Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How much do you watch, read, listen to Prison related content?
I am obsessed. Movies, tv, books, music, internet groups! 293 37.14%
I am not obsessed, but I do look out for prison related themes. 296 37.52%
I don't look for it, but if I come across it, I'll watch or listen. 168 21.29%
I have way too much other stuff to do! 32 4.06%
Voters: 789. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Keep calm & carry on

I always watch crime shoes, including Lock Up, Cops, etc. I've always been interested in stuff like that though
The Following User Says Thank You to SHS0803JAE For This Useful Post:
Waitil723 (04-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Yes.. but I've always watched those types of shows! But now when I watch em...I find myself thinking of my honey in that situation Ugh.. I hate it!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Although I don't consider myself obsessed, I find I lose track of time while searching on the internet. I'm glad I found this website, it's been very informative and reassuring. I refuse to watch any of the shows on regular TV or cable, I can't bear to watch them and know that's where my son is.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Missing My #1 King

At the start of his incarceration, I was obsessed with Lockup. Over the last few months, I actually stopped watching it, not because I wanted to, but because I got busy with school and work. I do watch the lockup episodes when they feature my county (Yay OC!) or if it happens to be on while I am in bed. Recently, I have shifted my "obsession" to literature, reading "Visiting Life" by Bridget Kinsella and "The Prisoner's Wife" by Asha Bandele. But I have decreased my "obsession" in the last few months because I just found other ways to cope.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM

I watch the prison shows and anything else that has to do with the crime theme. It gives me some insight on what is going on.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM

yes indeed! !!...im glad im not the only one. i wasnt into the shows until i met my man...and now i can't get enough...i don't know if maybe it makes me feel closer to him...but i must admit its like an obsession lol...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:25 PM

YES!! I live the show lockup raw. And I've recently got into the shows Hard Time & Beyond Scared Straight ( a show to show at risk teens the path their headed down and take em into jail/prison to show them what it's like in their).
Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 AM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 PTOQ Editorial Team Member Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,190 Posts

I find the Lockdown show really interesting

USA Green Card DV 2017 Lotto Winner for OC CN7**
The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, forgetting that you are special too
Previous International - Long Distance - MWI Relationship
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM

i am , but I have been that way even before she went away. I have always loved jail movies , shows, pictures, etc. I sit up and watch lock-up all night on weekends............
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Til' Death...

You'd think it would depress you but it makes me feel better about our" situation". Msnbc lockup, natgeo hardtimes, jail, all those make me feel closer to him kinda like i get to "experience" it too.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Pay it forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHisBonnie
You'd think it would depress you but it makes me feel better about our" situation". Msnbc lockup, natgeo hardtimes, jail, all those make me feel closer to him kinda like i get to "experience" it too.
I agree. I watch all those shows to get a sense of where he is, what he does on a different level than the one he tells me about. Ever since he got arrested I've been here searching for info, have been watching those shows.

It helps me cope in a way and helps me understand his moods sometimes or why he puts on a brave face and stuff like that.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Til' Death...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCherryNikki View Post
I agree. I watch all those shows to get a sense of where he is, what he does on a different level than the one he tells me about. Ever since he got arrested I've been here searching for info, have been watching those shows.

It helps me cope in a way and helps me understand his moods sometimes or why he puts on a brave face and stuff like that.
Yeah...he wont say much about how its like, so i had to figure it out myself by watching more of the shows. Now i can kinda understand what he is going through without having to play 21 questions.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM

any person in their right mind that has a husband or son or wife or daughter, would not find this appealing at all. those shows sugar coat the real problems in prison and its disgusting. if hes got some hard time to do, you'll start to not want to watch those shows. just wait... ..
Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,205 Times in 2,544 Posts

Mikes_Wifey,

Everyone has their own way of dealing with their LO's incarceration. My LO does have hard time to do. We're just at the beginning of a very long journey.

I personally have watched a few of these and find them enlightening with regards to certain subjects. My LO doesn't always tell me what happens on the inside. Even if you feel it 'sugar coats' the real problems, some feel otherwise. I've been able to ask point blank questions about what I've seen and gotten straight answers from my LO. Had I not seen something on one of these shows and asked about, he never would have told me. It helped me get a better understanding of what I think he might be going through.

MM

Last edited by MiniMoose; 09-25-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

I agree with MM. Everybody does have their own ways of dealing with things and situations. But of course everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. I have always been into prison stuff but mainly the shows like lockup and raw and other law things. But since this new journey, im into prison things now more then ever. My interest have shifted a little bit tho...im now really into FAMM, PTO, and other supporting and informational sites and still watch the shows cuz i like to know whats going on and how things are really like. Helps me understand him better and to see what its like in his new government temporary home.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

Mine has told me not to watch lockup(?) he said it wasn't what he was experiencing so it would only cause me to worry.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 AM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse
Mine has told me not to watch lockup(?) he said it wasn't what he was experiencing so it would only cause me to worry.
Yes, mine told me the same thing. He said what they show on t.v is a lot of the max or high security state pens and high and max fed pens. He said where he is at is NOTHING as what they show it to be. I thought well, thats good but there is somebody else out there who does have LO's in those prisons so i still always think of them.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM

lmao about watching lock up.....after visits this Saturday me an the home-girl where in the room watching with lock-up on the TV...at 3----the channel never changed n when the other girls got back to the room it still stayed the same well we were all laying down about to knock-out n i was like girls wtf are we still watching this show for the past 6 hours lol...nobody changed the channel....the funniest thing was when 2 of the girls were like lol....Ive already seen all these episodes....

*u had to be there*

~TilL tHe EnD oF tImE~
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Home since 03/2016 <3

I'm getting to be, lol. I want to know absolutely everything I can about the system and the process. Knowledge is a weapon. And I know that I have better access to information on the outside, so I want to be able to help him as much as possible from here.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Hancock State Newbie

When I first started talking to my boo I was so worried for him. YouTube was my life line to all prison stuff. He literally laughed in my face and told me to chill out watching those videos. I have totally chilled out and take it one day at a time. I love my man...
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM

....I Watch Lock up & Beyond scared straight on the regular, I've never seen not even one episode of Orange is the New black....The only show I don't like is the one on Discovery ID, the one where they follow the Wives, They always seem sad and look frumpy.....
Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM

I was just telling my man yesterday about a documentary I saw on Netflix about the rescue dog training program in a prison (called Dogs on the Inside I think, very good!), and he was like GIRL, you and your prison shows lol He finds it funny that I'm so curious about this. I used to watch all the Locked Up on youtube just to have a glimpse of his life, but he says it's nothing like that where he is now, he's not in maximum anymore and hasn't been for a while so I stopped watching. I try to find more positive stuff to watch. I can't stand Beyond Scared Straight all this yelling is humiliating I don't like it one bit.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:41 PM

I started watching Oz again recently, and when I told him he laughed. According to him, Oz is so much cleaner than the prison life he knows and loves. He asked me to stop watching all of the prison shows, and reading the books. Driving myself crazy with the details. Life has so much beauty , and he says he doesn't see the point in my investing crazy amounts of my time with "prison stuff" when I can focus on other things. He's right. I get enough prison with him. I'll leave the rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to B92m For This Useful Post:
hismom1115 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Love Endureth

I love shows like Dateline and anything on Discovery Investigation. I don't watch it as much as I used too when my Hubby first started his bid. My passion has cooled down a lot.
Parole date: 7/2014 (denied/no reset)
EOS: 12/27/15 ( my belated Christmas gift)

Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 AM
All roads lead to you.

I watch beyond scared straight, the new show about co's coming out of training. My son tells me to stop watching that stuff, because it really isn't like that in prison. He did a scared straight program in county for young offenders. Like some of you, I studied psychology in college. Strangely, it makes me feel closer to my son. To see what he may go thru each day. My son laughs at me when I tell him what I watch. I thought I was the only one who watched these shows, I don't feel so alone anymore! Thanks ladies!!

You have made me smile since October 12,1990,the day I was gifted with you! My son, my heart.

My son is home!!!
Don't look behind you, there is nothing there. Your future is ahead of you.