Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Video calls in Joyceville Assessment Unit

Hello everyone. i have been told that my fiance can do a video call from the JAU. The IT didn't fill his calling card properly this month and a few other inmates have experienced this for the month of july, as well ... ......Has anyone heard of this video calling?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.L.2017 View Post
Hello everyone. i have been told that my fiance can do a video call from the JAU. The IT didn't fill his calling card properly this month and a few other inmates have experienced this for the month of july, as well ... ......Has anyone heard of this video calling?
Yes Joyceville is doing video calls now. However they are in place of visits... not actual calls. They are an hour long and have to be booked through the V&C just like you would book an in person visit. I have already had one and they are great! Call and book if you already have your visitor application excepted.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeFaith For This Useful Post:
D.F.L.2017 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM

thank you... How is the video call done? via Skype?.... does my email have to be approved for this?... Do they have this at Colins Bay?... I am sorry for all the questions
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 PM

Itits my pleasure to answer any question I can, I know how it feels when you donít know whatís going on , and the delays.

So it is like Skype, but is actually better quality video and it is hosted by the government. When you book the video visit they ask you for your email address and then you receive instructions to follow for the visit. It really is very simple and all you need is a device that has internet and is compatible just like Skype.

Hi have heard that the other institutions will be getting video visits also, as too exactly when they will start i donít know.

*very Important to know is that if you do get a video visit and anyone appears on the video that is not an approved visitor you will lose your ability to visit via video and in person. So keep that in mind when you do get to do the video visit. It really is great though, and an hour long🤗

Hope this helps!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeFaith For This Useful Post:
D.F.L.2017 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Omg I should do spell check!

Ď It is my pleasure Ď is how it is suppose to read
I am sorry
Old 07-11-2018, 06:23 PM

THANK YOU, Very much for the info. I am unable to drive to visit often, so this will definately help!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 PM

It has helped us so very much as it is a minimum 8 hr turn around and have done the drive twice. One visit we got turned away due to locked down and not notified earlier enough. So we have had 2 visits so far via video and itís awesome, but for obvious reasons doesnít compare to in person visits, but so much better than provincial visits and just a regular phone call!!!! They are preparing to offer the video visits on weekends very soon. So much to look forward to! Oxo
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 AM

"Do they have this at Colins Bay?"

They have the screen set up in the V&C room at Collins Bay Minimum. As I understand it, it is not in use yet. I don't know about Medium there.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 PM

is there different rules about who can do a videoconference vs. visit. My friend wants to visit his Dad but he’s not allowed because he is on parole. I’m wondering if he could do a videoconference instead.