Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South Carolina prison system.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
AmyLynn

I seen a video that leaked out from someones cell phone in there. It was beyond horrible.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I just saw this story in my fb news feed as well.
Heartbreaking.
Im so sorry for everyone who's lost a loved one, and for everyone really.
How scary.
I wont repost the story I saw but it did have a blurb at the end that another inmate was killed in Feb. (maybe that had something to do with it?)
Yes, I believe I shared that incident when it happened but it's all unrelated, just occurring at the same location. Matter of fact, that's still under investigation by state law enforcement officials as with too many others to list.

If my count is correct, since 2016-17, roughly 20 men have lost their lives in SCDC. Some didn't make the news blurbs. Yet, they keep blaming cell phones and the need to install jammers.
gvalliant (04-17-2018), patchouli (04-17-2018), sidewalker (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,774 Times in 13,641 Posts

they keep saying that too here in CA. (about jammers, but I dont think the guards want that to happen.....)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
If my count is correct, since 2016-17, roughly 20 men have lost their lives in SCDC. Some didn't make the news blurbs. Yet, they keep blaming cell phones and the need to install jammers.
Those numbers should make any decent human being sick. No matter the reason for being incarcerated, no one deserves to live in fear of their life.

To state in a news conference it's about cell phones etc. That is speculation. That is irresponsible. It is not possible to know reasons yet. They have not had time to properly investigate. Police in the outside world would never make conclusive statements like that to the press days after a riot / mass murder. They just do not do that.

Prison officials quick to put all blame on inmates and circumvent further investigation that would put some blame on them. And maybe getting away with it. Hope some neutral outside group, and not the prison system, looks into this. Meaningful reform is needed. They have to keep inmates safe.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM
AmyLynn

Just a question. If they proceed with this jammers idea wouldn't it affect peoples signal that live close to the prisons?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Those numbers should make any decent human being sick. No matter the reason for being incarcerated, no one deserves to live in fear of their life.

To state in a news conference it's about cell phones etc. That is speculation. That is irresponsible. It is not possible to know reasons yet. They have not had time to properly investigate. Police in the outside world would never make conclusive statements like that to the press days after a riot / mass murder. They just do not do that.

Prison officials quick to put all blame on inmates and circumvent further investigation that would put some blame on them. And maybe getting away with it. Hope some neutral outside group, and not the prison system, looks into this. Meaningful reform is needed. They have to keep inmates safe.
Sadly those who vote our leadership in office are the main ones who don't see those incarcerated as humans and feel the current conditions they endure in survival mode each day is what they are deserving up because "they're in prison". We all know the Jane and Joe Public beliefs that the incarcerated are living it up with their tax dollars and no amount of visual proof will give them a change of heart.

After these deaths, many believe the same sentiment as our governor state and that's shameful. Mind you he received that position by default, he was not elected and lost at many attempts to be so in the past. IF he doesn't believe in reform, why should the people he represents do so? That's what we fight in this little state whose prison population in comparison to the state population is mind boggling!
Krissi11 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Carolina traveler

Default The latest press conference

http://www.wistv.com/story/37975994/...w-prisons-work
gvalliant (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Krissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe81 View Post
Just a question. If they proceed with this jammers idea wouldn't it affect peoples signal that live close to the prisons?

Iím not sure about the signal of those who live close to the prison but I do know one reason they will not install the hammers or any other cell signal blocker is because it would interfere with signal for the entire prison staff having signal also which in cases like this awful event that happened at Lee county this past weekend, there would be a delay in contacting the rapid response team/sending messages out in emergencies etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krissi11 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 04:30 AM
AmyLynn

I'm just saddened beyond means with the several videos that have leaked out from inside during the riot. By the time rapid response team got in there hours later inmates bled out.

Choc....I retract my statement about cell phones. SCDC has a bigger issue on their hands. I feel they failed these inmates.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Krissi

Default Re: choclgs....

Quote:
I want to stress to everyone that this had NOTHING to do with cell phones. That's the same smokescreen used to not address the actual problems within the prison system here.

This particular situation has nothing to do with contraband.

We are a small family of many in the world of incarceration. Yesterday was emotionally draining, and many of us relied upon each other via text messages and social media for comfort and support, especially those who have loved ones at Lee.

What was shared in the press conference was shameful yet not surprising.

What hurt the most is many found out the status of their loved ones via social media, not from anyone at the prison.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized they are calling this the worst riot in the past 25 years

As expected, many are on modified lockdown until this passes.

Thank each of your for your concerns and support, it's appreciated and shared.
Hey choclgs (and anyone else who might be able to provide some useful info )....as you mentioned, many were/still are on "modified lockdown" until this passes. Do you have any clue how long it's going to take to pass? My boyfriend is at R&E and, im sure youre familiar with the fact that while inmates are there they usually only get to make 2 phone calls a week at the most.....well, he calls tuesday mornings and thursday nights and due to being on lockdown tuesday i did not hear from him and i'm just wondering if there is a chance i will hear from him tomorrow evening.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissi11 View Post
Hey choclgs (and anyone else who might be able to provide some useful info )....as you mentioned, many were/still are on "modified lockdown" until this passes. Do you have any clue how long it's going to take to pass? My boyfriend is at R&E and, im sure youre familiar with the fact that while inmates are there they usually only get to make 2 phone calls a week at the most.....well, he calls tuesday mornings and thursday nights and due to being on lockdown tuesday i did not hear from him and i'm just wondering if there is a chance i will hear from him tomorrow evening.
More than likely he will not be able to make those calls until the lockdown is lifted. It's statewide.
Krissi11 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Krissi

Quote:
More than likely he will not be able to make those calls until the lockdown is lifted. It's statewide.

I havenít called today but I am guessing that you have knowledge that itís not been lifted yet right?
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissi11 View Post
I havenít called today but I am guessing that you have knowledge that itís not been lifted yet right?
These can last a week or more.
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Carolina traveler

Default Outside investigation

As of today, an outside investigation is being completed after the April 15 incident at Lee Correctional.
Krissi11 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
AmyLynn

It will prolly be awhile. This was a huge tragedy.
Krissi11 (Yesterday)