Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > DELAWARE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

DELAWARE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Delaware - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Visitation, Phones, mail, News & Information, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Introducing...

My name is Trina. My love one is serving time in SCI. We have been together for a year. He has been incarcerated for 4 years. It will be 5 in January. He is going forth to the parole board in January, and I pray to God everything goes his way so he can come home to his family. We hope to get married. We wanted to try to get married while he was incarcerated, but Delaware doesn't allow prison marriage ceramonies. That is terrible. Oh, well; I know God is going to work things out for the best. I trust in him, and thus far he has showed the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrayed_4_life
My name is Danielle and I am the Co-Forum Leader for this forum. I am 29 (again - ha! ha! ) and the mother of 10 year old twin girls. My loved one is currently serving LWOP in Michigan. We have been together for about a year but I have known and loved him for a lifetime in my heart. I am looking forward to scouring the internet and getting as much information to all of my adopted Delaware family as I can. Take care all - stay strong!

Ok - now it's your turn!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Bigtime here. Did 5+ years at SCI in Georgetown. Been off paper for a few years. Getting on with life. Georgetown has camp,low,medium, and high security area's. I was in low security. Food was ok if you like chicken. I hate chicken. I haven't eaten since I've been released. If anyone has any questions about SCI let me know.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Welcome bigtime, thanks for the intro, we are glad you have come to join us.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 AM

Samchaz here. First time offender facing charges of forgery 2nd and felony theft over $1000. I don't have a record and was wondering what kind of sentence I might be facing. My lawyer says as long as I make restitution and stay squeaky clean. I'll get away with probation. I hope he's right but I ain't as confident as he is, but then again he's not the one who will be going away.
On a personal note. I'm a 40 year old male, separated from the woman I love so much and the 3 year old daughter i love even morefor about 8 months; All because of drugs and gambling. I've been to rehab and am currently doing an outpatient program so I'm hoping that will help on ALL fronts. I lost my job because of the forgery and theft, after 11 years, and now am on the hunt for 2 jobs to replace that one and to start paying my restitution and lawyer fees. It is really hard being away from my home and have been staying at all kinds of different places since I lost my job in Oct. I am trying to get emergency housing assistance at a local motel in the Newark area because the other one Social Service has is on New Castle Ave, right in the heart of Drugville and nowhere near my counseling or within walking distance of any potential jobs. If I can get that, I feel like my life can start to turn in the right direction as I already have a job of sorts (legal and all)in the Newark area. I have no one to help me as most of my peeps have turned their back on me in a "tough love" kind of thing. (it's either long term treatment for me or no help from them at all) I need to get through this court thing next week before I decide to VOLUNTARILY go away for 4 months to Gateway and then I'll decide if the outpatient thing is good enough and keeping me right. My life is just so messed up right now and to make matters WAY WORSE, my mother passed away on thursday 12/29 and the viewing and funeral are tomorrow and weds. (this was another reason I didn't want to go long-term right now). I was doing really well over the summer, staying clean off opiates, but the gambling started back up and it got worse and eventually I went back to drugs in November. So that's where I'm at in a nut-shell (a really big shell like a coconut or something! LOL!) Gotta keep a sense of humour or I would freak out. Thanks for ANY HELP you guys can give ma and good luck with your loved ones who are incarcerated.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:22 PM

Samchez,

Welcome to PTO, it sounds as though you are really trying to put forth the effort to do right and I hope everything works out for you. I am sorry to hear about your mother, I have been there and is very hard to deal with. right now is your test of strength and what ever you do, keep moving forward and think out your options ( as it seems you have been) I wish you all the luck on finding yourself some work to pay off your restitution and a living space. never forget your real priorities and hopefully things will work out for the best...Good Luck!!!!!!

~~~Robin~~~
Old 01-03-2006, 04:48 PM

Hello Samchez & Welcome To PTO... I too am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, and the difficult time that you are facing. You certainly will find lots of support here on PTO... Sending best wishes your way, and I hope that this all works out for you... Take Care.

God's timimg does not always coinside with our immediate plans, sometimes his timimg requires that we wait and put our trust in him, because he will always have our best interest in mind
Old 01-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Thanks Snug and Robin, this kind of support means a WHOLE lot right now. I really found inspiration in your quote Snuggles because it seems so true and makes a person focus on the good and positive in situations that seem like they don't have either. I kind of compare God's timing to the outside influences that can affect your life. It is not our decision to have things work against us when they do but it is our decision to respond in the best way we can, even when it means sucking it up and being PATIENT, VERY PATIENT. My Mom's funeral was today and life already seems very different just knowing that she is physically gone. I have heard too many stories about people losing their control after a deep loss like this and I don't want that to happen to me. I've done enough damage and was lucky enough to have a mother who understood that people falter in life, but the real test is getting back on your feet. Thanks for the condolonces.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM

Your Very Welcome... I still have my mom, but several years ago, I lost who I considered to be, my second mom, and best friend to cancer. I never felt so empty inside, and I too felt that this pain in my heart would never go away, but in time, it has gotten better... I will always miss her, and have this void inside of my heart, but now I am at a point in my life where I am able to think about all of the good memories that we shared, and it warms my heart to be able to once again do that. In time you will also get to that same place with the loss of your mom.
Sending prayers & Best Wishes your way. Take care.

God's timimg does not always coinside with our immediate plans, sometimes his timimg requires that we wait and put our trust in him, because he will always have our best interest in mind
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Hi Samchaz, have you tried that place in Sussex county in Seaford? Not sure of the name of it.My husband is going to be senentenced on January 27, 2006 for theft, forgery, etc... Originally 33 counts, plead down to 10. there is about 400,000.00 in restitution. How can we pay that back? Does anyone know what they do? He has never been in trouble, never ever!! No drugs or nothing. Did it all just for us I guess. We are hoping for home confinement, but have no idea.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:53 AM
JenChris

Post hey

Well my fiance and I both live in de. He is in DCC until he gets transferred to the sussex boot camp. He has been there for over a month now. He got into a fight so now he is in the shu one phone call and one visit a month. But oh well. Once he goes to boot camp he has no phone calls and visitation for the first two months. I love him and we wanna get married. Our son is due May 9. Chris will still be in dcc or boot camp. We have no clue as to when he'll be transferred. I love him and I am gonna wait for him. Whether it's six months or three years. He is in for violating his probation. No job and no place to live. He got kicked out of the place I'm staying which really sucks. There was nothing I coud do. I tried everything. We couldn't get our own place with neither of us working. So things are really messed up. I'm hoping to get my own place before he gets out this way he'll have a place to live. My mom is helping in anyway she can. I have two kids from another engagement. This is Chris's first. I can't wait for him to come home!!!!

Jen
Old 03-24-2006, 05:05 AM

My name is MJ. My fiancee was arrested on 12/23/05 and is being held in Howard R. Young Correctional on $400,000 bail. As of now he has not even been arraigned yet. He is being charged with a long list of drug offenses after being set up by one of his "friends." All we can do is hope for the best, but my biggest fear is them sentencing him to some ridiculous period of time & ruining his whole life over this crap. He is only 20 years old & a non-violent, 1st time drug offender... but as you may know we have STRICT mandatory minimum sentencing laws in Delaware that could send him away for a very long time. How is he supposed to have any sort of productive life after this if he is incarcerated for so long?? Lord knows, I'm just praying we get a break& am praying every day for a miracle that will at least shorten his prospective sentence. I've also become involved in SURJ, which is the organization working to get House Bill 181 passed that would get rid of these excessive mandatory minimum drug sentences ((any help is appreciated!!))

That's my current situation with my future spouse. As for me, I am 22 and a college student with only 3 classes left til graduation and a fulltime job in Hospital Admissions. After getting my bachelors degree I plan to go to law school, and after just 3 months of my experience with the prison system I intend to become a lobbyist for prison reform in the future. I'm currently just trying to remain sane & learn as much as I can about the prison system & state laws & doing what I can for my boy.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,001 Times in 760 Posts

Hi MJ , welcome to PTO and the Delaware forum...glad to have you here!! Lisa
Old 03-31-2006, 01:14 AM
eyedoc

Default monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTJ
My name is MJ. My fiancee was arrested on 12/23/05 and is being held in Howard R. Young Correctional on $400,000 bail. As of now he has not even been arraigned yet. He is being charged with a long list of drug offenses after being set up by one of his "friends." All we can do is hope for the best, but my biggest fear is them sentencing him to some ridiculous period of time & ruining his whole life over this crap. He is only 20 years old & a non-violent, 1st time drug offender... but as you may know we have STRICT mandatory minimum sentencing laws in Delaware that could send him away for a very long time. How is he supposed to have any sort of productive life after this if he is incarcerated for so long?? Lord knows, I'm just praying we get a break& am praying every day for a miracle that will at least shorten his prospective sentence. I've also become involved in SURJ, which is the organization working to get House Bill 181 passed that would get rid of these excessive mandatory minimum drug sentences ((any help is appreciated!!))

That's my current situation with my future spouse. As for me, I am 22 and a college student with only 3 classes left til graduation and a fulltime job in Hospital Admissions. After getting my bachelors degree I plan to go to law school, and after just 3 months of my experience with the prison system I intend to become a lobbyist for prison reform in the future. I'm currently just trying to remain sane & learn as much as I can about the prison system & state laws & doing what I can for my boy.
Hi! Welcome to the SYSTEM. It is a monster. It has no feeling and it does not bestow mercy or understanding or fairness. To no one. Sorry. Society has given its permission to do with as the monster sees fit. And, no amount of begging or praying seems to help. I guess God has it worked out. I was an eye doctor and had never ever been in any trouble--until someone with a history of hurting children started hurting my little 5 year old son. And, since I could not seem to find anyone that would help me, I declared war on the person and the monster. I lost and got a 45 year sentence and did a third in order to discharge. I lost my freedom, my license and my life. I went from nearly 500,000 a year to $7.20 a month cleaning toilets and then to cutting timber on a gun gang. Upon release, not even walmart would hire me. Good luck and God be with you.
eyedoc
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Hi my name is Catherine, I will be a second moderator for this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself. I have a brother in federal prison and I live in WV. I hope to get to know everyone on this forum real soon and will try to help in any way I can.

CATHERINE
Old 06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

Hi there, I just realized I've never introduced myself here! My name is Lisa and I, along with Atalie, am the moderator for the Delaware forum.
My connection to the prison system is my husband, Dale. We have been together for 13 years and he has been in prison for 11 years. He will coming home to me in 2009.
Since we are not in Delaware, I don't know alot about the Delaware system but will do my best to help in any way I can. Thanks, Lisa
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Patiently Waiting

Default Scared

My baby got locked up in Feburary of this year with a gun posession charge. This is his first felony and his family got him a lawyer, but his lawyer said that this certain felony has a manditory time served. 3yrs. His lawyer is trying to get the sentencing lowered, but I don't think it's possible. Is it? 3 yrs doesn't seem long, but I have never been away from him that longand I'm not sure if I can do it by myself. I need some words of encouragement.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Hello There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTJ

Good morning there in Bear. I'm close by you in Newark.

My big interest for present is to end capital punishment in Delaware, but I'm also getting involved in a mentoring program at the women's prison... whenever the application is approved.

Anyhow, SURJ is a good group from what I hear. Some good people are involved there.

Did you get a chance to read the series of articles in the newspaper about the medical care (or lack of it!) in the DE prisons, and some of the letters to the editor in response? Seems there's a whole lot of work to do in little ol' Delaware.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum in that I'm at least partially retired and interested in getting more involved in things that concern me but that I never felt I had enough time for when my weekdays were "spoken for." It's so nice to see that young folks like yourself are looking for ways to give of yourselves, even if it's motivated by your gentleman friend's predicament. I truly hope it goes easy for him, and I totally encourage you to continue your studies and to be a lawyer one of these days. It's hard work, but we so need you in Delaware!

Best wishes to you, and to the other Delawareans here, I'm glad to find this forum and hope to get to know you all a bit better.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Get On with Getting On

Welcome to PTO Delaware is a slow board, but I hope everyone finds what they need. My friend is in Howard R. Young and awaiting transfer to State. If you need any help with the mail rules let me know. Since I've broken just about all of them at one time or another I'm now know them pretty well.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,591 Times in 2,182 Posts

Welcome too all who are apart of this forum and who are just checking it out.. If you have any questions be sure to ask!!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM

hi my name is kelly my boyfriend charlie is in smyrna, although i live in pa, anyone else with a loved one in smyrna
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the Delaware forum, Kelly!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Get On with Getting On

Hey there, I have a friend in Symrna as well

Last edited by RedHerring; 07-06-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,591 Times in 2,182 Posts

Welcome all i had a friend who was in symrna also
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Pray for Justice

Hi, my mane is Maria. My brother is 50 years old and never been in trouble with the law. He was just moved from Pa to Gandor Hill yesterday. I have not heard from him and I'm worried to death. From what I'm reading.......it is not the "Place to be". He was in Pa in Delaware county prison (George hill) I thought that place was bad.......but at least he would call me everyday.......I don't have a clue as to what to do next.....I am praying alot!!!
He was going through a rough divorce........(Long story) "Lost it" and is being charged with attemted murder...........she is alive and well.....

Last edited by Maria921; 09-05-2007 at 07:15 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Pray for Justice

I got a letter from my brother....the conditions at Gander hill are horrible. I think they took his glasses, are they not allowed to have eye glasses for "God" sake? There was no running water.....he was told to drink from the toilet............
Closed Thread