Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions If the topic is a prison or jail in either of these countries, this is the place to discuss it!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Long bay special purpose unit

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any info on this. I was told that this provides more protection for inmates beyond normal protection? Can anyone elaborate and indicate the difference in general conditions between this and normal protection wing of a correctional center. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi Alaska888 - I too would like to know about this unit - I hope someone out there can answer your questions - or give us some idea about this?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM

hey guys,

i work at long bay and all i can tell you is that the SPC is usually only reserved for inmates of very high media interest and publicity AND former members of the police force, corrections or other proffessions where it would be dangerous to mix with normal inmates in the general wings.

as far as treatment is concerned, unlike normal protection inmates who may associate with other protection inmates. An inmate in the SPC will NOT associate with any other person, other than correctional officers, legal council, welfare or police investigators. So they will not even likely to see another inmate for the WHOLE time they are in the SPC. Also officers working in the SPC have signed legal documents to not disclose any information regarding the inmates held within the SPC.

Hope this helps,

Kev
Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 AM

Kev, do you mind if I pm you in regards to working and visiting ?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM

sure. i'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have, as long as it is within my ability to answer them.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Longbay conditions

Hi,
What are the living and eating conditions inside the Long Bay Prison?

Is healthy food, including fruits and vegetables available to inmates?

Are inmates separated according to type and severity of offence? That is, are sex offenders separated from drug offenders for example and on?

How many hours a day are inmates allowed out of their cell and outside in the open fresh air?

What days and times are allowed for visits?

Is the hygiene in the prison cells clean?

I'm curious to know about these things.

Thank you.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Utter Bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1986 View Post
hey guys,

i work at long bay and all i can tell you is that the SPC is usually only reserved for inmates of very high media interest and publicity AND former members of the police force, corrections or other proffessions where it would be dangerous to mix with normal inmates in the general wings.

as far as treatment is concerned, unlike normal protection inmates who may associate with other protection inmates. An inmate in the SPC will NOT associate with any other person, other than correctional officers, legal council, welfare or police investigators. So they will not even likely to see another inmate for the WHOLE time they are in the SPC. Also officers working in the SPC have signed legal documents to not disclose any information regarding the inmates held within the SPC.

Hope this helps,

Kev
There are 3 wings, a wing, b wing and c wing called sea world. and yes the inmates do mingle. there are exception, in c wing, but those consist of maybe max 2 people.

so stop posting bullshit

regards p481
The Following User Says Thank You to bennythebrewer For This Useful Post:
genie14 (05-30-2018)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 PM

oh, another fun fact, the screws working in the spc are regarded as scum by the other screws. Lovely!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 PM

Thanks Benny! Do you know this from visiting? Or other means?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 AM

Default Tyson

Hahaha Benny, long time no see..

Long Bay Special Purpose Centre is a special prison specifically for high profile inmates that require protection from general population inmates. These inmates are made up of former Judges, Police officers, Customs officials and also Crown witnesses who are giving evidence in high profile cases.

The living conditions there are very restrictive and there are advantages/disadvantages of being there. Visiting conditions are difficult as you are only allowed a maximum of 8 different people to visit you per year who must be approved by the Governor before they can visit. Visits are only on weekends and generally you are allowed 2 visits per week which are around 1-2hrs per visit. As it is a witness protection jail inmates are only known by numbers and their names are suppressed within the system.

In the beginning inmates are held in C-wing in complete isolation and are locked down for 23 hours per day. For the other 1hr they are allowed to exercise in a yard the size of a Tennis court. Over time they will progress to units where they can mingle with up to 3 other people then eventually be moved to A and B wing where they can mix with a maximum of between 10-20 inmates. As it is a small gaol Officers are generally a bit friendlier compared to larger facilities but you still have plenty of dickheads on powertrips aswell.

The conditions are very very restrictive. Once an inmate enters the program at SPC it is likely they will spend their entire sentence there and communication to the outside world is minimal. There is no chance to go back to a normal jail after that because having the SPC on your record makes you a marked person, in and out of prison. Entering the program is a decision which should not be made lightly as it will affect not only the inmate but their entire family and loved ones. Everything you say or do is monitored in the place, you are basically cut off from everyone and have to just accept whatever is told of you. They don't only take away your rights but also your humanity with nobody to complain to because in the end you are just a number.

The guards and police will say its for your own protection and will even tell you stories about how its a holiday camp to try and convince you to go there but the reality is its all bullshit. Police are liers and tell you whatever you want to hear. They promise you the world then lock you in a cell and isolate you from everyone so you cant complain. If you know anyone considering going there I advise against it. It wont reduce your sentence at all but the conditions itself are extremely harsh capmparable to doing twice the amount of time in general population. The only good things about the place are the wonderful education staff, psychologists and a handfull of officers who dont get caught up in how many stripes they have on their shoulder.

I was an inmate there from 2007-2014.

Tyson(P509)