Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Unhappy Visitation Denial: Anyone appeal a visitation decision and been successful?

Hello All,

My fiance was sentenced to 3 years just over a month ago and I applied to visit him about 3 weeks ago. In the last letter he wrote me he said his deputy warden should approve me any day. I called visitation to see if I had been approved (and then hopefully schedule a visit for my daughter and I to go visit Daddy!) and they told me i had been DENIED because of an unfavorable background check. I was on unsupervised probation over 3 years ago for money laundering and with completion would be charged with a class 6 misdemeanor. The news was absolutely devastating. I have already made arrangements with my job to not work on Sundays becuase I was going to make the drive down to visit him with our little one every week. She is only 10 months old and I need her to see her Dad on a weekly basis so she doesn't forget who he is

Has anyone appealed a visitation decision and been successful? I am a college student and working mom with no criminal activity, just made a dumb mistake almost 4 years ago when I was 21. Any pointers on what to include in my appeal letter? Should I include my release from probation letter and info on it being classified as a misdemeanor (perhaps it doesn't reflect in the 'system' yet?). I've heard they don't approve many appeals so I am very discouraged.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2016, 12:26 PM

I'm so sorry good luck!
Old 08-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

Were you honest on your application about this? Have you checked to make sure it was lessened to a misdemeanor? I would make sure all ducks are in a row before I would even try to appeal. I will take a lookie loo and see if I can find information on how to file for an appeal.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
Were you honest on your application about this? Have you checked to make sure it was lessened to a misdemeanor? I would make sure all ducks are in a row before I would even try to appeal. I will take a lookie loo and see if I can find information on how to file for an appeal.

Thank you! The application did not ask if I had been convicted of a felony, only if I had ever been on probation. I did say i had been on probation and gave the correct dates. I think I will include my release from probation info from LaPaz county, they probably never updated it in the system... Sigh
Old 08-27-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

I would talk to probation to make sure it's updated in the system before appealing.