Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Interstate Compact questions specific to us

My girlfriend is on parole in Michigan. She's been out for 9 months and had 15 months left on paper.

What is realistic for her moving if we get married and she wants to move to where I live (which is not in Michigan)? I can't think of any impediments, I live in a reasonably nice house in a reasonably nice suburb, have never been arrested, have plenty of money to support her. She would probably quit work and start school.

Specific questions:
1) I assume it would not be sensible for her to even apply for Interstate Compact until we get married.
2) How long would it take start to finish? From what I've read it's 2-3 weeks to prepare the paperwork and then up to 45 days to get it approved.
3) Is there a point where it's so close to expiration of her parole that they wouldn't consider transfer?

We're squeezed a little by the virus and her desire to go to school (it's a one-year program and would be basically impossible to transfer in the middle).
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Donation Award 

I think it may come down to what kind of rapport she has with her parole officer. Has she been adhering to all the conditions of parole so far? Has she been respectful to her parole officer? Some POs want you to grovel and basically kiss their butt even when you are a model parolee.

The PO will have to process paperwork and will make it sound like you're making them overworked. Just bite your tongue and be respectful! As soon as possible, I would get the ball rolling. Ask the PO what the process is and constantly ask "What do you need from me?" or "What can I do to help ?" Let the PO know that you're willing to do what it takes and you know it's extra work for them.

Actually, most POs are willing to pawn you off on another jurisdiction if it reduces their workload. But they're all different and all have their own pet peeves! Start with the PO and take it one step at a time...
The Following User Says Thank You to ChloeMoe For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-06-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,013 Posts

It's also up to the receiving state to accept her. If she's been an ideal person under supervision with an established support system that makes it easier to get a yes from the new state. Being married might be better when she applies especially if you'll be her support when she is trying to get established. Having a plan in place to show them will also help. You mentioned her wanting to take a class so that shows planning for the future & stability.
My one concern is Covid. It might delay processing because it seems like it has slowed down everything. You both might reach out to the supervising agencies where you both are to see what the procedure is. She'll have to start it at her location but it might help you both to know what your location is looking for to say yes.
Good luck!
Old 12-12-2020, 11:39 PM

She has a clean record with regard to supervision. We do not plan to apply until we get married, and that will not be until the virus crisis recedes.
The Following User Says Thank You to redtop43 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-13-2020)