Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Kratom

Im freshly out of Federal Prison after almost 7 years. I have had one shoulder surgery, and am due to have another one. I have been on Percocet for sometime now, but am looking to get off of that because I have had problems with it in the past.
The question I have is what is this Kratom craze, as Ive heard so much good about it, and the many ailments it helps to treat? Does Federal Probation frown upon or test for this subastance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,991 Times in 7,474 Posts

The only thing I've heard about it is that people who have taken meds that affect neurotransmitters like serotonin and noreprinephrine for nerve pain (Lyrica, Neurtonin, Cymbalta) have had success using it as a way to ween off of them because the withdrawal can be brutal. It isn't an opium replacement so I'm not sure you'd have the same effect as something designed to dull acute surgical pain. There are non-opiate alternatives you can discuss with your doctor that focus more on inflammation if you're concerned about that. But given that kratom is still unregulated and being eyed as a future controlled substance, I'd be leery about jumping on the bandwagon only to find yourself needing off of it, too.

Good luck to you with your future surgery!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-16-2019), Lordbew/us (03-16-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM

Kratom can help with opioid withdrawal and with all chronic pain. However, the FDA has tagged war on it since they are not benefitting from it. There ARE companies who test it for impurities and who follow procedures to maintain the purity of the leaf and the safety of the consumers. As for it being teste for on probation, that I cant answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-28-2019), miamac (03-28-2019)