Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Sex Offender Placement in Oregon

I have a friend who will be entering the Oregon system as a first time offender and have a few questions.

Can anyone tell me in general where a first time sex offender might get placed in Oregon? Are they in Minimum or Medium security prisons? Do they get separted from the general population for security reasons? How best should they manage themselves to stay out of harms way to just get throught their sentence with problems?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to metzgerm For This Useful Post:
dop (08-27-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,256 Posts

I don't think there is a special place for sex offenders. Depending on his sentence and a bunch of other factors he could go anywhere. They are not separated from general population. It is up to him how his time goes. He will be asked to show his paperwork upon landing somewhere. Then the fun begins. From what I can gather it is not as horrible for someone with *bad* paperwork as you may think. Sometimes they are *asked* to make a small *donation* for their protection. It's not nice but it is what it is. Sometimes they end up in honor housing or PC. They hang together and have their own tables in the chow hall. It is not a glamorous existence but if he keeps to himself and makes himself aware of what to expect and where he can fit in he will be okay. Best of luck. There is lots of info on here and there are sex offender forums as well.
Scott (08-11-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgerm View Post
Can anyone tell me in general where a first time sex offender might get placed in Oregon? Are they in Minimum or Medium security prisons? Do they get separted from the general population for security reasons? How best should they manage themselves to stay out of harms way to just get throught their sentence with problems?
It depends on what their charges are. If it was a child its gonna be hard. If its a statutory/consentual rape it will be easier. It also depends on the persons' personality. If he doesn't stand up for himself, it will be really bad. If he's a people person, some people will look past it. Also they can choose not to show their paperwork as it is a sign of disrespect.

The best thing they can do is stay out of the way, keep to themselves, and do their own time. Stay out of the drama.

Where he goes depends on the length of the sentence and the security risk they present. They determine that while in intake. Someone else can speak on that better then me.

I do know that if they go into protective custody they will most likely be in Two Rivers but thats not guarenteed either. Good luck to you and your friend.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Who asks for these small donations for protection? Is there anyone for them to go to if they run into problems? What paperwork are you referring to and to whom do they show it too?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Who asks for these small donations for protection? Is there anyone for them to go to if they run into problems? What paperwork are you referring to and to whom do they show it too?

Thanks
Donations are to other inmates who live on the same tier or a roommate that doesn't want the stigma of living with a sex offender. Its called "paying rent". The logic is you pay rent to keep from being *evicted*. And it doesn't necessarily mean they are protected from anything.

They can go to the CO's (guards) for help but it really makes it worse. If it becomes an issue where they fear for their lives, they can go to protective custody (the hole) and sometimes they can get transferred to another prison. In my experience that depends on how much they get beat up.

Paperwork is the inmates court paperwork. It lists the charges.

The best thing your inmate can do is stay out of the way and do their own time.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:

Thanks
Let me use Snake River as an example...the day you arrived you are assigned to a unit - 40 cells on two tiers, two men to a cell. When you arrive, you unpack your stuff (won't be much as a new guy), make up your bunk and get ready to meet the fellas.

On your first visit to the day room, you will be asked to "show your paperwork". This means the court documentation outlining why you are here. Sometimes it's called the "Face Sheet" in DOC lingo. A new inmate gets one when he/she goes through intake, or you may have the original paperwork from the court when you were sentenced. I still have mine after all these years - and always thought of it as sort of a "passport" while in prison.

Each unit is organized by the groups ("gangs" or "cliques") and representatives of each group take turns checking out the new comers. Not unlike a car lot determining which salesman is "up". Certain tables and chairs are reserved for certain groups (this is all inmate organized, understand). You don't want to sit where you're not welcomed. Very bad... That whole scene is referred to by insiders as "prison politics..."

If your paperwork is good (i.e. not a sexual crime) you're good to go and you get classified as a "Good Dude". If it's not, the term used by the inmates is "Freaks". Along with the reception committee - your cellie, depending on his status, will have something to say about why you are there too...I've seen people with "bad charges" be told to move by the next count.

If you fall into the "bad paperwork" category - you will be asked to make a "donation", and that usually means on a monthly and regular basis. Someone in the unit will be responsible for collecting - you'll buy a bag of commissary items (they give you a list) and you hand it over when it comes. The common term for that is extortion. It is extremely widespread throughout the Oregon system - and frankly, the rule rather than the exception.

Everyone knows its going on - many officers look the other way as they don't think highly of sex-offenders, and the ones who do care - really can't do anything unless an individual is willing to name names, which puts that individual in a very precarious position.

Some things your friend should know...if he doesn't stand up for himself from the beginning he's going to have a very miserable time. If he pays "rent" (extortion) once, he will be paying for the remainder of the time he is in prison - and that's not a good reputation. Not showing your paperwork really isn't an option, since then everyone assumes you are a sex-offender..."good dudes" would always show their paperwork. And, there are usually staff who are more than willing to "look up" why someone is there so getting caught lying is worse than being honest up front.

Your friend may have to fight once, or twice - but then hassling him becomes more effort than it's worth and people will leave him alone - since there are always new people to "protect."

Previous posters are right - attitude and demeanor are everything. There are people who get away with no one knowing what their crime is (at least for a while - although sooner or later everyone finds out) but they tend to be "big" and "bad" looking. If you are really good at something, music or sports, people may overlook stuff too, although you'll never be part of the prison "in crowd".

The sex offenders tend to hang out with each other, and at the Chapel (which many refer to as the "sex offender gang") There was an attempt for the sex offenders to organize into their own STG (Security Threat Group or "gang") a few years ago at SRCI. It didn't end well and the leaders ended up being transferred to other States to serve the remainder of their time.

There are relatively rare cases of people who are such good "people persons" that they actually do fine. Being genuine, helpful, intelligent, etc., goes a long way, even with the "Good Dudes". I know a couple of guys like that - and I really admire their people skills.

Compliments also to zxkitaxz for his good insight into the situation.
ByHisGrace2 (03-17-2013), GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018), HisGrace (08-11-2010), mothersharon (08-28-2010), OregonReform (09-21-2010), PLC-Ben (03-18-2013)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,377 Times in 4,637 Posts

Remember that something like 40% of the Oregon DOC inmates are convicted of sex offenses. The only reason extortion is rampant in the Oregon prisons is because inmates let themselves be extorted and don't stand up against it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
mothersharon (08-28-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
Remember that something like 40% of the Oregon DOC inmates are convicted of sex offenses. The only reason extortion is rampant in the Oregon prisons is because inmates let themselves be extorted and don't stand up against it.
Yes - that's true...but 40% is still a minority and many of that 40% are "closeted" about their offenses (or at least think they are).
GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018), OregonReform (09-21-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 AM

So, what is on this face sheet? Is it only your actual convictions or does it include the original allegations/charges as well? How much info does DOC have regarding the court case and allegations made prior to a plea agreement? Does this information get factored into classification and visitation decisions? Just curious...Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORFaithful View Post
So, what is on this face sheet? Is it only your actual convictions or does it include the original allegations/charges as well? How much info does DOC have regarding the court case and allegations made prior to a plea agreement? Does this information get factored into classification and visitation decisions? Just curious...Thanks!
The face sheet contains only the actual charges for which one is serving time, set out in a "table" format - with charge, counts, docket numbers, sentence expiration and release date(s). Pretty much that's it. The DOC will have the complete report from the Pre-sentence investigation, which will include original charges/allegations, etc. Pretty much all the paperwork the DA has is forwarded on to the DOC.

Certainly it all gets factored into the classification decisions - and would only effect the visitation decisions insofar as potential visitors being minors, victims or alleged victims (of any age).
GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018)
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM

They are all right, I actually asked the intake officer at Coffee Creek for my paper work (people on the bus ride told me about it) and he was very cool about giving me something. I dont think my "face sheet" arrived until a couple days later. He is right about it being like a passport.

I landed at two rivers and showed it to my cell mate and that was the only person who asked for it there, he spread the word on the new guy. Two rivers is a small community though, it might not be that easy other places. As far as minumums go it is not as wide spread, people usually want to stay there. At Columbia river if you even ask for someones paper work they hit you with extortion and off you go to the hole.

At coffee creek they will classify him on his previous time served (if he has any) also time left in sentence (I believe 36 months is minimum now) if he has over 36 months including good time he has to go to a medium/maximum. The severity of his crime will determin a lot too. Could you tell us his charges?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks...that helps clarify a bit. He's Assault 3 and Criminal Mistreatment 1. Not sure on sentence length. Should know more after sentencing in a couple weeks. First time offender. No previous criminal history. Would it help to provide Coffee Creek with any additional supporting documentation regarding his character/demeanor, work/educational background, past supervision reports, etc. (they are all very positive/supportive) in regards to the classification process? Or would they even accept them? Trying to be proactive....Thanks again.

Last edited by ORFaithful; 08-16-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORFaithful View Post
Thanks...that helps clarify a bit. He's Assault 3 and Criminal Mistreatment 1. Not sure on sentence length. Should know more after sentencing in a couple weeks. First time offender. No previous criminal history. Would it help to provide Coffee Creek with any additional supporting documentation regarding his character/demeanor, work/educational background, past supervision reports, etc. (they are all very positive/supportive) in regards to the classification process? Or would they even accept them? Trying to be proactive....Thanks again.
No - pretty much everything they would get would have to come from the courts, or from the Pre-sentence investigator. If there was a PSI done, that would have been the time to get on record any recommendations, letters, etc., that you might want to have included. Positive stuff IS helpful for the PS Investigator. (Although it has to be REALISTIC positive stuff, and not from a relative...unless you are a Judge or Prosecuting Attorney...)
GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018)
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsw View Post
Positive stuff IS helpful for the PS Investigator. (Although it has to be REALISTIC positive stuff, and not from a relative...unless you are a Judge or Prosecuting Attorney...)
LOVE this part of the response! Too funny! Thanks for the advice...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Donation Award 

I know in Lane County it is very rare that a PSI is done. The inmate's attorney, however, can send information to the Intake Center - they say they welcome it.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 PM

im confused, assault 3 and criminal mis 1= abuse tawords a child, but not sexually. Am I missing something? If he has those two charges he can easily lie about the crime of conviction and 99% of the population wont know the difference
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Donation Award 

Most inmates will know that Criminal Mistreatment 1 means abuse of either a child or an elderly person.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
Most inmates will know that Criminal Mistreatment 1 means abuse of either a child or an elderly person.
Zelda50 is right, and neither would make you a popular person in prison.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 AM

At osp they usually ask for paper work before they enter the cell. If it's bad they are told to tell the co they refuse to cell up and are either sent to the hole or sent to go see the housing officer. However osp tries to cell up inmates that have sexual crimes with those with similar charges..
The Following User Says Thank You to dop For This Useful Post:
Zelda50 (08-27-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM

This has been so informative to me about how things work "inside ". I can understand why my daughter cried so much in the beginning, prison is a scary place to live...so sad.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM

I don't know if I'd say scary. I was at osp. I guess it's all on how you do your time and/or your crime. I was there on three property crimes that they stacked due to my ex's uncle working in the da office. I can only suggest do your own time, don't get in debt, don't rat, and show respect to all. Lots to do there softball season, basketball, soccer, car show, concerts, and toast masters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dop For This Useful Post:
Scott (08-29-2010), texasgal (08-29-2010)
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dop View Post
I don't know if I'd say scary. I was at osp. I guess it's all on how you do your time and/or your crime...Lots to do there softball season, basketball, soccer, car show, concerts, and toast masters.
DOP is exactly right - I don't ever remember feeling "scared" (outside of being in one very bad riot at Washington State Reformatory in 1981)...and I do, vividly remember thinking, "Jeesh...there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do..." because if you're motivated to keep yourself busy, you can certainly find (productive) stuff to do.

There's never any excuse for being bored...at least not if you're halfway bright and even a LITTLE motivated...
GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018), texasgal (08-29-2010)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 AM

So scott. You suggest that an offender not pay rent and get beat up a few times? Cause My brother in law has a friend that said just pay up and get through it. I thought you said they should stay invisible? Standing up for yourself is not invisible. Its sad to me that church would be equated with only sexual sins. Dont we all deserve to go to hell? Oh well it is what it is. So what do you think. How long have you been out by the way. How come everyone says oregon has special prisons for sex offenders. Your the first person who i heard different from.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,522 Posts

Oregon does not have special prisons for sex offenders, and I'm not sure why you hear that. The federal system does attempt to group sex offenders together (federal, not state) and *some* states do the same, or have special units they try to put sex offenders in for their own safety.

Paying rent is a very bad idea though. The amount they're asked to pay will increase until they can no longer afford to pay it and next thing you know they're getting beaten up anyway (at best, killed at worst). So either way there's likely to be a beating, it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend first.

If possible, yes, they should stay invisible. But ALL inmates get vetted by having people try to push their buttons no matter what their crime is. The other inmates are looking for who's a pushover and who's not. They want to find out who they can get things from and who is going to stand their ground. This vetting is regardless of what the convicted crime was, how long the sentence is, or even if they were transferred to a new place from a different prison - each prison has its own social groups and those groups will test the mettle of each person new to their institution.

Staying invisible means not causing trouble (which is not the same as not being in trouble), not telling people what their conviction was for, not breaking the rules, not snitching, not buddying up to the guards etc. Watch, listen, learn, be careful. Paying rent can land the inmate doing the paying in the hole too. It is against the rules.

My dad's general response to any request like that is "Go ask that guard over there, if s/he says it's okay, I'll do it." That actually is a way of standing up for yourself without causing problems. Nobody he ever said that to ever once asked a guard, and they didn't bother my dad again.

I hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
GrannaSAnne (04-03-2018), Scott (03-18-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Ok half of what i read on hear says you dont ask people what there crime is the other half say your crime papers are like a passport that you flash around. So you can avoid SO association. Which is it? I am so confused.