Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 AM

Default Changing approved phone numbers

My penpal is in Lewis (Barchey) and currently calls me on my land line number however this is an international call (Australia) so i have set up a local number to make calls alot cheaper and now i have to change my approved number. He told me i have to write a letter to the prison to request to change it? Has anyone done this??? If so what do say?? Do i need to provide a copy of my ID or anything?? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 05:22 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,514 Posts

He has to do it. He needs to send a request to visitation to change the number.
Amy_au (05-12-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 AM

Yes he said he will do it but i need to send a letter roo???
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 AM

I never sent a letter when we would change mine, and we did that every time he was moved.
Amy_au (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,742 Posts

He needs to put in a change form. They may call the number and verify that it's you. You don't need to send a number. Be aware that Lewis takes their sweet time doing everything.
Amy_au (05-13-2017), IzzyLouWho (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 02:15 PM

Hubby says he has to fill out an Add/Delete form.
Amy_au (05-13-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Actually I just called the visitation officer yesterday on this very thing to ask how long it would take to change my number once my guy submitted the form and the officer told me that as of the the beginning of this year a policy change was done in which inmates no longer submit the request for phone number changes we have to submit the requests ourselves he said and the only way we can do that is by mailing in a letter to the specific prison visitation area stating that you are on the phone list for so and so and list the inmates name and id number and that you are requesting your phone number to be changed and provide them w the new number. He said that if you get it notarized they will change it w in 24 hrs and not call you to verify bc it's notarized but if it's not notarized it will take longer to change and they will have to call you to verify the change so you will have to be able to answer the call on the new number so I'd suggest getting it notarized. Hope that helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Amy_au (05-13-2017), IzzyLouWho (05-12-2017), lizlizzie2 (06-09-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

This is going to vary widely then because I've changed my number since the beginning of the year and it was done by the inmate. Guess it's just another one of the "check with the unit" things since there's absolutely no uniformity
Amy_au (05-13-2017), IzzyLouWho (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
Actually I just called the visitation officer yesterday on this very thing to ask how long it would take to change my number once my guy submitted the form and the officer told me that as of the the beginning of this year a policy change was done in which inmates no longer submit the request for phone number changes we have to submit the requests ourselves he said and the only way we can do that is by mailing in a letter to the specific prison visitation area stating that you are on the phone list for so and so and list the inmates name and id number and that you are requesting your phone number to be changed and provide them w the new number. He said that if you get it notarized they will change it w in 24 hrs and not call you to verify bc it's notarized but if it's not notarized it will take longer to change and they will have to call you to verify the change so you will have to be able to answer the call on the new number so I'd suggest getting it notarized. Hope that helps.
This sounds alot like what he was going on about. Getting it signed by a notary in adelaide is going to be painful because there is only 6, none of which are anywhere near me, and they charge in excess of $100 to do it. Is a notary free in the US???
Old 05-13-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
Thank you for this information. Hubby just got out and wasn't aware of this change...
Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Sometimes they can be free like if you work w one but we have them all over the place and they charge usually a dollar or 2 to do it bc we need notaries for different things - banks have them credit unions check cashing places all types of places I just happened to have one at my work so it was easy but if it's hard for you you don't have to get it notarized you just have to be able to answer their call on that line to verify its you that's all
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Amy_au (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM

So just send the letter requesting the change w out it notarized and be by that phone until it rings thatsball
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Amy_au (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:20 PM

It sounds like your notarys in the US are the same as our JPs here, available readily for minimal or no fee. Unfortunately our JPs are not internationally recognized even though they work in the legal system here. Notarys here that can be recognized overseas charge a fortune and only work by appointment and i work so wont happen straight away. I might just get the letter signed by a JP here and hope that might help a bit but if not then oh well.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM

Hi Amy,
Do you mind if I ask how you set your local number up? I'm writing to an inmate in Arizona too and I'm from Melbourne.
Thanks,
Michelle
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Sure thing. Find out from your penpal what area prefix they are and then i signed up with a company called 'local phone' and purchased an incoming number from them that goes directly to my mobile. Now im just waiting for the DOC to change my number. Phone calls are great ☺☺☺
Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_au View Post
Sure thing. Find out from your penpal what area prefix they are and then i signed up with a company called 'local phone' and purchased an incoming number from them that goes directly to my mobile. Now im just waiting for the DOC to change my number. Phone calls are great ☺☺☺
Thank you so much for your reply. My penpal has mentioned calling but i wasn't sure how to go about it as i didnt want him to spend so much money. I will look into this right away. Again, i really appreciate your help.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby67 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. My penpal has mentioned calling but i wasn't sure how to go about it as i didnt want him to spend so much money. I will look into this right away. Again, i really appreciate your help.
No worries, its super exciting
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Update...I just changed my number. The inmate told visitation that I had changed the number, they called me to confirm and that was that. I did have to provide my address and drivers license number.
BBQueen (08-15-2018), Sarianna (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,202 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Update...I just changed my number. The inmate told visitation that I had changed the number, they called me to confirm and that was that. I did have to provide my address and drivers license number.
DO 915 allows for the Warden of a facility to make up the rules to enforce this, but DO 911 --- 1.7.2 Changes to an approved visitor’s address, telephone number, and/or name must be submitted in writing or electronically by the visitor.

Typical DOC rules. Unclear and in the end it's call the facility and see how they have decided to do things.