Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Violent Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Violent Offender Discuss the issues of having a violent offender as part of your life. Please keep in mind that some of us are married to violent offenders. Please remember that these offenders are human, and as such, can change... just like anyone else.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Violent offender and court officer, Will it effect my chances of employment

Hello all. I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not but here it goes....... My baby has been in jail since June 2014 for 2 counts of robbery in the 3rd. He is due to come home this June and I'm super excited. But yesterday I got news that I'm finally going to begin the process of becoming a court officer. I'm over the moon because I took the test 3yrs ago. The money, job security and benefits are amazing. I'm just worried about how this will effect us. Like how is that gonna look an ex con and a court officer. Will it effect my chances at the job? Will they even care?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Donation Award 

Congrats on the employment offer!

It depends on what duties you will have as a court officer...are you filing speeding tickets or acting as security at the courthouse?

If your new employment requires passing a background security check then more than likely you will be required to report any relationship with persons with felonies and possibly certain misdemeanors such as DV convictions.

I would recommend you discuss this with the HR person making the employment offer and follow their advise.

Take Care Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
Aladdinjazmin20 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM

At the moment I don't know but under the list of duties it states security at the courts, serving bench warrants etc. I'll definitely go through a background check and I also get a gun (I'm super excited about that lmao). On taking the job regardless I just wonder if I should tell them from jump or wait til they ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
Congrats on the employment offer!

It depends on what duties you will have as a court officer...are you filing speeding tickets or acting as security at the courthouse?

If your new employment requires passing a background security check then more than likely you will be required to report any relationship with persons with felonies and possibly certain misdemeanors such as DV convictions.

I would recommend you discuss this with the HR person making the employment offer and follow their advise.

Take Care Chris

Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,040 Times in 9,726 Posts

Your relationship might affect your chances to be hired. Are you married? If not, and since he is still locked up, it would take a very specific question for you to have to disclose it during the hiring process.

Background checks for armed LE officers are usually very thorough. If you are on his visitor's list (especially if he is locked up by the same court) it may come up anyway. If they decide to interview your friends, neighbors, etc., same thing.

Answer their questions honestly and completely.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Thanked 8,682 Times in 5,036 Posts

Many such positions REQUIRE disclosure of any relationships with persons who are or who were incarcerated, regardless of the offense of record.

It is often the failure to disclose that harms an applicant more than the relationship itself...

That being said...he will not be permitted to live in a residence where there is a weapon. It would be a violation of his conditions of release in addition to being a federal law violation.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 AM

If you are in NY, part of the interview process is asking these types of questions. Be honest. Most of us know someone incarcerated. It's about answering honestly. And yes they care very much which is why you need to be honest from the get-go. Because if at some point it comes out that you are involved with convicted felon, and you did not disclose, it will be swiftly the end of your career. Please be aware, not necessary to share this info with other trainees. You will understand. Good luck.