Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts
Smile Rosetta Stone

Hola!

I have been thinking about trying Rosetta Stone.

I have taken some Spanish before, but, I really would like to become more adept/fluent.

The regular price on this is 500.00 but, I see some sets unused on e bay for less than 100.00.

So, one hundred for a hobby that might give you a new skill seems to be a bargain.

So, has anyone used it?

And if there are an Spanish speakers out there who could take a look at it and tell me what you think...that would help.

Also, if any Spanish speakers are willing to have phone conversations with me so I could practice...that would help too. PM me if you can help with that!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey NO touchy..No touchy!

I have the Mohawk Language one.
I really like it...from not knowing any words in Mohawk I can say quite a bit. It starts out basic, then gets more complicated. I found the pictures they showed when introducing a new word, sometimes you didn't understand what they wanted from you.
I say go for it , if you haven't already.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

I checked out the copies on e bay and they are a no go...they are pirated, and they say they stop in the middle of the lessons and fill the computer with viruses.

I will check out Mohawk, and also Language 101, and Tell Me More.....

i just have some spare time and would love to be able to place on my resumes that I have some fluency in Spanish.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,353 Posts

I have the german one but i payed the full price for it. I think it is important to keep the box because of the disc code being on a peice of paper not sure if where you buy it requires it to resale but you always have to be careful when you buy things like that. I love the german its a blast easy fun. I just feel like im playing a game. !
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey NO touchy..No touchy!

I also got a demo one...that has a sample of several popular languages and some I haven't heard of. My kids love it! and yes it is like a game!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 AM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I'm not very familiar with Rosetta Stone but I can tell you that there are any number of language-on-disk courses (many including both CDs and CD-ROMS) for far less than $500. Just as an example, my mother recently visited Italy. Less than three weeks before she was to depart, she decided that a phrase book wasn't going to cover it. So....she went to Half-Price Books, purchased two different Italian courses (one on CD, the other CD-ROM) for around $9, and in two weeks of casual study picked up enough Italian "to get by". She is by no means fluent, but....she got through a two-week trip without any misunderstandings.

For all I know, Rosetta Stone may well be the miracle its ads claim it to be. But if you are just getting into the idea of learning a language.....do you really want to spend $500 as a first step? Try the cheapest course you can find, whether it be on disk or through Community Education. And if you don't like the results but are still determined to learn....then it might be time to invest a bit more in a different resource.

Just by the by, I happen to have a 5 CD-ROM "Instant Immersion Spanish" course by Topics which purports to teach 12,000 words if you have the time. If you'd like it, PM me with a mailing address and I'll happily send it along. I have never used it--it was purchased about a year ago for a friend who decided not to pursue language studies and is now gathering dust. It will run on any Windows machine through XP--possibly others with tweaking. And if you don't care to share your address.....you can by the same course on eBay for $4.99.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
Fancy (07-07-2011), Jillian (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,593 Times in 2,182 Posts

I agree with dave on this as it is your first step into the learning process, what if that particular process doesn't work for you then you are out of 500 bucks. Check out www.studyspanish.com . This site is free and has grammar and tutorials.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I use "Drive-Time Spanish in my Semi truck. I don't have time to sit and study. It comes with a book if I can't pronounce what they are saying. They have other languages. If you want credit later in college, just learn the course and later take a test at a local college to challenge First or Second Year Spanish. You can do that for other classes too.