Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum Please use this forum to discusss all news and information relating to Hurricane Katrina

Old 09-25-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Some of the things that have gone on here with them

I asked someone and they thought I should share what I know that some of the people did here. In an apt complex here in Houston. They put 7 people in each apt, they had five apts of that. Well the people who live there heard about them being placed in the complex. A young man went to his kitchen to give these people some of the basic things they would need, glasses, plates, etc. When he knocked on the door to give them what he had for them. One of the men told him he didn't need to do that and then showed him a 50 gallon ice chest full of jewelry, cause they had that. That man went and bought a brand new Chevy Corvette, with cash. Keep in mind they had been given 6 months of free rent and they had gotten an apt full of furniture donated by a furniture store, all the people got it also. Well one lady had complained that her baby didn't have food or diaper etc. A lady went to her to her bank and got a $100 dollars out of her savings account and went to Wal-Mart and got the baby what she could and gave it to the baby's mother. Well that mother took everything back to Wal-Mart and got the cash and went and had her hair done with the money. Someone else found out that one of the ladies used her FEMA money to by a $800 Coach purse. What is wrong with these people? This is what will mess things up for the next ones who really need the help. I would like to know how these people managed to get all that jewelry here when they were claiming to search them. I just wonder where they got all that jewelry from? You know others knew about what these people had and why didn't they report it when they kept getting the free stuff. Others here were caught getting more than one of the FEMA debit cards also. Something is wrong for this to be happening. Lets see what everyone thinks of this now. I had intended on posting this but I had to deal with Rita heading here.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,188 Times in 496 Posts

I heard on the radio about people saying they were from the area to claim the debit card but they really were not affected by it! Also heard reports on the radio of some people using that money to buy expensive handbags! CRAZY

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Wage Slave

Human nature is such that there will always be a few people that abuse the system. Sadly, some politicians use them as examples in order to justify doing away with programs that help many people who urgently need them. I am pretty certain that those who escaped the flooding in New Orleans with an ice chest full of expensive jewelry are indeed very few and far between.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:12 AM

Did you witness these actions or did you hear about them from someone else? Just questioning because I don't so much know if I believe these stories
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 AM

This happened at the apt complex that my son lives at. He talked to the people that told him what they had done. He called me to ask me about handgun laws since someone had tried to steal his car and he was beyond mad at what these people had done. He had them in the apt under his. quote=KMJoyner]Did you witness these actions or did you hear about them from someone else? Just questioning because I don't so much know if I believe these stories[/quote]
Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 AM

I think that the ones who did this type of stuff should be prevented from getting any other help. They don't need it if they are doing this type of stuff. It was on the news here about the handbags and expensive clothes. Oh and I forgot to mention that it was on the news here that some of them were using that money to get drunk. They had then gone back to the Astrodome causing problems there. That is when they put them on a curfew and they got mad about it. Well they should not of been going out and getting drunk on FEMA money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sunshine
I heard on the radio about people saying they I were from the area to claim the debit card but they really were not affected by it! Also heard reports on the radio of some people using that money to buy expensive handbags! CRAZY
Old 09-28-2005, 03:26 AM

Yes, things like that do happen although I'm not sure the story about all that jewelry is accurate. There would be no way the man could have brought it from New Orleans to Houston. As already stated, there will always be people who are very dishonest and who abuse the system. They make life miserable for the rest of the people who really and truly need help.

I know someone who worked as a social worker in Milwaukee County. She learned the hard way that when she gave welfare people bedding or any other thing, she had to first remove ALL labels - or else some of them would take the items back to Wal Mart or where ever they were purchased and get the cash back - and then spend it on alcohol or other useless items! So, the story about people doing this are probably accurate.

What a shame that those who do these things can't figure out how to be self sufficient and how to budget their money to improve their lives. Perhaps they grew up in such an environment and don't realize there is a better way of life? OR, has welfare been so good to them that they don't want to change - that they wish to remain on welfare and let taxpapers take care of them?? No, it isn't right at all. The Bush Administration has allocated more money for helping these people than has ever been spent. Yet, some of those people refuse to change and do not take advantage of the programs that are available. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.........
Old 02-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Folks, those people came from the hood, and what you described is what's called hood mentality.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Doesn't matter where they came from. Bad behavior is still wrong no matter where you come from.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Considers the source...

Default These People

[quote=txsfmhstn] A young man went to his kitchen to give these people some of the basic things they would need, glasses, plates, etc. What is wrong with these people?
This is what will mess things up for the next ones who really need the help. I would like to know how these people managed to get all that jewelry here when they were claiming to search them. I just wonder where they got all that jewelry from? You know others knew about what these people had and why didn't they report it when they kept getting the free stuff. quote]

It may just be me, but I was just wondering could it have been a different way to say to describe "those people" than "these people" Again, just wondering..

Also , I agree , wrong behavior is wrong regardless of who is doing it..
Old 02-11-2006, 12:12 AM

From the way you state things you haven't had much to do with the people from New Orleans. We have here. I was mad when I called them "these people" I was thinking much worse.

Last edited by txsfmhstn; 02-11-2006 at 12:44 AM..
Old 02-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Considers the source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsfmhstn
From the way you state things you haven't had much to do with the people from New Orleans. We have here. I was mad when I called them "these people" I was thinking much worse.
Thank you for your reply...
I didnt ask that ?? to minimize how u feel about them. I guess I was thinking on a different level (not necessarily a higher or lower level than what you or anyone else was thinking, just different)... but regardless, I'll keep my ??'s regarding them to myself next time.
I do hope though, that they and whoever else is living beneath the standard that requires them to be referred to something worse than "these people", get themselves together!

Peace....