Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Question THE VIVOTROL SHOT does anyone know anything

Well his life our life spirals out of control....his probation officer has told him about this shot "vivotrol" he gets it...but his drug of choice is crack and the shot is primarily for opiates and alchol....but dr and officer said it works for crack also
well guess what he is worse then ever....i am devastated again....i love him so much but he doesnt care ab0ut anythng but making money cutting hair for his habit....i threw him out...i just want to help him but he is to far gone....has anyone heard abo9ut this shot ...will it ever work?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 03:10 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,565 Times in 6,759 Posts

I don't have any personal experience of this drug but I did find some information online. Vivitrol

I think if he uses this drug he has to WANT to quit, if he isn't trying to get clean then this shot wont do him any good

I am so sorry I know you badly want him to get clean but he really is the only one that can beat this addiction

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Default so he left

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainengland View Post
I don't have any personal experience of this drug but I did find some information online. Vivitrol

I think if he uses this drug he has to WANT to quit, if he isn't trying to get clean then this shot wont do him any good

I am so sorry I know you badly want him to get clean but he really is the only one that can beat this addiction
I have been up for three days bascially...working....and dealing with this...i am so hurt..last night he was sweating he was insane...he worked as a barber and he was home all day i guess getting high on crack....he was so mean to me..he finally left and told me he hated me....all i ever did was try to help....the shot is not working at all....and it was so expensive....he is on it and smoking more crack then ever....he got FIRED FROM the barbershop this morning probably bc he doesnt stay and goes to buy drugs.,...i can not beleieve this is all happening ....i am so sad...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,166 Times in 7,106 Posts

Have you sought help for yourself yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,545 Times in 11,001 Posts

Msandre, you have to cut loose! You have to get rid of him, get rid of your worries about him, get rid of the constant anxiety that is wearing you away! Please, for your sanity, for your health, end this relationship once and for all.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 AM

I've been on this, also called Naltrexone, and although I never smoked crack, I can say that until I wanted desperately to get sober, nothing else mattered, with the combination of a person wanting to desperately to get sober and doing the work to stay sober, this medicine could help some of the cravings- but I don't know, sounds like without a desire to stop using crack, it's just like putting tape over a check engine light and thinking everything will be ok. Not that you are thinking that, but the doctor and PO are . You know better, unfortunately and we all know how this story ends. Very sorry for your pain. You are not alone, I get to go visit my son in his 5th rehab tomorrow. De-tatch with love- or they will bring you down with them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jextrane For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (12-22-2013), lisainengland (12-22-2013), Lordbew/us (12-22-2013), msandre88 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 AM
tired

Thanked 14,167 Times in 3,687 Posts

Kick his ass out. Nothing like hitting your ultimate bottom at the holidays to humble yourself and think 'hey, I better quit or Im going to be alone and maybe die'....straightened my ass right up when i figured out no one owed me anything, couldn't care about me because I didn't care either and I was on the path to death. You aren't doing him or yourself any good putting up with that shit .

Excuse my language, I just got out of my sobriety meeting and am starting to talk like the guys

Last edited by bumblebee37; 12-22-2013 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: cuz i thought about my cursing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bumblebee37 For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (12-22-2013), lisainengland (12-22-2013), Lordbew/us (12-22-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 AM
i love him
Donation Award 

You have been by his side and he has done nothing but put you down and it is not good for you. You finally need to let go. He needs to deal with his demons on his own. There is nothing you can do for him, and it does not sound like he is ready to be clean. I hope you can find the strength to walk away and not look back. Trust me, I know it is hard to hear, but until he is ready to be clean and sober, you will not be a priority in his life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarbear831 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (12-23-2013), msandre88 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 AM

you guys are all right...it is sad to watch but i am mentally detaching...he got his own room and now he is working at a new barber shop....i am not sure how he is still free but he needs to go to jail...for his own sanity and safety...his probation officer needs to have him come more often...he sent him to rehab he sent him for this shot...now he needs to do jail.....bc this shit is nuts....he is nuts...i dont feel even comfortable with him...he intimidates me....sucks...
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 AM

That does suck ..its so difficult when you love someone and you can see their potential but they squander it due to the disease of addiction ..Take care of yourself and stay strong . You can't control what he does ..only what you allow into your life ..it sounds like is healthy for you to detach at this time .sounds like he's on a fast track to trouble ..
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
LiL JoNs Mom

I have worked with a drug treatment program where we used Vivitrol. It is used mainly for alcohol & narcotic but is said to work for other drugs as well. What typically happens when someone starts using while on Vivitrol is that they increase the amount the were using before starting the Vivtrol shots in an effort to get past the block that the shot gives them. Therefore, their drug use is heavier than ever. It is given once a month and must be given on time. There are dangers with using drugs while taking Vivitrol, like a large increase in incidents of overdose because the patient is using so much more in an effort to get high. It is very dangerous to use while getting these shots. The only way the shot is going to fully work is if HE decides to stop using and use the Vivitrol as a tool in his recovery. Yes, these shots are very expensive & I hope you were able to work with the manufacturer in order to get a discount. Best of luck to you with this situation. You've done the best you can, now it is up to him.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM

I watched as my LO's addiction became increasingly out of control. He was abusing me, blaming me and I was going crazy trying to get him under control so he wouldn't go back to prison.

The one thing I learned is that he will not change until he does a lot of work on himself and wants to quit using. In the meantime, you have to walk away and begin to heal. You can not heal with him and his addiction around. No matter how much you love him, you have to take care of you. I feel your pain. ((((hugs))))
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pikanita For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (12-30-2013), msandre88 (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 AM

well he is getting worse and worse...we are not talking as much...which is better for me...but i still can not believe how bad he has gotten since the shot...OMG...APART OF me hates him and the other part is just devastated....i can not believe how he has been so much worse with thie VIVOTROL SHOT...CLEARLY it does not work for crack cocaine...and he is mean to me....i will get over this...i can not sit around and wit for him to change...i have lost respect for him and him for me i am sure...it just sucks...i think he will never be clean....ever...bc he had the one chance and blew it...hopefully he will survive this...and wake up...and move on...without me ofcourse i know we are ruined i know we are....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,166 Times in 7,106 Posts

When are you going to stop worrying about him and get some help for yourself?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (01-02-2014), nimuay (01-01-2014)