Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

View Poll Results: How long have you or had you used meth?
0-3months 84 7.93%
6mo-1year 75 7.08%
1year and then some 299 28.23%
why would I do that(never) 601 56.75%
Voters: 1059. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 PM

I'm a recovering meth addict,ive been using since I was 10yrs old and now i'm 36, been clean and sober , doing a program since 11-05-02 , and it's been a long road ,i've smoked it ,snort it ,shot it ,any way i could .I've been addicted to lots of other drugs , but meth was my fav,anyways just to let you know it gets better,it takes time but you can do it .My life is so much better now ,don't get me wrong i still think about it , but i put God first and it works, plus i'm really involved with AA ,that helps alot .If you need someone to talk to PM me and maybe i can help.Just stay strong it's going to be o.k {{{{HUGS}}}}
Old 04-24-2005, 07:11 PM

I just wanted to say something else about AA/NA being a cult, HAHA thats funny cuz thats what my ex used to tell me when i was going to meetings and in rehab back in '98 ,then when i got out of rehab after spending 6months in there i stopped going to meetings didnt get a sponsor when i moved out of town so needless to say i left the ex {GOOD THING }got my own apt. and started getting loaded again,he thought they were brainwashing me, cuz he was and he didnt want anyone taking that away from him,even my family.Now i will say i also stopped going to meeting then cuz i didnt like all the drama and politics going on in the meetings ,so that was my excuse not to go back cuz i really wasnt done getting high,it had to take like 3 more yrs out there ,and winding up in a mental insitution trying to kill myself,to come to my senses that this isn't for me anymore and i need to grow up,and i've got a beautiful 15 yr daughter that would be so lost without me ,so i went to a few meetings and found the ones were i can be me and be accepted for who i am, and i did more than 90 meetings in 90 days i practally lived in those meetings.I don't give a s**t what people think of me ,i love me today ,what you see is what you get,and i am loved today.My family couldnt even stand to be around me ,my parents would change the locks on their house like once a week,now i have a key and i'm trusted ,and i owe it all to the program of AA , and the willingness to stay sober today .May hat goes off to the ones who have done it on their own, but i couldnt ,and i can't ,I've tried .AA is not a cult ,all you do is just sit and listen to others just like you, who have a problem with drugs and alcohol no one forces you to be there besides the big bad judge But it does work if you want it to ,the 12 steps have changed my life completly . i was a lost cause and i tried everything and i found this is for me .Con grads to all the soberity on this post ,love to all of you and keep up the good work,May God be with with you all
hakimshoney1st (03-28-2012)
Old 04-25-2005, 12:28 AM

Chipsgirl thanks so much for sharing a little about yourself!! Congrats on your recovery that is awesome and the way you honestly spoke of AA or lack of AA/NA is something I appreciate. I too was not someone who could stay clean and sober alone without some kind of ongoing treatment. I am a member of AA and I also can't continue my recovery without it. I need ongoing help on a daily basis to keep me from relapsing even if at first it's in the mind. This weekend I was around people who drank and I felt safe. I don't hang around it much but when I am I make sure that I am spiritually equipped to handle it and when I start to feel wierd, I give myself an out. When it's offered to me its an automatic no thank you and for years it was not the case.
Keep up with the good work sweetie, you are truely an inspiration to me and many others.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Thanks Chipsgirl for your story it is similar to mine only I ended up in jail for 6 months and had to lose everything including my dignity and self-respect before I got it. I am coming up on 11 months clean and I have to tell you I love my life today!! I do I am so grateful for the rooms of NA and AA like chipsgirl I tried doing it on my own terms and could not get clean for more than a couple of weeks tops. I need to be around people like me people who can understand what it is like to live to get high!! That is what my life was like I was no longer in control of my life Meth had complete control of my mind and body!!

Today I love myself and I know I am better than that. I have the love of my family back they too did not want anything to do with me 11 months ago wanted me out of their life for good and to be honest I could not blame them. I was not too be trusted my BF could not even trust me I would steal from him if I was given a chance!!

I miss my baby today he is in prison for another couple of years but the cool thing is is we have a relationship today better than I could have ever dreamed he tells me today he is proud of me on a regular basis!!

Just to give you an idea of how different my life is today I was not employable when I was high, today I have a full time job doing my dream job which is Web design, I am enrolled back in college to finish my degree and not only am I in a sober living house but I manage it!! My life is so full and rewarding today. I am a productive member of society today I pay my bills, obey all laws and live my life clean and sober.

Just wanted to let all you girls know that if this dope fiend can do it you all can too!! And to say I am so proud of all you guys who are doing it who are staying sober one day at a time it is hard that is no lie but know that if you need to talk or just need someone to listen to I would be more than happy to listen!! I love all you guys thanks to you all for sharing your stories

Pita McNasty
The Following User Says Thank You to PitaMcnasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM

Hi girls i'm so proud of you pita and sunnie ,women like you show the ones that are hurting and having a hard time, that there is hope for all of us .It's well worth the out come , i too am a manager of a sober living,and own my own home ,have a great job that by the grace of God i did not lose due to this disease ,i got to buy a new {well new to me} car '97,i found a wonderful man that loves me for me, but most of all i have my sanity , which i dont remember ever having,all this is due to AA and God. I too spent ALOT of time locked up and i'll take my freedom ANYDAY.God Bless all of you ,and i will Pray for you ,stay strong girls and guys .Love to you all , Shannon ~aka~ Chips girl~he's locked up due to this disease~ I miss my baby {{{{HUGS}}}}}
Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 PM
She Came Home 11/6/08
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 916 Posts

Many congratulations to both of you. Peace and love.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM
In love

Congrads For Staying Clean.

I Just Have One Thing To Say. Take It One Day At A Time.

2007 CLUB MEMBER #18
Old 05-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Account Closed

I work at a teen homeless shelter. Yesterday a girl came in who was 6 mos. pregnant, has never seen a doctor, her teeth were rotted out after 5 yrs. of using meth. She's only been clean for 3 days. I am wondering if anyone knows about toxic effects to her fetus or a good website.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:06 AM
She Came Home 11/6/08
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 916 Posts

www.kci.org is a good site.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Donation Award 

I have never used meth, but I saw what it did to my brother. It turned him into someone I didn't know and frankly didn't want to know. He's struggled with it for over 10 years now, in and out of treatment over and over again and I'll stand behind him every time he needs me.
I aplaud all of you who are going threw this and your daily victories. My brother has been "clean and sober" now for over a year and his life has turned around. He's got a good job, a great lady in his life, and he's back to being the guy I "used to know".
It's all worth it.
Good luck to you all, and God Bless.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM

Congrats girl....My friend is in prison for his second time because of meth...I am very close to him and have been there for him since he went in...he has gotten a lot stronger and healthier. Of course it was hard for him and still is...it helps to talk...you should go to rehab or to a drug counselor....there are also a lot of helpful websites out there...chat rooms for recovering addicts...they might help you also....as for the mind...I see some change with him...he is forgetful about things he's known for years but is still the same ole person he was....good luck to you...I will shoot some prayers your way
Old 05-21-2005, 02:44 AM

Congratulations to all who are recovering addicts. I have been clean going on 6 weeks after one relapse. Meth was my drug of choice because of the power. When I was doing it I felt like I could conquer the world. When I was buying the makings I felt like I was smarter than the cops. When I was helping cook I felt like no one could stop me. When I was selling I had the power to control other's habits.

I've done meth pretty much every way possible besides shooting up. That's where I drew the line. Pretty crazy after everything else I was doing, huh? I was a lucky one, I never got busted. At times, I almost wished I had, maybe it would have put some sense in my head. Meth really screws your life up.

My short term memory is pretty much nonexistent, my lungs are cashed, my skin is still red and blotchy and scarred in some spots from picking, my only "friends" I have left are my dope friends and dealers. What I mean is I really have no friends left 'cuz my "friends" don't come around when there's no dope.

I am happy with my choice to quit even though I know the road is eternally long. To all you other "quitters" I'm here with you and I know what you're going through. God bless the broken road.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:09 AM

Congratulations on 6 weeks that is Awesome! Keep up the good work.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I'mhis1&only;he'smy1&only

congrats all, have used some and seen nfirst hand effects, i knew from the start this stuff is bad, its sweeping the nation, ive done, weed, coke, and crack, but meth has got to be the worse, i watched my friends change too, and i just dont like it, besides ppl its made with poisonious substances from wal-mart, sorry i think id rather be hooked on heroin, oh well,
i've been clean from all drugs for four years as of 4/20 this year, and havent had a cig since about 6pm yesterday, man i want one, and only drink 1 to 3 drinks at a time, i just hope my sweety can get out and stay clean, luckly weed and cigs and alcohol are his only downfalls. any advice on ex-cons staying clean?
TTFN

Married October 21, 2006!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:54 PM
skatergirl

Hi to all of you! I came over that thread some weeks ago and it made me think...I only used these plant stuff , nothing else so far, so I even didn`t know what "Meth" is? I spoke about it with my best friend (through our letters). He knew even who invented that drug! A german man, some time in 1930 or so. Strange. Well, my friend used meth, but only a few times I guess. Anyway. He is a poet and so this inspired him to another great strange poem. If you`re interested, I posted it today in the poem forum. Title Weird One. Enjoy Ute
Old 05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
lastround

I've been clean almost 2yrs now again... It's hard but you have to learn to hate it. You can't be around it or people who do it. Drop your old friends, family, husband, boyfriend, who ever is doing it. That is if you want life. Crank is death. You become the living dead. The nightmares get better after about 6 months. It takes your body at least 2 years to begin to work right again. Your mind starts to clear in about a year and a half. Then you start to pick up the pieces.....if theres anything left to pick up.......and your not in prison. Rehab is good. When I went they didn't know what the effects of crank were but gave you a look at what the effects of cocaine had on the body and mind. Don't dwell on how the drug made you feel, it will bring on cravings. Good luck, and pray..........a lot.......
Old 05-23-2005, 10:38 PM

I have never used meth, But I do know first hand the damage "METH" can do to a family. My brother has used cristal for many years. He has verbally and physically abused my mother, father, sister and myself. He is not the same person he was before he started using. I used to idolize him. He was a professional Dirt Bike Rider and BMX'r. He made many covers of magazines and had countless sponsors. But it all went down the drain when he began using. I miss the person he was. He is now serving the last 2 months of his four year sentence, he is a 2nd striker. Im afraid of what will happen when he gets out. Will he hurt us? Will he hurt himself? Meth is an awful and destuctive drug. I want to congratulate all of you who are clean and sober! I encourage you to keep up the good work!

CMC MEMBER # 2
Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Rational Recovery

I am a recovered drug addict. I was damn near every day from the time I was 17 until I was 28. Heroin and X are the only two drugs I can think of that I haven't done. Everything else was used frequently and usually simultaneously, swallow, snort, smoke, or shoot it, it didn't matter. I stole from my family and friends, committed crimes to get it, ended up homeless living in abandoned buildings and eating my dinner out of dumpsters (if you time it right you can get the burgers they throw out before the dump the bleach mop water on it). I've been at rock bottom but never ever again. I now work for a major telecom company making good money and completing my degree.

For those of you who are reading this that want to quit or have already quit and need help or for those of you are desparately searching for a way to help your addicted love one's I would like to give you some information about a web site and a book that changed my life. The web site www.rational.org and the book is named "Rational Recovery:A New Cure for Substance Addiction".

The book is written by Jack Trimpey who is a recovered alcoholic. If you take the time to read the information I promise you a light is going to come on for you. If you are an addict you know that your addiction is a beast. Rational Recovery will teach you how to kill the beast.

AA, NA, etc teaches that addiction is a disease over which you have no control. That's a load of crap. It's a choice you make and you do have control. I'm living proof of it every day.

If anyone would like more information please feel free to IM me. The best advice I can give any of you is that if you or your loved one is REALLY ready then buy the book, print off the web pages and send them to your loved ones on the inside.

God Bless and Best Wishes,
Mrs C

Last edited by mrscarter; 05-29-2005 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: oops sorry got the web address wrong
Old 05-31-2005, 02:31 AM

I only iused meth for about one year. And what a year it was. I went from using every once in a while, to using daily, to selling, to making in such a short amount of time. But on Feb. 23, 2005 I had ONE year of being 100 percent meth free! It's hard some times. You just gotta take it one day at a time. It will get better. Maybe check and see if there are any NA (narcotics anonymous) meetings in your area. Or even get an NA book. Support from others can be very helpful. Good luck to you. You'll be in my prayers!

Last edited by zigan04; 05-31-2005 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove
I am a recovering meth user. I have been clean from meth for almost 3 months. The withdrawl symptoms are getting worse now then in the begining. My drug nightmares are worse. MY mental health has gotten 10 times worse than it used to be. There is no joy in this world anymore for me. Will I ever get that feeling back? I hope so. I had only been doing meth since March this year. If the after effects are so bad from just doing it that amount of time, what are the after effects after a year or more of using? These are all retorhical questions but everyones knows the answers. I was 3 months pregnant already by the time I became unselfish and realized my baby was more important then getting high. Meth is one of the worse drugs in this world. My opinion anyways. I watched my friends do it and the way they acted and treated me while I wasnt using and also realized What the hell was Wrong with me??? How could I let myself be invoved with such an addicting and deadly drug. I will tell you my experience wasnt the greatest, I watched my fiancee turn from a sweet angel to a psychotic demon just from being on it. Hearing voices that told him to do bad things, not thinking he was good enough for me. Suspicious and jealous all the time, accusing that went to far. No one is ever their self afterwards. I dont know if I will ever recover from the drug, but I do know I will NEVER touch it again and thats a promise.
Tana
Old 06-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Sweetheart, it will get better. I've never used, but, I have son in Montgomery County community corrections Rehab facility, now as we speak. And he's getting better every day. My boyfriend just this past friday was granted parole, after spending 18 mos in prison, after only 6 mos of using meth. It's not worth it all the way around. But, I promise, you will get better. ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM

I have never used meth, I work in a detox center and I can say that is some bad stuff!!! People come in there so geeked up its unreal---some are so fried that they will never be right again. Its the worst stuff I have seen in my three yrs of working in detox/mental health.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I miss him so much!!!

I used and, I am clean now for 2 1/2 years and I am so proud of you babylove, that is a huge step in the right direction.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM

I think its a mental thing, I remember when I was younger I went on a 6 month mission using heroin. I took every single penny I got to spend it on that drug. I woke up one morning with my body shaking, bones hurting, sweating, my body was asking for it. I tell you, I looked in the mirror and realized how skinny I was and how ugly I looked. I cried and made my mother take out a ticket for me to leave the state, I remember the last bag I sniffed, it was on the plane. Yea, I was crazy enough to sneak it on the plane, only because I was high. But that was the last bag I sniffed. I kicked it cold turkey. It was the worst. But I did it. I knew that was not me, and I knew I had the strength to stop. I had to get away from those surroundings. And I returned when I knew I was strong enough to say no. And I tell you, people pushed it in front of my face and I kept saying no..............I remember this one guy kept telling me, come on for old time sakes showing me the bag, I got so pissed off I smacked it off his hands, the poor guy was practically crying picking it up from the floor. I just walked away and told him not to ever speak to me again. that was 19 years ago, and I have never touched it again and won't ever, especially because I hate it. You have to learn to hate it, in order to leave it alone.