Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Work Release in BOP?

Im headed to Butner min security in NC in May. This is all new to me Im a 58 year old guy never been convicted of any crime never had any run in with the law before now. I have no experience with the US criminal justice system so I have lots of questions.

Question is this. Is there any work release programs available in the Federal system. I mean real work release where a guy can travel to and from regular employment outside of the prison.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,298 Times in 12,322 Posts

No such thing as federal work release, sorry. If you do get designated to a minimum security camp (FCI lows on up are real prisons) you may be able to work away from the camp, but it will be at a job assigned by the bop. Butner, NC has a federal medical center, (the bop's answer to a hospital), one camp, one FCI low, and 2 FCI medium security prisons.

Until you receive your self surrender letter, you won't know where you are headed, but if your judge "recommended" Butner camp, you have a better chance for the bop to actually send you there. The decision will be made by the bop designation office in Grand Prairie, TX.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Isn't it the case, that if you're under BOP supervision, but assigned to home confinement, you can get work release to a "real" job?
Old 03-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,298 Times in 12,322 Posts

Yes, most approvals for home confinement come from the half way house at the end of the bop prison sentence and one of the HC requirements is the resident must have completed the job requirement in order to be approved. You are correct that they are still in bop custody on HC and are able (required) to work at a job they obtained while at the HWH.

My answer was to the question of whether he can get his own outside job while he is still in a bop prison camp, which he can't. Some (definitely not most) camp inmates are assigned bop jobs outside of the prison. I was driven to the train station by one of them when I was released from prison on a furlough to the half way house. That doesn't meet my definition of "work release".
Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 PM

Thanked 1,487 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
Isn't it the case, that if you're under BOP supervision, but assigned to home confinement, you can get work release to a "real" job?
The guy said he's going to Butner, so he isn't going to be on home confinement and be eligible for a work release type of program at this point. No idea if Butner does anything like that, but unless he is a town driver, which you have to be at a prison for at least a year to be eligible, it's unlikely he will have any job off the facility.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,367 Posts

Check out the new benefits of the First Step Act, to familiarize yourself with the programs that will help you get home and on House Arrest (and work release) sooner. The programs' rules are being written now, but you want to take advantage of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-17-2019)