Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Also -- I was able to find a list of all of the educational and trade programs that are offered (for free) at every correctional facility or detention center in Virginia, if anyone needs the info. for that particular state, let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to frankiesgirl123 For This Useful Post:
dburns (05-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Default programs in VA prisons

Also, I was able to find a list of all of the educational and trade course programs offered (free) at every one of Virginias correctional and diversion centers. If anyone needs info on Virginia specifically, let me know. Thats the state my guy is in so thats where I'm doing all of my research.

Last edited by frankiesgirl123; 10-02-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM

We are going to use Ohio University. They have a College Program for the Incarcerated that has been in existence since the mid seventies. The courses look very good, and it is possible to get a degree from there will my son is in prison. In talking to the people, they seem very sympathetic to someone trying to better themselves, regardless of the circumstances. They also are very understanding to the fact that internet access is spotty at best. All of the material and correspondence comes via mail Hopefully we will finish with registration after this lockdown is over.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Unless your state specifically doesn't allow grants for felons, I wouldn't go into the past at all. You can find that out over the phone. Unless Congress has really been busy, Federal Grants are still for everyone. All the more reason none of us should anger anyone to take that human right away along with others. I feel bad enough life didn't go well back then.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Inmate_Mom View Post
I've had great success with ordering textbooks and ordinary books from both Amazon and their 3rd Party Sellers. Check with the mail rules at the particular prison you're delivering to, so before placing an order you can inquire with the seller that they can comply.

Before using a new seller, I send an email asking if #1) they can ship via US Postal General Delivery (no method requiring a signature) and #2) No Bubble Wrap/Packing Materials inside the box. These are the two main requirements at the prison I ship to (Hamilton CI, north Florida).

Higher education is terrific for the inmate's self-esteem. It's both a personal challenge and an investment in their future. A Win-Win all the way around. Taking corespondence courses has really raised my son's spirits. Good luck to all our loved ones!
I am seeking information on education for my fiance` who is in a FL prison. He is wanting to do some college courses etc. Can you give me any advise or tips where to find info for him? Also do you know if FL inmates are elegible for grants and or student aide? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Florida correspondence courses

I am also trying to find a college/university that does correspondence courses via mail for my husband that is currently incarcerated if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiesgirl123 View Post
Also, I was able to find a list of all of the educational and trade course programs offered (free) at every one of Virginias correctional and diversion centers. If anyone needs info on Virginia specifically, let me know. Thats the state my guy is in so thats where I'm doing all of my research.
My son is currently in the county jail in Virginia awaiting his court dates. He will probably end up in the regional jail. He was set to start college but has made some wrong turns and mistakes in the past couple of months. I have been trying to find information regarding educational programs that are out there so he can take classes and be more prepared when he gets out. Any information that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,263 Times in 7,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleysMom View Post
My son is currently in the county jail in Virginia awaiting his court dates. He will probably end up in the regional jail. He was set to start college but has made some wrong turns and mistakes in the past couple of months. I have been trying to find information regarding educational programs that are out there so he can take classes and be more prepared when he gets out. Any information that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
http://www.outreach.ohio.edu/cpi/

Yeah, it's Ohio, but he can do it in Virginia, and it's respected, accredited, associated with a good university, and should offer courses that transfer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
mssirois2u (02-04-2018), Mz Jin (05-07-2013), WesleysMom (11-02-2011), xxxaxxx (01-02-2012)
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Default school for inmates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~blue's wifey~ View Post
I am also trying to find a college/university that does correspondence courses via mail for my husband that is currently incarcerated if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it

My grandson is in fl doc system in the panhandle he is doing a course thru a school out of penn. it is called Blackstone Career Ins. phone number is800-826-9228 web for information it is email address info@blackstone.edu I orginally looked up on internet they offer a variety of courses and you can do monthly payments that is what we did. My grandson did paralegal he is almost completed the course. It is all done thru the usps. It is good for him mentally and keeps him busy too he will probably do extension of courses next. Hope this helps simonsezfl
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM

I completed a degree while in prison through California Coast University based in Santa Ana, California. The program was good, all coursework was done through the mail, and they set up a do-able payment plan for me. I have nothing but good things to say about this school. CALCOAST.EDU has individual classes as well as degree programs from associates to masters (maybe PhD's too, not sure).

Last edited by JoeB1968; 01-01-2012 at 03:55 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeB1968 For This Useful Post:
BsWifey.636 (02-23-2012), dmoneyswife (01-28-2013)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB1968 View Post
I completed a degree while in prison through California Coast University based in Santa Ana, California. The program was good, all coursework was done through the mail, and they set up a do-able payment plan for me. I have nothing but good things to say about this school. CALCOAST.EDU has individual classes as well as degree programs from associates to masters (maybe PhD's too, not sure).
I was recently told about this college via another poster on PTO. I decided to contact them and found them to be extremely nice and helpful. If you visit the site you can get lots of answers there. I would also add that they are inmate friendly.

The Following User Says Thank You to RCwasmadeforme For This Useful Post:
dmoneyswife (01-28-2013)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
HiS MRS.DiZZY FOREVER

Default hubby wants to study

my husband is interested in furthering his education and i'm looking for a good college out in california. He has told me about a few places that are a via mail so if any of you have any ideas of good places it will be very appreciated thanks in advanced
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM

does anyone know if a felon can get grants and school loans in Wisconsin or Illinois? Do you know of colleges or universities in these states where a felon can get acceptance? Thanks for your help
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Curtis Wife

I actually live in Illinois but don't know of any schools. I was always told that felons couldn't get grants and financial aid. I think it's easier for them to take the classes while incarcerated because the payment plans are realistic. My Husband is currently completing his Bachelors in Communications with Appalachian State out of Boone, North Carolina, while incarcerated. He's paying for the classes himself.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make this topic. Very helpful.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinagrl23 View Post
I guess I will never get my question answered. I really feel over looked. I will go to another topic
Everything is done through the mail or on the computer. You don't physically go to classes. If there is no computer, lessons are mailed to you by the instructor. You complete them and mail back. They are graded and returned to you for review.