Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Careers after felony conviction?

I need to choose a degree plan that will be most likely to end in a good paying job despite my federal felony conviction (drug related). Any suggestions? I live in Texas but do not plan to stay here forever. My hubby is at the end of his sentence and will soon go to HWH then on to supervised release. I still have approximately 14 months left myself. My PO seems to think I am eligible for occupational therapist license. Please... any feedback will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

I am in Texas too. I am a nurse. I'm not sure about the occupational therapist thing or not. Since you seem to be interested in healthcare, have you thought about chemical dependency counselling? You can apply for licensure after you have been clean and sober for (I think two years). I think they make you provide something indicating you have been involved in treatment or continue in relapse prevention, such as AA. You can look it up specifically on the department of health and human services site. If you have no college experience. It will take two years to obtain your associate's degree. Once this is completed, you apply through the state for license as an intern. This is your on the job experience, once you accumulate 4000 hours. You get your official license. There are a lot of paid internships too so look for them! Pay varies depending on location. You can expect something around 16-17$ per hour once fully licensed. Although Dallas and Houston have higher pay once you are experienced. I've seen $30/hr on some. Definitely think about the nonprofit sector as an option. They are less likely to have a problem with your record and with managed care systems limiting funds to other types of providers. They just don't have the funding to provide the care that is really needed. If your wondering why they would want to work with someone with a criminal record. It is based on the fact that those who have overcame may have unique knowledge that someone who has never been there-just can't understand. Although it may seem the conviction is a strike against you, now you have even more experience that can be applied to help someone else. As a counselor you can connect and build rapport with your patient that others cannot. Remember some of our deepest struggles can lead us to our most passionate missions.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Failures=Success???

Good podt RG's Girl and you are absolutley correct. While I was on probation for a drug charge, I had to complete different classes. All of the teachers I had were x cons and got licensed in Texas to counsel.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Somebody said the exploration company, turner hires ex-cons in LA. If that is true, they would probably hire a geologist for a lot of money.