Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NORTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of North Dakota Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Prison Visitation, mail, etc.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts
Default OK to mail a 32-page printout?

There's a long document about how to get through a prison sentence that I want to send to someone just starting a sentence. He's from a middle class background and needs all the clues he can get.

Some places have restrictions like 10 pages. Some don't seem to care.

Will ND let me send 32 pages of Internet printout plus a letter in one envelope?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM

Shoulda done more homework before I asked:
Quote:
Pages considered as clippings, acceptable copies from the internet, photocopies or other material not considered social or personal writing are limited to four pages.
From the inmate handbook.

Though if they don't enforce that, it would be good to know.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,085 Posts

I would switch the internet pages to “reader view” and then copy/paste the text onlyinto a word doc and print that way. Front/back printing and you could probably squeeze it into 2 4-page envelopes.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,103 Posts

Not sure socio-economic back ground makes a difference when it comes to making it in prison, rather narrow minded view!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Not sure socio-economic back ground makes a difference when it comes to making it in prison, rather narrow minded view!!!
I think it makes a HUGE difference. Like it or not, people from lower income levels find themselves in prison more often and are also more likely to have friends or family members who have been in prison and can give them information.

If I hadnít reached out to a pen pal and then pursued a career (unrelated) in a prison, I would not have personally known anyone who has ever been to prison. It just doesnít happen in my circle. Thereís exceptions to every rule, but in middle and upper class tiers, prison is not seen as a normal, common thing.

It may not be PC... but itís true.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Well, I think that guy in particular needs all the clues anybody can spare for him, and I'll be glad to withdraw any suggestion that particular social classes are particularly ignorant.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Thanked 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

I agree with xolady. Prison sucks period no matter what your socio-economic background is and to assume that just because someone is from a low income background will have an easier time in prison is just so stereotypical! That's terrible. I don't care if you're white, black, or red. If you're rich, or poor, prison f'ing sucks and no one is prepared for it. White people, black people, rich people and poor people, low class, middle class, and wealthy, everyone knows people who have gone to prison. And if they tell you otherwise, they're lying! But that doesn't make it any easier just because they may know someone. People don't want to talk about it. Many people get out and want to forget about it.

It's really about doing your research before you go in and even then there will be some unexpected surprises that no matter how much you prepare in advance, you can never be fully prepared. But really it doesn't matter how much money you have before hand or not, you can never be fully prepared. And I am not so elitist that I would ever say something like "in my circles it just doesn't happen". Like I said, trust me, you know people! Everyone does. You just may not realize you know them!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 AM

I would like to talk about how to support and inform someone who is in prison for the first time and does not know what to expect.

May we do that?
AndyS (03-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 AM

Thanked 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

Is he/she already in prison? If so, then the best way to inform them is for them to learn in there. If they aren’t in there yet, then there’s a ton of info they can learn beforehand. Unfortunately, no one will every be fully prepared but you can be as well prepared as possible. My husband and I researched ad nauseam but he was damn well prepared!! Of course he still had some crazy stories by the time I saw him for my first visit. It really only took him about a week or two to figure out the whole system which is why I asked if the person is already there.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

no its a Fact.... Lower income equals been in prison more= when return which they will... they can handle better... not to mention usually their relatives have been in and can tell him about it
Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I would like to talk about how to support and inform someone who is in prison for the first time and does not know what to expect.

May we do that?
For what it's worth...my two cents.....Biggest survival skill: Be quick to listen and slow to speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018), miamac (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,222 Times in 6,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadeyes1 View Post
no its a Fact.... Lower income equals been in prison more= when return which they will... they can handle better... not to mention usually their relatives have been in and can tell him about it
I grew up dirt poor. Didn't know a single person who had been to prison until I was an adult. Never have had a relative in prison. Were my odds higher? Yep. But it's pretty assumptive to think that all who live in poverty allow criminality to dominate their life.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:36 PM

Thanked 2,756 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I agree with xolady. Prison sucks period no matter what your socio-economic background is and to assume that just because someone is from a low income background will have an easier time in prison is just so stereotypical! That's terrible. I don't care if you're white, black, or red. If you're rich, or poor, prison f'ing sucks and no one is prepared for it. White people, black people, rich people and poor people, low class, middle class, and wealthy, everyone knows people who have gone to prison. And if they tell you otherwise, they're lying! But that doesn't make it any easier just because they may know someone. People don't want to talk about it. Many people get out and want to forget about it.

It's really about doing your research before you go in and even then there will be some unexpected surprises that no matter how much you prepare in advance, you can never be fully prepared. But really it doesn't matter how much money you have before hand or not, you can never be fully prepared. And I am not so elitist that I would ever say something like "in my circles it just doesn't happen". Like I said, trust me, you know people! Everyone does. You just may not realize you know them!!
I think itís a bit ignorant to say everyone has the same experience adapting to prison. I agree there are things you canít prepare for, but as much as you want to deny it, there are some people that have it easier adjusting to prison whether itís due to their race, age, socioeconomic status or gender. Iím sorry if you see that as stereotyping but it is the reality. A middle class woman/man from the suburbs is going to have a harder time adjusting than say someone who grew up in a gang.

I think the OP was looking for some specific information about how someone whoís never been to prison can adapt more quickly.

If I hadnít written someone in prison I can tell you Iíve never known anyone in prison and the people that I associate with donít either.

ďAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your ownĒ
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,222 Times in 6,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I would switch the internet pages to “reader view” and then copy/paste the text onlyinto a word doc and print that way. Front/back printing and you could probably squeeze it into 2 4-page envelopes.
Or, if he has decent vision and the document is a PDF, you can set your options to "landscape", "two pages per sheet" and "double sided". You then get 4 pages of document on one piece of paper. It's not fun to read the smaller print, but I've done it when the document was especially large and I needed to spare printing and mailing costs.

Last edited by miamac; 03-13-2018 at 03:54 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
AndyS (03-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018)