Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Hoping for a better future

I got caught up in a securities fraud situation
And will be serving 27 months in a camp

I have an mba degree and i talked to one prison consultant who told me that he has lots of clients who start their own business after getting out

I am not that type of a person, but I was hoping to hear if there are others out there that did white collar crimes who have a background in computers/IT

Just wanted to see if I would ever be able to work in a desk job ever again
It was a very stupid mistake I made

I am cooperating with the government now on the case and I will not be arraigned for over a year but I am just trying to see what opportunities there are whenever I get out

Also when I am arraigned and it becomes public knowledge
What advice would you people give me on this
Should I tell my current employer that I am now a convicted felon and the circumstances that happened, I am in atwill state so they can fire me right then, do I not tell them, take the chance of them not finding out until sentencing hearing so I can earn a few more paychecks
I am not sure on the process with the PSR
Will the PO call my employer anyway before sentencing and the employer will find out from them

Letís assume I am a good employee (only been with this employer for a few months though) my actions that got me involved in this crime I cannot use that as a future job reference; but in my current employer if I tell them upfront I donít know if I could come back to my position

I wonder does your supervisor have any say or is hiring a felon purely a human resource issue
The Following User Says Thank You to Remorseful900 For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 652 Posts

I can totally understand your situation. My son had a great IT job when he was arrested & took a plea deal. His bosses valued him so much that they wanted him to still work while he served his 6 months in a "camp"(with 10 years probation). Of course he couldn't do that but he felt sure he had a job upon release. Surprise! No, he didn't. They couldn't/ wouldn't take him back. He has had 15 job offers in a year with all being rescinded after his background comes up. He hasn't been able to get hired doing anything even trying temp agencies, small or large businesses. If they do a background check, they drop him like radioactive. He has been working at craigslist gigs & focus groups. His retirement is being used to support him right now. He jokes that he's taking his retirement now & will be working when he's really old enough to retire. He is now an advocate & share his story in hopes that it will help show the world that there are real people who just want a chance to start over & be productive.
There may be hope for you but it will take a special type of person/company. HR is the gatekeeper & they haven't gotten on board with fair hiring. There may be "ban the box" but the bias is still there alive & well. If HR puts up a roadblock then it's dead, even if the hiring manager really wants you.
I attended a criminal justice reform summit where Daniel Bull spoke. He is very easy to talk to & had a similar experience to yours. He actually got out from serving time & was hired back by someone that had been taken advantage of by him. He is now an advocate for giving second chances.
https://www.wesa.fm/post/business-id...-felons-felons
My advice is to start networking. If you have a church group or support system, have them work on your behalf to introduce you to people that might be willing to give you a chance. Don't expect to pick up where you left off. You'll have to earn your way back. If that means sweeping the floors of a company, be the best at it that you can. Let employers know that you need to prove that you are not just what a sheet of paper from a background company says you are.

Use your time away wisely. Don't get caught in self-pity or fall into the hopeless trap. Do everything you can to develop skills that are versatile & start reaching out to advocacy groups that might have contacts. Good luck & hang in there. Things are changing & we need more people to speak out to make a difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-18-2019), WeepingWillow (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,262 Posts

Hiring a felon is an HR thing. Companies have rules about criminal backgrounds and that seems to be all there is to it. My husband has had great interviews, only to be declined by HR after that background check comes in - and heís always honest about his past.

Heís never gone without a job, though. Heís just had to pound the pavement and sell himself to do things he doesnít normally do. Literally walk into places and sit there until someone comes to talk to him. Internet apps are an abyss since he has to disclose his criminal record before he gets to speak to someone.

Heís had to stay away from big corporations with strict background qualifications until heís further out from his conviction. Some companies that have really wanted him but couldnít hire him have taken him on through temp agencies with more loose restrictions (a lot of them only show 5 years back, so even though heís a repeat offender and on parole, it looks like heís only been in trouble once 5 years ago, and they give you a chance to explain.)