Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Having opposite gender co's strip search inmates is degrading. I personally believe that CO's in prisons should all be same gender.

There's always the comparison made to medical staff in these discussions.

CO's are not medical staff.

Medical professionals are trained to heal the body and to value the person. CO training is nothing like that and there is a culture in many prisons that is, well, I guess I'll just say the culture is about the exact opposite of valuing the inmate as a human being.

It's an issue of power and control, humiliation and degradation.

I've never really thought about the issue of gay CO's. But thinking about it now, I think an openly gay CO strip searching inmates is just as degrading as opposite-gender strip searches.

I also heard of a case recently where female inmates in a federal prison commplained about an openly lesbian CO who was abusive.

Now, we can't have the sex police go screening every employee for evidence of their sexuality. But I think at least, opposite gender CO's in prisons are a bad idea.

I've spoken to my LO about searches by female co's, in the federal system its usually only pat downs. The regs only allow opposite gender searches in "emergency" situations. He says he's had patdowns by female CO's and considers that no big deal.

All the same, I still have my opinion.

Maybe because I'm old enough to remember when there were no female CO's in men's state prisons, and then when it started they only had "desk duty" and such.

I think it should have remained that way. I don't have time to write about all the problems I've heard of that could have been avoided if there were strictly same-gender CO's in prison.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,476 Times in 751 Posts

its no different than you sprawled on a table with your legs open for a pap smear by a lesbian doctor that you didnt even know she preferred same sex.

They are just doing their job!

The Following User Says Thank You to HardHeadedWoman For This Useful Post:
Phoeneciana (10-09-2019)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Amen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Shame on you. That officer being gay has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to perform his job. Strip searching is a necessary and important part of his job and I'll bet you he finds it just as uncomfortable as your husband does. Find a real issue to be upset about.
That wife needs to get over herself. Most men who are homophobic or the ones that feel uncomfortable are always the ones that act out in their fears. They feel discomfort because they fear of being exposed so they reject and act crazy. And shame on that wife.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pickingbolts For This Useful Post:
Phoeneciana (10-09-2019), Revenwyn (05-23-2018), Scott (05-22-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britecloud View Post
so it's ok for the OP to make hurtful, homophobic comments but it's not OK for the rest of us to call her on it? first off her comments were not only out of line but border-lining against PTO policy and second nobody's calling the OP names they're just saying it's not cool to bash a CO for his sexual orientation.

like many others have said nobody likes the things our loved ones have to endure but the race, sex or sexuality of the CO doesn't make a bit of difference in how they do their job.
I totally agree with you and disagree. What was put in that thread wss borderline homophobic, it seems disrespectful to me. That's my opinion though, then again it seems there is some ignorance involved. The poster is entitled to his/her opinion, however it could have been worded differently. It just sounded insensitive and like it was said "borderline homophobic." Then again the stereotype that is placed upon the LGBT community is not a good one, and it was very evident here in this thread. Not all of us gays (I speak for myself) are out seeking the male genitalia. Trust me if I wanted to take a peek at some random guys crotch, it wouldn't be while I'm conducting a strip.search. It just sounds and looks perverse and very inappropriate. Many of us do have morals and decorum. I wonder if there is a gay couple out there thinking the exact same thing. "Oh My God babe! I feel so uncomfortable with that straight stripping me out!" Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to pickingbolts For This Useful Post:
Phoeneciana (10-09-2019)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM

When I was locked up for a couple months, there was a very feminine guard that always did the strip searches. He was professional but the inmates gave him a hard time. He was cool and treated me good. I was kinda turned on but being cuffed and shackled up and in the retraint chair in just my boxers was hot.
The Following User Says Thank You to benm887 For This Useful Post:
Phoeneciana (10-09-2019)