Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How much do you watch, read, listen to Prison related content?
I am obsessed. Movies, tv, books, music, internet groups! 295 37.20%
I am not obsessed, but I do look out for prison related themes. 296 37.33%
I don't look for it, but if I come across it, I'll watch or listen. 170 21.44%
I have way too much other stuff to do! 32 4.04%
Voters: 793. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Soulmates Forever

I will admit it, I was totally obsessed at first with MSNBC, LOCK UP. I have now seen each one at least 4 times. I drove myself crazy with worry watching the whole first year. I've dont allot of reading also. I got my fill and now can "function" just fine(ha ha) without the NEED for it in my face all the time.

Live Simply...
Love Unconditionally...
Care Deeply...
Speak Kindly...
Leave the rest to GOD
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM
5 yrs of infidelity&drugs
Donation Award 

Default Msnbc Lock Up Marathon Labor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG's Baby Girl
Speaking of the MSNBC Show "Lock Up", they are having a "LOCK-UP LABOR DAY MARATHON" on Monday...but from now all through the weekend, there'll be sporadic showings of a couple prisons.

Raquel
Houston, TX

Love the show. Already have the new 'sodes i haven't seen (just 2) including New Mexico- set for reminders. I love when they do marathons. I wish they would get back to a new regular weekly or monthly schedule of NEW shows!

thanks for the heads up.

Battman has been home about three years...
OFF PAROLE IN 4 DAYS 12/21/11!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Starting a fresh NEW life

I have definitely found myself a LOT more interested in prison-related shows...and even "Cops" has become an obsession for me. Sometimes I hate that I keep watching Court TV because you hear/see so many scary things about what goes on....but at the same time, I wanna know, ya know?

Whast is this LOCK UP show? I'm going to have to check that one out.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Soulmates Forever

So I posted oncethe other day, but the other night I saw a new prison show on the Court TV Channel, didnt catch the name but it was a good show. On the same idea of MSNBC Lock Up... seeing as though I have seen EVERY episode of Lock Up, I might try this one for a bit.

Live Simply...
Love Unconditionally...
Care Deeply...
Speak Kindly...
Leave the rest to GOD
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I can recall watching the first two seasons of "Oz" and enjoying them. After that I changed satellite providers and dropped HBO due to the price.

I can't say that I am obsessed with "prison material" in general. However, I have a dear friend in prison and am a staunch opponent of the death penalty, so I certainly spend a fair amount of time reading about or writing about prison-related subjects.

For the most part, I try to stay focused. There are so many issues connected with the American prison system that no individual can possibly study them all properly. My suggestion to all is to find a specific area of special concern to you (e.g. capital punishment, prison living conditions, medical care, you name it) and stick to it. You'll educate yourself better, and if you take the activist route, be far more effective if you concentrate on one subject than if you try to take on everything at once.

Have to admit to a lifelong fascination with SOME prison stories, particularly escape stories and the history of Alcatraz. It amazes me what some people can accomplish with so few resources, but plenty of time on their hands.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 850 Posts

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this.

For me, it's like a crack addiction. I should know better, but...

I watch Law & Order, Lockup, CourtTV and the reality-based documentaries. Not so much the Hollywood portrayals. I spend waaaayyyy too much time on PTO. If I could go back to college, I'd study criminal justice and get a job in the prison or court system.

Have had PTSD ever since before getting released. When I first got out, I was still obsessed. I got involved with our local inmates families association, did religious prison ministry, etc. Trying to help others. Was penpals with a few guys. Then I moved away, tried to put it behind me and focus on other areas of rebuilding my life. But it never really left. So, now I suppose I'm like a dog coming back to wallow in its own vommit... LOL.

I'm sick. I need professional help. And so do every one of all y'all.

Y'all = Texanspeak for "all of you", "each member of said group"
Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
His Ride or Die Ole Lady
Donation Award 

Red face

Im so glad that I read this thread. I really thought that I was the only one that was obsessed with Prison stuff. My family thinks Im nuts, but I just cant seem to get enough. I watch movies and shows, read anything prison related and now have enrolled in College for Criminal Justice that I will start in March. Its good to know that Im not the only one!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
*Officially Missing You*

I am 100% obsessed. But then again, I always have been. I watch almost every prison show that comes on TV (I DVR them all), multiple reruns of Law & Order & CSI & Oz, own a million prison movies. It's a sickness. My family thinks I'm crazy but even my brother watches with me now
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Not really....It makes me sad and I cant wait to leave all this prison stuff behind

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 850 Posts

It is much easier for YOU to leave behind than it will be for your incarcerated loved one.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

I try not because I try not give prison life more power over my life then it has to.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Account Closed

Im not obsessed but i do keep an open eye out for thing in that nature yah know..
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I love him with my all!!!

Thanked 2,053 Times in 945 Posts

AWw I watch lockup msn documenterys I precord the whole season so as not to miss anything. I watch court show I love the show snapped ummm I love my prison movies I have always been intrested in prison since I was a little kid cause my so called "daddy" was in and out of prison his whole life. So I was always interested of what prison was like. So deffinatly I find myself watching shows and reading books I look at prison from the good/bad side.. I am not obessed but I do love it
Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Lemon's #1

I do ever so often catch myself looking for movies or tv events that are prison related,I think that it somewhat keeps me closer to him.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
AZ Husband of a TX inmate

While I have always liked the TV dramas like Law and Order etc, now I tend to be more interested in News that relates to the Prison system. I do a lot more reading and research and try to understand what my wife is living through as opposed to just watching as an addiction.
"Husbands, take good care of your wives. They are weaker than you. So treat them with respect. Honor them as those who will share with you the gracious gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers."

Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Miracle11

I have always been interested in the criminal justice system! I have a masters in criminal justice! We used to have Oz viewing parties, Law and Order (especially special victims unit) is my favorite, and I am always down for watching LockUp on MSNBC! My boyfriend (before he left 8 months ago) used to get so mad when he would come home on a Saturday night and I was up until after midnight watching LockUp! He used to say, I am about to be that program, can you stop making me watch it before my time.

I agree with another poster, I guess in some sort of way (weird or not), it makes me feel connected.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

I am truly obessed with prison stuff, legal stuff, is like I am addicted, and I can't stop myself, it has kind of consumed my life, I went out last night just to force myself to have a break
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I Smell Shenanigans

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,117 Posts

I'm an original OZ fan since I was in junior high and no I'm not obsessed with prison crap. If I run across it I'll watch it.

Rest In Peace Chad. I LOVE YOU and I MISS YOU!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts

I have always been interested in criminal investigating and such things. When I was younger, I wanted to be a medical examiner/ coroner. Why do I find these things interesting, who knows, but I do. I love crime scene investigating, it highly interests me, the ins and outs of it all. But it has nothing to do with Michael being locked up. As for watching the show Lock-up on MSNBC, they only show what will get ratings and that is violence. I have watched the show, but I do not agree with it. It is just brain washing society into believing you can lump all criminals into one and you can't. My husband is NOTHING like any person I have ever seen on any of the shows. He isn't perfect, but he isn't some hard a$$ criminal either. They only show the worst parts of prison on those shows, and while prison is a bad place, there are decent people who get themselves into trouble and are just doing their time trying to get back home and don't get into trouble in prison.

I love crime dramas and stuff like that, but for the most part, I am only interested in the real stuff. But I will say 2 of my all time favorite movies are Dead Man Walking and Shawshank Redemption. I won't go out of my way to watch prison related things just because Michael is in prison however. the only one who can teach me what he is going through is him, everything else is bull$hit.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

I guess it's different being in the UK. Different criminal justice system, different prisons and evenb different shows. I watched a show on SQ once and that was enough. To know my man is there and the life he is forced to live just makes me want to dwell in my ignorant bliss.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I guess I can say I'm more interested in prison stuff than most people I know. I guess it's mostly because I have pp's in prison.

After I got my pp's I started watching Prison Break. Now I'm watching it for the second time but it's mostly because Scofield is so damn HOT
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Under the circumstances, I just recently became "obsessed" in a way. I've been watching every prison documentary that airs on TV, watching things about prison on YouTube, reading tons of PTO threads, etc. I'm just lost, nervous, and totally inexperienced about what's happening to my friend. I'm trying to get the best understanding that a non-prisoner can get without bombarding my friend with unwanted questions. This situation is so difficult, scary, and sad.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

i am completely not ashamed to say i'm obsessed! lol while i don't spend my day to day life just searching for all things prison related, i will watch anything to do with and read up as much as possible. I'm one of those people though who wants to know exactly what is going on and what my baby has to go through so here on the outside I don't feel so confused as to what is happening. no surprises for me! i dont feel as alone and i feel like i am able to easier understand as much as possible

Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com
Old 05-09-2010, 10:46 PM

I love lock up.....
Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Smile

I want to feel closer to him so i am online constantly just looking for pictures stories and things. At first i thought he might find this weird (all the questions and stuff), but he just took it as love.