Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 PM

Default Wondering about Rehab ?

Hello everyone, Iím just wondering if you know a good rehab here in IA? Searching on google is easier, but I want some inputs from other people first before I do that. My brother is a drug addict for about 5 years and he said that he stopped and has been sober for 4 months. We live together in the past (with my girlfriend) then he got a job and gets his own apartment and thatís where this problem started.

When I visited him in his apartment, heís doing it again. Heís been in and out of jail because of his actions. I donít know what to do and I really want to help him recover. Thatís why I thought about sending him to a rehab and he said heís willing to do it. I donít know if Iíll believe him or not but, I will eventually as he is my only family. Any advice and suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,263 Times in 7,457 Posts

Iowa's kinda a big state. If you're over in Dubuque, a rehab in Sioux City isn't that helpful. If it is, then head over to MN and Hazelden - they're supposed to be primo http://www.hazelden.org/. But, if you're like most of us, you want something pretty close by that's got a decent reputation. Your best bet is not the internet, but referrals from others who've been there. YOU can head to an Al-Anon or Narc-Anon meeting and talk with others about rehabs. Or, you can talk with your primary care physician or any therapist in the area - they'll be able to give you the skinny, not in the way that all the other loved ones at Al-Anon and Narc-Anon can, but they know what's out there, and what's decent.

Mostly, it's the treatment available through your local mental health agency. So, if you're over in Dubuque, you want to go to Turning Point.

And, you do know that if he's not ready or not wanting rehab, getting him there is pretty much a waste of time, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Anky1984 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the response yourself. We’ve considered Narc-Anon but that didn’t work for him. A rehab actually was our last bet on his recovery that’s why I asked that question.

While I was waiting for a reply, I searched a website which is close to where we are. I think the website is http://desmoines.alcoholismrecoverycenter.com/. Maybe some people here know about this place, I would like to know what their experience about this rehab was.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
And, you do know that if he's not ready or not wanting rehab, getting him there is pretty much a waste of time, right?
Yes I know that and he said that he’s willing to go to a rehab.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 PM
attorney

YOU can go to Narc-Anon. This is peer therapy for those who have LO who are addicts. You can get support and information from those who've walked where you are now.

My brother tends to agree to go to rehab when it gets him out of trouble. The moment the trouble is over, and the courts no longer have a hold on him, he leaves rehab. We've been doing this dance for 30 years. Each time, I hope he embraces sobriety. Each time, he proves that his intention isn't sobriety. For me, I have to keep him out of my life and keep hoping that he embraces sobriety. The dance gets really old, really fast. But, trust me, the people at Narc Anon can help YOU. http://www.nar-anon.org/naranon/Meetings. As the saying goes - how can you hope that he'll get help if you're not willing to get help on your own?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:31 AM

Thanks for this info and I guess I have no choice but to go to a NA meeting.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anky1984 View Post
Thanks for this info and I guess I have no choice but to go to a NA meeting.
Narc anon and NA are usually considered two different things - NA is usually for people who have problems with addiction, Narc Anon is for those who have LO with problems with addiction. While both deal with substance abuse, it's from different perspectives - you want a Narc anon meeting, whether you have a personal problem with addiction or not, to help you deal with your brother's addiction.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Donation Award 

If there are no Narc-Anon meetings in your area (there aren't in mine) then go to Al-Anon. Probably 1/4 of the people in my weekly Al-Anon meetings are there because their LO is an addict and not an alcoholic. The things you learn are the same. How to live YOUR life even when those closest to you are messing theirs up.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,599 Times in 5,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOneLeft View Post
If there are no Narc-Anon meetings in your area (there aren't in mine) then go to Al-Anon. Probably 1/4 of the people in my weekly Al-Anon meetings are there because their LO is an addict and not an alcoholic. The things you learn are the same. How to live YOUR life even when those closest to you are messing theirs up.
This is great advice. Al-Anon is a wonderful group. I hope you will look into it.