.

Also, if the senate ever gets around to passing the prison/sentence reform bill, you may even get a few extra days off because they're supposedly finally fixing the time they short people which gives them 7 days per year additional (or something like that). I know my husband would be getting out 7 days earlier, but even if it passes, by the time it's enacted and they get their crap together, he will be out. It may make a difference on the back end for him with HWH time, but by then who cares? He has a short HWH stay if any and the point is to get out of the prison early!

Anyway, my husband's sentence is 18 months, he is at a camp and will wind up serving just over a year. He comes home in January and it has whizzed by. Maybe not so much for him, but on our end definitely. He has kept himself extremely busy, taken advantage of every positive thing the prison has to offer to help make the time go by fast. He works out, he teaches in the GED program, he teaches classes at night in their "enrichment" classes, he applied and was accepted for something called an In/Out class with members in the community at a local college, he has probably read about 30 books, has written 2 books, and a ton more but most importantly, has stayed out of trouble.

It is easy to find trouble. You just have to avoid it.

He was even asked to be a consigliere (term from the godfather) but he literally doesn't want to be involved in any of that nonsense. He's not trying to be liked by one side or the other, just wants to be left alone. So he declined. I guess it at least meant he was respected enough to be asked and thank god he is left alone. But if you knew him, you would laugh.

Anyway, like I said, it is really what you make of it, and before you know it the 9 months will go by, you'll learn a valuable lesson hopefully, and get home before you know it.

You can bring in glasses, cash (but it's easier to western union yourself some a day before - it shows up within hours), wedding ring without stones, bible and some other things. Check their website. You should mail yourself in advance a list of all your email contacts, your mailing addresses and phone numbers, medicines, a list of books you would like to read so you can tell people what to send you, you judgment, proof you paid restitution if you have paid it, and things like that. You should also make sure someone on the outside has your POA and access to your passwords and such in case they need to access anything like that. Also, someone will need to take care of your tax return. You can put it on extension until Oct 15, but you won't be out by then if you're SS date isn't until 1/10. It'll be close but you'll just miss it I believe.

Make sure bills and such are paid up as well and get your affairs in order. It sounds daunting but if you're organized it's not so bad. We disconnected my husband's cell phone and he's just going to get a new number once home. Wasn't worth paying $50/month just to keep a line open.

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM

The food was good 2 years ago, and I even ate much healthier when I was there. The CO in charge of the kitchen prided himself on getting the basic menu and then tons of extras with his allotted $$. There is a cosmo program and they will cut your hair for free, with appointments and will die it if you pay for the color at commissary. I would get a great die job for $8 or so.
I took in my eye glasses and a ring, the rest they mailed back home at their expense.
Find a hobby, they have a great library and you can special request which will come from local libraries all the way to Austin.
It really was like a slumber party but one you cant leave with people you would rather be away from. Yes, you will make friends here and there and they are the most authentic people you will meet, but what do you have to lose there when everything is stripped away.
The Following User Says Thank You to TexMom2013 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM

Something I will add, although again different because you're going to a woman's camp and obviously a different facility than where my husband is at, but we did a ton of research and requested to the judge placement at 2 facilities. While the judge honored our requests, there is no guarantee my husband would get the placement. Fortunately he did. We were very careful with our research and from stories I've heard, most definitely made the right decision, even if the weather has sucked and I've had to fly to visit him.

That said, I asked him last week during my visit (he's now been there just over a year - Saturday will be 13 months) and is beginning his final month as he gets out 1 months from today, if it was better or worse than he expected it to be. He told me that when he first got there he thought to himself there was no way he was going to make it. It was awful and he didn't know how he would do it. He even had someone tell him recently that they also didn't think he would make it. I was very worried if he would be able to handle it. It's not that my husband is used to fancy things or people doing things for him or anything like that, but my husband is a total wimp and not a tough guy at all. Afraid he would get beat up. I had to reassure him a camp isn't like that. But he tends to be too trusting and a sucker and I had to essentially beat it into him beforehand not to trust anyone. I probably did a good job. Anyway, he had a few incidents, getting stuff stolen while he was at chow and being pissed about it, having an incident in the shower where he started showering at different times, being asked to be consigliere (see Godfather) which is just hysterical knowing him but he came to be well respected and kept out of other's business and known to be honest and trustworthy, etc. and found his way. Key - as I said, stayed out of trouble, stayed out of everyone's business, and did not get into any trouble. A lot of people come to him for advice, know he is a good guy, value his opinion, and even some of the CO's look to him to run a class, sit in on certain things, or whatever. He's not viewed as a snitch or a "pet" or anything special, just someone who is respected and has done their time and wants' to get out of there and as he told me, once he got past the first few months, it is not as bad as he thought it would be, but yes he wants to get the hell out of there. He doesn't want to be there any longer than he has to be.

One problem with these places is that a roommate or others can screw it up for everyone, so you just need to be careful of that. His roommates are thinking of switching rooms before he leaves so that they don't wind up with a loser that replaces him. He of course is worried that if they do that he will get a bad person for the remainder of time. So the problem is that as his time winds down he is getting overanxious that something bad will happen and he won't get out. So, you just have to hang tight but know that it perhaps may not be as bad as you think it will be. Get a routine going, keep to it and keep yourself busy. I cannot tell you how many times my husband has told me he is so busy there aren't enough hours in the day to get his stuff done.

Other than going to bed early, around 10, he gets up at the crack of dawn everyday as soon as the camp opens and is on the go. A lot of guys nap (both his roommates nap daily), he has not napped once. He literally is out doing things from 6am-10pm. He said that has helped make time go fast.

Good luck. I have seen guys with braids but don't know if women have a code for hair.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:19 PM

aWhen I left (in 2010) they were just starting a "big sister" program where someone was specifically assigned to help the newcomers. Otherwise, like when I arrived, there were several ladies who helped me through those first few days. One loaned me a blanket (it was cold at night), one loaned me stamps so I could write home while waiting for my phone access to be set up. Once I got situated, I made sure I always had a new pair of shower shoes ($1.00 thongs at commissary) to give to the new ladies. Yes, they will help you. There were college classes. There were also plenty of activities... library, church things, crafts, exercise classes, and a track... so you could keep yourself busy and even learn something. Good luck. Happy to answer any other questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patient2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 PM

Take Patient2's advice and reach out to her since she is offering and ask her everything you can think of under the sun. In our research, this is something we did of former inmates. I cannot tell you how much this helped my husband. He was still scared to go in, but it at least helped with some of the expectations and prepared him. He was way more prepared than others. His place also allows them to check out books through the local library. Before he went in he went through books he wanted to read and have sent in and sent himself the list and gave me a list so throughout the year he would have me check if the books were available to be checked out at the library there or not as sometimes he would request them and they would come back unavailable. This saved a ton of $, but the key was to have the list in advance.

I also sent him plenty of other books from Amazon that I bought, but that's because he has this weird thing that he wants to read 2 books about every President and he's collecting them, so any of those had to be new and he sent them back out. I totally thought he would've finished all the damn President's but he is only on Grant. But like I said, he's been super busy in the place, so keep yourself busy, find classes, you'll know quickly who you can trust, and definitely get shower shoes right away!! Be careful who you borrow things from, you don't want to "owe" anyone, but sometimes you need to buy something for someone in commissary as a pay back. That's not a big deal, you just don't want to owe something more than that.

As I have told my husband, just try to suck it up, observe, keep your head down, and get your butt out of there as quickly as possible. I keep saying the time has gone by fast, to him it obviously hasn't, but a year ago I didn't know how we would make it through, but we did and you will too and you will make it through and there are things you will learn about yourself that you didn't know you were capable of, and you will appreciate things in a different way and hopefully you will look forward and come out and be able to start over and appreciate what you have but also realize things could be a lot worse.

Good luck!!