Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA > Iowa General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Iowa General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Iowa that do not fit into any other Iowa subforum.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 AM

Default How many use Corrlinks?

I was just curious how many people on here use corrlinks to keep in contact with their loved ones.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Donation Award 

I use Corrlinks. I find it very good most of the time. Sometimes it is a bit slow and my man thinks I haven't emailed him but generally I am so grateful for it.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Default Corr Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcha View Post
I was just curious how many people on here use corrlinks to keep in contact with their loved ones.
My boyfriend is in IMCC, sent there for 3rd offense drunk driving. Not sure where he will end up after classification but there for now. He has been there about a month now, still in reception so he can't have visitors and he was just able to make his first phone call yesterday, yay...so good to hear his voice. I've never had any experience with the prison system before so I had no idea what tools are available to the LO on the outside. I found Corrlinks shortly after he went in so I have used it regularly to keep him connected to all of us back home. He is self-employed, and is a homeowner, and so there are many issues that he needs to be aware of so I have used Omail almost every day to communicate things/decisions he needs to make. The letters from him are slow to get here but thank goodness for omail because at least I have been able to communicate those issues to him. Without OMail, it would have been a month before I could have communicated any of that information to him. SS and I went to high school together, we are in our forties and have been dating for 2 years but we don't live together. Now that he is locked up I'm left to handle much of his business out here...so CorrLinks has been a blessing. It has also helped me to still feel connected to him, I've been able to "talk" to him every day in the emails. I have to admit though, that it has sometimes felt frustrating to engage in one-way communication while waiting for his letters to arrive.

SS tells me that he receives my emails the next day, they are printed off and delivered by the CO with regular mail. I don't know if or when he will have the ability to return emails but I'm using it as a way to funnel information to him. Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM

I use Corrlinks all the time. If my friend has enough money on his books he will reply that day. When i use it if i send it early enough he will get it that day. It just depends when the message is sent. I think there could be upgrades to the site. Maybe we could get a notification saying they got the message. Sometimes omail is down and we just don't know. Other then that i think its a great site however i think its very lame that it cost inmates 5 dollars to use omail and people on the outside 10 sometimes you just don't need all those messages. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,090 Posts

I used corrlinks while my bf was still in prison and use it every now and we use it every now and then to communicate with one of his friend's who is still incarcerated. Not sure if every state is different when it comes to Corrlinks but we never have to pay as people on the outside so I am surprised porcha needs to pay. They are able to access the computers and email themselves for a fee but I have heard places where they are printed and handed to them too
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,743 Posts

I use Corrlinks quite a bit. It is more convenient, cheaper, and a bit faster than postal mail. My guy is in Anamosa, and he is able to e-mail back. I think (correct me if I'm wrong!) that all of the prisons now have the ability for inmates to e-mail back... the exception being inmates in reception at IMCC/Oakdale. Inmates in reception get the e-mails printed off and delivered with the regular mail, and can't respond via e-mail. But the guys at IMCC general population can.

Each prison handles the Corrlinks differently. At Anamosa, they screen them or something and only push them through once a day, between 11pm and 1am. At other prisons, people are able to e-mail back and forth several times a day.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM

I use it a lot and so do many of our friends. We can omail back and forth throughout the day; weekends are slower though. Sometimes the format gets messed up and it's hard to read, but that has been better lately.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM

My friend is in fdcf. If he has money on his books he can go check it himself to see if ive wrote him. If he has no money then they just check once and day and print it off for him. Im shocked people got it for free lucky them because it always cost me money its not to bad you get a lot of messages so i guess its fair
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM

I use corrlinks and I also bought the appfor only 6.95 for the whole year to get the messages directly to my phone..I respond immediately. It is a bit slow it takes about 2 hours each way. But it is sooo convenient and I do not know what I would do without it! We email about 3-4 times a day.