Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 10-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Any Psychics In The House? White Collar Crime Help

I'm sorry, I don't know if this fits in criminal legal help, introduction, or general - I just don't know where to turn and turning to people going through it, or with loved ones going through it seemed the best option to help talk me off this ledge.

I haven't been convicted/charged with a crime... yet. But I've been accused of some white collar stuff, I don't want to get into too many details on a public forum but it's some various fraud. Felony level stuff, money involved would be between 15-50k.
The person accusing me reached out on social media with a bunch of crude messages, that's the only reason I know it's coming. I have never been so scared and on-edge in my entire life. I'm paranoid with every knock on the door or passing of a cop. The accuser has called a few times to torment me with talks of an orange jumpsuit, and dropping the soap - it immediately gives me a panic attack. I'm afraid if he doesn't get what he wants it will escalate.

That aside, I know there's no exact science to this, but what does every one think my odds are at beating a jail/prison sentence? I'm absolutely okay with home confinement as an alternative. I know almost nothing about law which puts me in a worse position to plea for my life. This would be a first offense, I have a squeaky clean record in every regard.
Will I definitely be arrested at any given moment? Or is there any chance they will call me to come in for questioning/serve me court papers? I'd prefer the latter of course, the arrest terrifies me.
How does everyone deal with the stress, depression, anxiety? I can't cope. I won't say that I'm suicidal, but it did cross my mind for a moment, then I reasoned I should at least ride this out until sentencing. But from what little I've heard of white collar cases, these things can drag out for years, and I don't think I can deal with this level of stress for that long.

I've heard that in order to show a judge that you've changed and aren't a threat to society it's a good idea to volunteer your time, and seek therapy. But I'm not superhuman - I work 40-50hrs a week at one job, and roughly 15 at another. And since restitution is likely I absolutely need to keep working as long as I can in order to afford restitution, as of now I only have about 80% of it saved up. That's just the restitution part, I also need to save for an attorney and fees (I have an attorney but he wants a lot more money once charges are official, and even more if trial is needed - but honestly he hasn't been much help). Working helps keep my mind occupied, however this stress is bleeding into my work. When not working I find it hard to get out of bed, I'm neglecting a lot of things in my life.
Included in that neglect is my partner. He had no idea what happened, he's just recently found out, and he's sunk into depression with me. At first I brought it up a lot trying to prepare ourselves, but he immediately shuts down so I don't bring it up anymore. I feel like I've ruined both our lives and he doesn't deserve that.

That 80% savings includes my partners life savings. When all is said and done I'll have no money, I will likely be back in debt, and we just bought our first house last year but there's no way we'll be able to afford to keep it, especially if I lose my jobs. When I'm arrested, or going through the hearings will my employers be notified?
I'm hoping for a best case scenario - I get the money for full restitution, get community control, and keep my job, is that even possible?

Anyone know if this is likely to end up in state, or federal? Do I have better odds with one over the other? I don't know how to prepare either way. I'm told federal is most likely.
How does everyone deal with the shame of their family, friends, loved ones, co-workers finding out? I can't bear the thought.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I just feel like my life is over and I don't know what to do.

Last edited by idontwannago; 10-19-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Any psychics.....

[quote=idontwannago;7798489]I'm sorry, I
I haven't been convicted/charged with a crime... yet. But I've been accused of some white collar stuff.

I dont mean to sound like an asshole...but its a little late for all these questions you have
You should of thought of the consequences before committing the crime. Suck it up and be accountable for yourself. Maybe you will learn something.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,851 Times in 13,143 Posts

The beginning, when you don't know what will happen, or when, is the hardest time. Trying to guess what that is will only increase your frustration. What you can do is talk to a criminal defense lawyer to better understand what is ahead, and how you can best prepare, including how your partner can protect their assets if you are charged..
Old 10-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Donation Award 

I feel your pain. I am at the very end of a somewhat similar situation that has been going on for four years. Sentencing is this week actually and it’s very very stressful. You have a LONG WAY to go but I would guess that when the detectives (Idk if it’s an active investigation) are close to the end they’d pic you up for questioning they want you to spill it and slam dunk the case of course. Do not go in for that interview. Don’t say shit. Nothing. Do t talk to people about the case. Even friends. People turn on people. Right now though, don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. Just live your life and keep going, or you’re gonna have anxiety looking over your shoulder constantly. I knew a whole year before the charges actually took place. What’s gonna be is gonna be. Life is short-LIVE IT.
As for consequences could end up being a number of things. Your background, ability to pay restitution and what the actual charge comes down to be are all factors and you would go thru a PSI (pre sentencing investigation) to determine appropriate sentencing. Again this is literally years away. I’d get saving on some money now though, you’re not gonna want a public defender for this and when you do arrive at the end (if anything happens), you’ll want to be able to use restitution as a negotiating tool for plea. Good luck!!!

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-20-2019), patchouli (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,498 Times in 15,711 Posts

for now, I'd keep doing the things you are doing. Work and try not to freak yourself out too much.
If you are questioned, invoke your right to an attny. Do not lie to the police, just dont talk to them. Request your attny.

Block the person whos been calling you or dont pick up.
Depending on how this plays out try not to be too concerned about all the what if's.
Consider your options in regards to the house when it becomes more clear about what will happen.

Most people on this site have a loved one in prison, a friend or were incarcerated themselves. NO one is perfect and if hindsight was 20/20 none of us would be here on this site. You cant undo whats been done, you can only try to deal with the fallout in the best way you can.
So saying you should have thought of your actions prior to committing them while true, is not very helpful so lets not go there, folks.

And by all means if you feel suicidal Contact the hotline
SUICIDE UNITED STATES
National Suicide & Crisis Hotlines
1-800-SUICIDE
Text 741741
784-2433

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-20-2019), GaReform (10-20-2019), idontwannago (10-20-2019), jessesgirl1111 (10-20-2019), patchouli (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Get yourself a very good white collar lawyer- ALL COMMUNICATIONS through the lawyer only
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbtomlin For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 AM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontwannago View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know if this fits in criminal legal help, introduction, or general - I just don't know where to turn and turning to people going through it, or with loved ones going through it seemed the best option to help talk me off this ledge.

I haven't been convicted/charged with a crime... yet. But I've been accused of some white collar stuff, I don't want to get into too many details on a public forum but it's some various fraud. Felony level stuff, money involved would be between 15-50k.
The person accusing me reached out on social media with a bunch of crude messages, that's the only reason I know it's coming. I have never been so scared and on-edge in my entire life. I'm paranoid with every knock on the door or passing of a cop. The accuser has called a few times to torment me with talks of an orange jumpsuit, and dropping the soap - it immediately gives me a panic attack. I'm afraid if he doesn't get what he wants it will escalate.

That aside, I know there's no exact science to this, but what does every one think my odds are at beating a jail/prison sentence? I'm absolutely okay with home confinement as an alternative. I know almost nothing about law which puts me in a worse position to plea for my life. This would be a first offense, I have a squeaky clean record in every regard.
Will I definitely be arrested at any given moment? Or is there any chance they will call me to come in for questioning/serve me court papers? I'd prefer the latter of course, the arrest terrifies me.
How does everyone deal with the stress, depression, anxiety? I can't cope. I won't say that I'm suicidal, but it did cross my mind for a moment, then I reasoned I should at least ride this out until sentencing. But from what little I've heard of white collar cases, these things can drag out for years, and I don't think I can deal with this level of stress for that long.

I've heard that in order to show a judge that you've changed and aren't a threat to society it's a good idea to volunteer your time, and seek therapy. But I'm not superhuman - I work 40-50hrs a week at one job, and roughly 15 at another. And since restitution is likely I absolutely need to keep working as long as I can in order to afford restitution, as of now I only have about 80% of it saved up. That's just the restitution part, I also need to save for an attorney and fees (I have an attorney but he wants a lot more money once charges are official, and even more if trial is needed - but honestly he hasn't been much help). Working helps keep my mind occupied, however this stress is bleeding into my work. When not working I find it hard to get out of bed, I'm neglecting a lot of things in my life.
Included in that neglect is my partner. He had no idea what happened, he's just recently found out, and he's sunk into depression with me. At first I brought it up a lot trying to prepare ourselves, but he immediately shuts down so I don't bring it up anymore. I feel like I've ruined both our lives and he doesn't deserve that.

That 80% savings includes my partners life savings. When all is said and done I'll have no money, I will likely be back in debt, and we just bought our first house last year but there's no way we'll be able to afford to keep it, especially if I lose my jobs. When I'm arrested, or going through the hearings will my employers be notified?
I'm hoping for a best case scenario - I get the money for full restitution, get community control, and keep my job, is that even possible?

Anyone know if this is likely to end up in state, or federal? Do I have better odds with one over the other? I don't know how to prepare either way. I'm told federal is most likely.
How does everyone deal with the shame of their family, friends, loved ones, co-workers finding out? I can't bear the thought.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I just feel like my life is over and I don't know what to do.
You are talking about 15-50 thousand, that’s not that much. Go talk to a lawyer now. The lawyer will tell you exactly what to do. A woman here in my town, ( State not Federal) local charges, $80,000 pled and got 30 days home confinement and probation.... Good luck.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller11 View Post

I dont mean to sound like an asshole...but its a little late for all these questions you have
You should of thought of the consequences before committing the crime. Suck it up and be accountable for yourself. Maybe you will learn something.
Thanks, very helpful. FWIW when the crime allegedly happened (3-4yrs ago), I was in bad/desperate situation where I honestly thought I had nothing to lose, and back then I really didn't. I never thought my life would turn around as it did; I have a car now, a house, a job that I enjoy, and the beginning of a family of my own. I have everything to lose and it's terrifying. While I understood jail could be a possibility I had no idea just how severe a crime it was. I was an idiot. I'm still an idiot. Rest assure I'm learning a lot now, or trying at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliezack View Post
You are talking about 15-50 thousand, that’s not that much. Go talk to a lawyer now. The lawyer will tell you exactly what to do. A woman here in my town, ( State not Federal) local charges, $80,000 pled and got 30 days home confinement and probation.... Good luck.
That makes me feel better about my odds in state court however there is an interstate element, I'm told this makes it much more likely to end up in federal. I asked my lawyer about whether or not aggravated would apply and he acted like it was a dumb question and he didn't know what I was talking about - which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in him. He said for it to be "aggravated" it would have to involve someone elderly, disabled, or in the service - it doesn't, but from what I've read online aggravated identity theft doesn't mean that at all.

Anyways, thanks all for the advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idontwannago For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (10-21-2019), sidewalker (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:08 PM
The perfect bad example

Check statutes of limitations laws on the particular alleged crimes. That could be a non factor now and that's why you are being taunted by this other person.

Does anyone spiral into control?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e-Tex For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-20-2019), idontwannago (10-20-2019), Lesliezack (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 PM

[quote=Desertdweller11;7798524]
Quote:
I'm sorry, I

I haven't been convicted/charged with a crime... yet. But I've been accused of some white collar stuff.

This is not helpful or appropriate. You seem to just want to be mean here. It's really not needed.

Last edited by Peacefinder; 10-20-2019 at 04:53 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
Ann Onimous (11-02-2019), GaReform (10-20-2019), idontwannago (10-20-2019), joybubby (11-03-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM

I would check statue of limitations and talk to a few lawyers and see what the actual chances are. Try to stay positive. I hope everything turns out ok for you

Last edited by Peacefinder; 10-20-2019 at 05:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 PM

This is not reality tv .i think some of this site like the drama GET A LAWYER DONT LITAGATE YOURCASE ON HERE
Old 10-20-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Tex View Post
Check statutes of limitations laws on the particular alleged crimes. That could be a non factor now and that's why you are being taunted by this other person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefinder View Post
I would check statue of limitations and talk to a few lawyers and see what the actual chances are. Try to stay positive. I hope everything turns out ok for you

Thank you. Unfortunately (for me) even if statute of limitations has expired there's a "discovery rule" which allows prosecution for 5 years after discovery. Discovery has only been about a month, but it wouldn't hurt to ask my attorney anyways.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:50 PM

Another thing to consider is that the US Attorney has filing guidelines. These are different for every district. I find it unlikely that $80K in an alleged embezzlement/white collar crime meets the threshold for federal involvement. It wouldn't in the jurisdiction I worked in in law enforcement, the feds would defer to the state for any prosecution.

"I'm afraid if he doesn't get what he wants it will escalate."

You also seem to indicate, correct me if I'm wrong, that the alleged victim is blackmailing you to repay the alleged amount of the alleged theft.

All that said, quit discussing the alleged facts of the case in a public forum. Anything you say can be twisted or taken out of context and used against you. Never speak to the police and quit taking calls from the alleged victim. My guess is that they are being recorded to use against you. Discuss all this with your attorney and follow their advice.

Good luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2019), GaReform (10-20-2019), sidewalker (10-21-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 PM

Thanked 1,977 Times in 778 Posts

I see that you appear to be new to posting here. Stating what seems obvious to you in the way you did wasn't helpful at all. If everyone who was facing charges or had been sentenced thought of the consequences before they acted, the jails & prisons would be virtually empty. Very few people that I've talked with ever had a mental conversation with themselves where they discussed beforehand the pros & cons of what they wound up doing.
The original poster was trying to get an understanding of what they're going to be facing & some practical suggestions from people who have already been down that road. Telling them basically "Sucks to be you!" is not what Prison Talk is about. People here are supportive & many have no trouble getting a person off the Pity Party train if it looks like that's where they're stuck. The difference is in how the message is presented.

Please try to be respectful. You never know when it might be you reaching out & I don't think you'd want a response like the one you gave.

[quote=Desertdweller11;7798524]
Quote:
I'm sorry, I

The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Peacefinder (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:38 AM

From my perspective, my son was not honest and forthright with federal officials and is going to pay a price with additional time for perjury. He thought he would be able to get away with doing that...huge mistake.

He sits in county jail now awaiting final disposition with the plea agreement but when / if the judge will sign off and endorse this is TBD and he’s been in over 3 months. Full restitution is being paid back (3.5-4 million dollars) which would lighten his sentence considerably if not for his evasive, untruthful testimony.

Tell the truth, be completely forthcoming and show a genuine level of remorse. Don’t think you can avoid tell them information or withhold anything because they will find out and your word and reputation will be further called into question
The Following User Says Thank You to chel62 For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-25-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,389 Times in 1,982 Posts

" I find it unlikely that $80K in an alleged embezzlement/white collar crime meets the threshold for federal involvement."

The $ amount is NOT the deciding factor when figuring out if the case was state or federal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-25-2019), sidewalker (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:

email address removed per PTO policy, fbopnomore whitecollaradvice.com helped me get thru all what you are experiencing now, without them, I wouldn't have gotten what I received. Good luck, I went thru all the feelings you described and for the first time in my life, I felt helpless but with their guidance, I got thru it.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-22-2019 at 05:31 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viettim For This Useful Post:
idontwannago (10-25-2019), joybubby (11-03-2019)