Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California: County & City Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California: County & City Jail Discussions Topics & Discussions relating to County & City Jails in California.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Good Egg

Question Protective Custody or Special Needs in LA County?

Hello everybody! I'm in Los Angeles and probably going to be accepting a plea agreement that involves time in County Jail. I have a lot of questions about the jails in LA.

When I first got arrested on these accusations, I was told that I would be separated for Protective Custody because the accusations involved sex crimes, and because I have high functioning autism. Then they put me in solitary, which was horrible, it was a 90 degree hot concrete box that was almost sound-proof. Some time later, a kind/friendly CO told me that I was going to be transferred somewhere if I wasn't bailed out by the next day. I asked if the place I was going would be better or worse than that solitary box, and he said "better". He seemed trustworthy.

I bailed out before I was transferred. I've googled all over, and asked friends and family on both sides of the cage, but get a lot of mixed responses. Some say Protective Custody is the same as solitary, complete isolation, 23 hours a day in the box, restricted visitation and phone calls, etc, and only the reason you're there is different. Others have said Protective Custody is nothing like Solitary, you are just housed with other PC inmates, similar to Special Needs Yards in Prison (do they have that in jail?). I attribute the mixed responses to the fact that different jails and states handle things differently.

So what I want to know is, what is it like in Los Angeles? I had been in Twin Towers at the time (or near there I think? It was downtown). What is Protective Custody like in LA? Will I be serving my time in those steaming hot solitary confinement boxes? Is there something more humane for PC inmates in County Jail? What is the "better" place I would have been transferred to? What can I do to improve my time/treatment as a PC? School, church, trustee, work, or is all of this restricted to me in PC?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Last edited by Cachu; 03-11-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,359 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience in the "hot box." Unfortunately a lot of times, upon initial arrest and evaluation, the best that the jail can do is isolate you from GenPop.

There are units within the jail that deal with people with mental illness and disorders, I believe in Twin Towers. I'm not sure if that's where they would house you, but that would make the most sense to me.

Beyond that I'm not really sure what you can and can't do in a long term PC environment. If you are on a specialized unit for mental health you may be able to do some of the things you're asking about. Visitation for the unit would probably be regular. I'm just not sure.

However, unless it's for short-term protection or placement assessment purposes, you shouldn't find yourself back in solitary.

You may be able to talk to an administrator at the jail and get answers to these questions in advance. Remember, jail policies and security protocol are always subject to change, so even the limited information I've given you here might be out-dated. They won't be able to give you 5 star hotel service of course, but if they know you're coming and that you need some degree of accomodation, they may be able to at least explain non-sensitive parts of the process so you can know what to expect.

Jail is not a pleasant place, but L.A. County is well-equipped to house you as adequately as any other county jail in the country. I wouldn't say they can guarantee a comfortable stay (jail's supposed to be uncomfortable,) but given your condition they may be willing to work with you to prepare for what you're facing and maybe give you some advice on what services you may utilize once inside.

Sadly, though, our justice system is not generally well-equipped to deal with autism and mental health issues. I hope that LASD will work with you to ensure you don't endure any further cruel/unusual punishment.

-E

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Cachu (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 AM
Good Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
You may be able to talk to an administrator at the jail and get answers to these questions in advance.
-E
Thanks so much for your kind words. Contacting someone at the jail sounds great. Would you happen to know how I'd go about doing that? Should I just call the jail's main phone line and ask to speak to an administrator?

It's good to know that I likely wouldn't be kept in that same place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cachu For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachu View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words. Contacting someone at the jail sounds great. Would you happen to know how I'd go about doing that? Should I just call the jail's main phone line and ask to speak to an administrator?

It's good to know that I likely wouldn't be kept in that same place.
Well, getting proper housing situated may take a few days, so there is a chance that you might spend a few days in isolation. The up-side is, if you know there's a time limit on that and you've already experienced it once, you can sort of mentally prepare yourself for that wait if it is necessary.

I'm not clear on who exactly to contact specifically at the jail, but since Twin Towers handles a lot of that, I'd call their main line, explain you're about to be sentenced to a county jail term and have high-functioning autism and that while you understand that they have to keep some things private for security reasons that it would be helpful to know how long it would take them to properly classify you for housing and what assistance/services you may be able to take advantage of while incarcerated to help with your condition and to get through your time successfully. You may want to mention the difficulty you had in solitary confinement the last time and how that impacts you with your condition. Again....jail is not meant to be comfortable, but given your situation, they may be able to make some accomodations to keep it from being an unnecessary level of torture.

When do you expect to get sentenced/remanded?

-E

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson