Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

dona...I hope that you've heard from your grandson by now. There was nothing going on there as a whole. I've heard from my husband on a steady basis. Other than the brief lockdowns for weather issues, everything is/has been normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to toddslady For This Useful Post:
donazerozero (01-07-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,350 Times in 703 Posts
Default gilmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddslady View Post
dona...I hope that you've heard from your grandson by now. There was nothing going on there as a whole. I've heard from my husband on a steady basis. Other than the brief lockdowns for weather issues, everything is/has been normal.
Thanks for the answer. Every thing is cool now and He was just busy and didnt email me. I gave hime a good chewing out. Hope u are well. stay in touch. dona
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Any one notice a problem at Gilmer in West virginia. Think they may be locked down. Any one gt calls or emails today? thank you
Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Default Gilmer girls

Do u have a friend or relative at Gilmer, introduce yourself and him. Lets keep each other informed of any trouble with email, phone or mail, etc. Tell a little about yourself or him or both. Like age, relationship, hometown, kids , release date .
MY name is Dona, I am left handed so I will go by lefty. My grandson Josh will be 23 soon. He is in bravo unit. We are from Michigan. His release date is 2020
Please don't think you have to be a girl to be included, or maybe you know Gilmer from the inside. Please include your self by all means. I just thought Gilmer Girls was easy to remember. Hopefully we can and will all learn from each other and find some comfort in knowing we are not alone. Lefty
Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donazerozero View Post
Do u have a friend or relative at Gilmer, introduce yourself and him. Lets keep each other informed of any trouble with email, phone or mail, etc. Tell a little about yourself or him or both. Like age, relationship, hometown, kids , release date .
MY name is Dona, I am left handed so I will go by lefty. My grandson Josh will be 23 soon. He is in bravo unit. We are from Michigan. His release date is 2020
Please don't think you have to be a girl to be included, or maybe you know Gilmer from the inside. Please include your self by all means. I just thought Gilmer Girls was easy to remember. Hopefully we can and will all learn from each other and find some comfort in knowing we are not alone. Lefty
Friday jan 22 there was another fight so they may be locked down again.
lefty
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM

please if u could tell me what airport is closest to Glimer
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelep View Post

Iam sorry I do not know what airport is closest. I do know there is a an airport in Westin. I do not know how big it is. Where are u coming from?
We drive to glenville from Michigan. Long trip. It is not far to Glenville from Weston but u will need a car. I will ask some of the girls I know who have been to Gilmer fci in west virginia dona

Last edited by donazerozero; 01-25-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM

yeager airport in charleston wv is about 1 hour and 45 mins away from gilmer
The Following User Says Thank You to jynx6258 For This Useful Post:
donazerozero (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelep View Post
hope that helps you. have a safe trip. check the weather and check they are not locked down before u leave .
Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks ladies
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Default gilmer

Any one gt emails from gilmer today or yesterday? . Have not heard from grandson since tuesday? I usually hear every day.
thank you, lefty
Old 02-27-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donazerozero View Post
Any one gt emails from gilmer today or yesterday? . Have not heard from grandson since tuesday? I usually hear every day.
thank you, lefty

I got e-mails both Thurs and Fri. Although I didn't get anything late yesterday which is odd. If I hear anything I will let you know. Hope you hear from him soon. Amy
The Following User Says Thank You to aj9429 For This Useful Post:
donazerozero (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

thank you
Old 03-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Hello-my friend is headed to Gilmer and I was wondering if you could shed some insight on the facility and the population. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini'sgyul View Post
Hello-my friend is headed to Gilmer and I was wondering if you could shed some insight on the facility and the population. Thanks.

Sure, what would you like to know? My fiance has been there for 18 months, and I have visited 3 times in the last 6 months. Just let me know what I can tell you.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 AM

Default FCI Gilmer

Has anyone visited a loved one at FCI Gilmer who's in the SHU? I was just wondering because I read a post that all Federal SHU Inmates will only get video visits (starting June 20th)?
I really hope this isnt true as I was planning to go and visit my husband at the end of June for the 1st time after a year of not being able to see him. And I would really love a contact visit.
So if anyone can give me any info that would be great.Thanks & God Bless
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camposncali View Post
Has anyone visited a loved one at FCI Gilmer who's in the SHU? I was just wondering because I read a post that all Federal SHU Inmates will only get video visits (starting June 20th)?
I really hope this isnt true as I was planning to go and visit my husband at the end of June for the 1st time after a year of not being able to see him. And I would really love a contact visit.
Iam going to ask my grson and see what info he can give me. take care
camposncali (06-24-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 AM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camposncali View Post
My grson thinks visiting hours are Thursday and they are handcuffed and they wear orange jumpsuits. maybe only short visits. Has not heard about no contact visits. There must be someone who has visited a friend who is in the shu. and can give u the new rules if there are any. good luck sorry I cant give u any more info. Maybe you can gt special permission because he hasn't had any visitors and you live so far. call or write and ask for permission. hope thing work out for a great visit. I know how important they are to him and you. God bless.
camposncali (06-28-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Donation Award 

Smile FCI Gilmer

Hi. I dont have a loved one in FCI Gilmer, but Im from Glenville. I just wanted to let anyone know if they had any questions about the area (where to stay, how to get here, etc.), Id be more than happy to try to help you out. Glenville is a really small area so very few people know much about it but Ive lived here by whole life so I will help however I can.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberraenmdyy For This Useful Post:
camposncali (07-09-2010), Heem's Wife (09-30-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM

hello, how are you? my fiance is at FCI Gilmer, which is 5 hours away from where I live. What hotel is the closest? Is there anything to do around there? I do not have a car so I will be catching a ride but want my friend to have something to do possibly. Good restaurants? Let me know, thanks so much.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Donation Award 

Well the closest hotel is the Best Western Glenville Inn. Its pretty much at the bottom of the hill going up to the prison. Rates there are $77.99 plus tax ($82.67 altogether) for a room with two queen beds or one king bed.They have smoking and non-smoking rooms. They offer discounts for AAA and AARP if you have that. I actually work there so I might be able to get you a better rate if you check in while Im working. The hotel has continental breakfast, a fitness center, a business center with computers for guests to use, and free wi-fi internet.
As far as something to do in Glenville, there really isnt anything. Cedar Creek State Park is about 10 minutes away (right outside of Glenville). They have a pool, mini golf, paddle boating, hiking, fishing.. that kind of stuff. There is an outlet mall about 25-30 minutes away in Flatwoods. They have Tommy Hilfiger, Rue 21, a shoe store, an Amish bulk food store, Bali store, and some other different stores. The closest movie theater and mall is about an hour from Glenville. The closest WalMart is about 30 minutes away. So as far as things to do in Glenville, it's limited. It's a really small town.
There is a restaurant right next to the hotel. She's only open a few hours a day and she has a limited menu. Theres also a lounge there. The restaurants in Glenville are McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, China One, DiCarlos (they're the only place that delivers.. it's pizza), Sub Express (it's like Subway, but they have fresh pizza all day.. it's in the GoMart).The nicer, sit-down restaurants are the Smokehouse BBQ and the Common Place. The Smokehouse is bbq and burgers.. that kind of stuff. They make their own bbq sauce. Their food is really good. The Common Place is a mom and pop kinda restaurant. They serve breakfast all day. It's homecooked kind of food. It's really good too.
In the case that the clothes you wear arent approved (and I really hope you wont have to deal with this, but we get a lot of people in that situation), there is a Family Dollar and a Dollar General.
If theres anything else you need or want to know, just let me know. Hope I could help you.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
The Following User Says Thank You to jberraenmdyy For This Useful Post:
utahndolce (08-29-2013)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Default FCI Gilmer

My husband self surrendered to FCI Gilmer on Wednesday. Is there anyone else out there that has a loved one there? How long have they been there? I am new to this whole prison thing and I am at a loss. I just want to know what other people's loved ones have told them about Gilmer. I have spoken to a few of the guards there and they all seem pretty nice. I saw the grounds from the outside and it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. Is there anything I should know that nobody I talk to is going to tell me? Does anyone know how long it takes to get money on the books? I sent a money order today to the address in Des Moines my husband told me to send it to. I am hoping that he gets it soon. Does anyone know if they have to buy paper, stamps, envelopes, pens, etc.....or is that stuff provided?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I don't know exactly how things work in the federal prison system.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,480 Times in 3,267 Posts

Hi and welcome to PTO. You found the place for support and understanding. If you go into the State forum for where your loved one is located you will be able to find lots of useful information.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM

Default FCI Gilmer questions....

My husband self surrendered to FCI Gilmer on Wednesday. Is there anyone else out there that has a loved one there? How long have they been there? I am new to this whole prison thing and I am at a loss. I just want to know what other people's loved ones have told them about Gilmer. I have spoken to a few of the guards there and they all seem pretty nice. I saw the grounds from the outside and it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. Is there anything I should know that nobody I talk to is going to tell me? Does anyone know how long it takes to get money on the books? I sent a money order today to the address in Des Moines my husband told me to send it to. I am hoping that he gets it soon. Does anyone know if they have to buy paper, stamps, envelopes, pens, etc.....or is that stuff provided?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I don't know exactly how things work in the federal prison system.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

My fiance has been there for 2 years this Oct. The money order usually takes about 5 days to get on there depending on where you are mailing it from. The fastest way is Western Union but it also costs a lot more to send it. They have to buy the things for the mail. I have been to visit 3 times in the last year and the guards are ok. The clothing for visitation is crazy at times, but it's their rules. If you want to know anything else just let me know. There aren't a lot of people on here with someone at Gilmer.