Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Default Pre 1983, old Parole System

Hello everyone. I started this thread as a favor to TOBA. She will be posting some things in here.

Thanks,
~SPIKESWIFE~

Last edited by JWSPMS; 01-01-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 PM

My husband is under the old sentencing structure - only about 5,000 of the 90,000 inmate are. We are hoping that if they automatically give felons their voting rights they might finally eliminate the Parole Commission. Only 11% of what they do anymore is related to parole and the major chunck, 55% is clemency hearings. The Parole Commission duplicates the duties of the DOC and costs the state 12.5 million a year - and I have always wondered if that 12.5 covers all the court cases that they fight - or does that money come out of a different pot??

I would like to share news with anyone who had a family member under the Florida Parole system - legislative updates, court cases, anything!

My husband is at Wakulla.

Thanks - Happy New Year

Toba
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Account Closed

There are parole hearings every Wednesday in Tallahassee. Clemency hearings are held (waiver and consideration) maybe 8 times a year.

The Commission conducts a lot of supervision oversight with DOC doing the field work as well.

4-5K inmates are in under the 'old' system but there are thousands more (up until 1994 with life sentences) who are subject to FPC jurisdiction. The 'old' system inmates are almost all murderers or parole violators.

Abolishing the FPC wouln't be a good thing for most inmates who are subject to their jurisdiction. Florida isn't going to abolish the FPC and just let everyone walk out. The alternate plans involve regional parole boards (Texas plan) which would be filled with lay people (ex cops and victims advocates) who wouldn't necessarily be open to letting anyone out.

So while FPC has violated a bunch of people, suspended peoples' PPRDs and played hardball with numerous inmates - for the remaining thousands of Florida inmates its generally benneficial to have them functioning as-is.

Individual inmates might want to see the FPC go away but for the majority (in my opinion) the FPC getting abolished would be harmful to the chances of ever walking off a DOC compound.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Abolishing the FPC would be a great thing - any alternative to the PC would be better - in the past 9 years there has been a net 24 paroled individuals (my statistics are through 95 from the FPC web site) - these past few years, the current group, rescind more than they parole. The parole eligible inmates don't have a chance - the PC is their own judge and jury - they don't look at DRs, programs, or family support.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Account Closed

First of all your numbers are incorrect. I don't sit around counting - I just worry about my cleints' cases - 24 'net' (whatever that means) doesn't reflect the numerous inmates who walk off DOC compounds every month per FPC orders which are cut every Wednesday here in Tallahassee.

You, (from Calif.), want us to blow-up our parole system so maybe your husband gets another shot at parole with a different system. Do you think the new board will just forget about what happened at the FPC? What is going to make a new parole system anymore open to your husband's request than the old one?

I don't know your husband's situation but it sounds like he got worked over by FPC. That doesn't mean we should abandon our system and implement a new one so maybe he can get another shot. Did he ever get parole? Did he violate the terms of his parole?

I don't have a dog in the fight - I can represent folks in either the current system or in a new one. I am saying the FPC is a good thing for the numerous Florida inmates who serve time under its jurisdiction. Destroying it because a few folks are chaffed over how their case turned out is a bad idea.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM

This thread isn't about arguing statistics, having words put in my mouth, having my opinions slammed, or discussing my personal situation - the Florida Legislature has attempted, in the past two years to eliminate the PC. I would like to hear any news about that and any cases won against the them.

Back down Newman this isn't a court room.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Account Closed

Don't get your feelings hurt. Also you can call me Luke or even Mr. Newman - "Newman" is usually reserved for members of my fraternity house or high school football team.

Go the DCA website(s) and check out their online dockets. Run a search under attorney name Bischoff, Bradley. Brad Bischoff is one of the top guns in their general counsel's office.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 PM

My feelings can only be hurt by people I respect. My opinion of you is that you are an angry man - maybe at the end of a relationship - did you just get divorced or something?? No - sorry - I really don't want to know - too personal. Using someone’s last name is commonplace in my field - Luke is too personal and Mr. Newman - well that implies respect so I just won't call you anything - I will just write as I do, because believe it or not I am not just writing you. I expect that you are young - too easily impressed with others and with little worldly knowledge/experience - I have no feelings about you one way or the other - just a tad upset with myself because you caught me for a second. Take it easy – your boss isn’t though of very highly in my circle – bad reputation.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Johns Wife Forever

You know, I thought PTO was about respecting each other and understanding that some people have differing opinions.

Toba you are just getting mean now and theres no reason for it.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Ladies and gentleman, we need to get this thread a bit back on track. We are all adults here and intitled to her or his opinion but at PTO we can't allow this thread to remain open if there are personnal attacks against from either side.

So lets play nicely ok?

~SPIKESWIFE~

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM

The 'old' system inmates are almost all murderers or parole violators.wrong – “almost all” – lovely phrase – allows one to say whatever one wants – and prejudices the audience to think negatively.

Florida isn't going to abolish the FPC and just let everyone walk out. Another wonderful phrase trying to make everyone think that is what I “think/mean” – of course they won’t.

The alternate plans involve regional parole boards (Texas plan) which would be filled with lay people (ex cops and victims advocates) who wouldn't necessarily be open to letting anyone out. This is another BS phrase – in Texas they parole people, and if they f**- up then, then they serve their time but at least they are given a chance.

So while FPC has violated a bunch of people, suspended peoples' PPRDs and played hardball with numerous inmates - for the remaining thousands of Florida inmates its generally beneficial to have them functioning as-is. Again – the Florida PC doesn’t parole people – currently they are only letting inmates out that have been out before – because they know their violation is BS and the PC will lose in court. Playing the statistics game.
Individual inmates might want to see the FPC go away but for the majority (in my opinion) the FPC getting abolished would be harmful to the chances of ever walking off a DOC compound. Many INMATES KNOW that their only chance of parole is for the PC to be abolished – ask them. Especially the guys that have never had a DR and are on their first offence and are told – they have a pattern of escalating criminal behavior.

First of all your numbers are incorrect. I don't sit around counting - I just worry about my clients' cases - 24 'net' (whatever that means) doesn't reflect the numerous inmates who walk off DOC compounds every month per FPC orders which are cut every Wednesday here in Tallahassee. If you don’t sit around counting how do you know? – and what is really weird is that the DOC numbers are much lower than he FPC numbers – but you didn’t bring that up.

You, (from Calif.), want us to blow-up our parole system so maybe your husband gets another shot at parole with a different system. Do you think the new board will just forget about what happened at the FPC? What is going to make a new parole system anymore open to your husband's request than the old one?
WOW – you don’t even know me, my situation and so on yet you are trying to make everyone who reads this think you do!! BLOW-UP – again, inflammatory words, putting pictures in peoples minds – I honestly don’t care if they remember or forget what the FPC has done – I just want honesty, someone who follows the guidelines. And the YOU thing – hum – “blow-up” just more inflammatory phrases from a lawyer – puts me in the same arena with the “dogs” and the “terrorists”.

I don't know your husband's situation but it sounds like he got worked over by FPC. That doesn't mean we should abandon our system and implement a new one so maybe he can get another shot. Did he ever get parole? Did he violate the terms of his parole? Bam bam bam – what did you really ask here – you just wanted to put pictures/thoughts in people’s minds. Very low handed You are right – YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME OR MY FAMILY.

I don't have a dog in the fight - I can represent folks in either the current system or in a new one. I am saying the FPC is a good thing for the numerous Florida inmates who serve time under its jurisdiction. Destroying it because a few folks are chaffed over how their case turned out is a bad idea. You don’t have a dog in the fight – what a HORRIFIC phrase – do you know what dogs look like that are put in a ring?
L Have you asked ANY parole eligible inmates what they think about the PC and their chances of getting parole? – that is right, you don’t’ have a dog in the fight!! Most dogs are beaten to death, bleed to death from the wounds – and that truly is what happens to the inmates that go up for parole.

General question – what would you think of a lawyer that took, lets say about 10K from an inmate in the 1980s who caught a BS sentence - and told that inmate that they WOULD get them released and then bailed on them??? HUM??? I am not saying this is anyone but what would someone think about a lawyer who did that? Also what does a person think about a lawyer who comments on a web page for inmates families at 9:20 in the morning during work days?? What do people think about people who are married to an inmate who might be a “murderer or parole violator?”

I don’t f++ing care. I just wanted information on the possible elimination of the Florida Parole Commission -

But hey – I am being mean!!

Just Block me -
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM
strong enough

cuckoo cuckoo
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM

Anger Management classes will be held today in room 101.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Account Closed

I just want everyone to know that I checked with my wife last night and we are still married. (Yay!!!)

TOBA - I told you how to search for FPC cases in the DCAs and you are freaking out. Calm down. If you think someone got screwed by my firm on a fee from the 80s then email me or just have a family member post the client name and waive confidentiality so we can discuss the case openly on the board. I don't think I took a legal fee in the 80s because when the 80s ended I was in grade school.

I have to go and read the boards to keep an eye on people like yourself. Its work for me as I would rather spend my internet playtime looking at baseball scores or NASCAR reports. I try to just answer questions on threads that can be answered with a quick reply. But I think everyone needs to know the alternatives involved in abolishing the FPC. There are a bunch of inmates who have struck out with FPC and their families are usually behind the notion of abolishing the Commission. The devil we know here in Florida might well be better than the devil we don't know.

So don't come on here trying to convince folks that disbanding the FPC is going to help their family members' cases. Thats not necessarily the situation. Did you read the OPAGA report? It would take two years for a substitute system to even come online. (Two years where nobody walks out). Then a local board full of cops would sit and hear cases and look mainly to see what the FPC had done in the past. So disbanding the current system could well just spin a bunch of peoples wheels.

You married into this system knowingly right? So don't self destruct - this is what you asked for. Typing stuff about my love life and saying I compared you to a terrorist, while colorful, isn't going to change the basics of the Florida criminal justice system.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,660 Times in 762 Posts

Let's keep this thread on topic!

Ann
Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM

Thank you, Luke Newman, for your opinion and insight. I guess some of our loved ones have been treated so unfairly that we -perhaps not wisely- rejoice at a different system. But you are right, I think...A board of cops or ex-cops....
I shudder at the mere thought of it. If that happens, they'll probably let EVERYONE serve their maximum sentence.....Please everyone, don't forget, cops get to SEE crime scenes, don't believe in rehabillitation, most hate lawyers....don't understand why we love and support "convicts." The pressure of their "Fraternity" when they plan to parole someone....
No, as bad as it is now, I wouldn't want to have it changed THAT way....