Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
BlessTheInmates's Avatar
BlessTheInmates BlessTheInmates is offline
Miss us?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default Thank you Gryphon!

Thank you soo much for the information Gryphon. It was really helpful and I have a better understanding of Credits now.

I'm still unsure of something though.

Does an 85% inmate (not a parole offense inmate) qualify for any time off their sentence at all? In some sort of program? What can they do to get time off their sentence? Good behavior? Volunteer for things?

I read someplace that if an inmate participates in school 6 months, they get 6 months off their sentence. Would this apply to 85% inmates? (not a parole offense)

Anything at all would be a win-win situation

Thank you so much!
Bless the Inmates
__________________
Quote:
Stop by to say Hi!
Don't Stretch the Mama!
member of the rubber band mama club
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
JLS JLS is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Susanville, CA
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 5
Thanked 331 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Inmates convicted of a violent felony (85%) must do 85% of the sentence. They get the 15% off for good behavior/good programming.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM
BlessTheInmates's Avatar
BlessTheInmates BlessTheInmates is offline
Miss us?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default

JLS,

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful.

I hope for some sort of flexibility in the future the 85% sentences. Progress is Progress and I think the inmates should have that opportunity.

Bless the Inmates
__________________
Quote:
Stop by to say Hi!
Don't Stretch the Mama!
member of the rubber band mama club
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 PM
RpMiller RpMiller is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rumor

I just joined this afternoon while looking for info on the rumor going around about the 85% reduction to 65% and I will be danged if I can find the place again where I had been reading that.

I am a relgious volunteer at Avenal in Calif and am trying my best to find some more info about this. Anybody have any suggestion on where is the best place to look for more info on this subject?

Thanks
Richard
Fresno, Ca
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
BlessTheInmates's Avatar
BlessTheInmates BlessTheInmates is offline
Miss us?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default

Welcome Richard,

You are doing such a fantastic thing for the inmates and familys. When I was visiting at the county facility, it was always a sweet time of the day to stop by the Chaplains on the way out.

I thought I had read that too somewhere. But sadly I've been informed they must do 85% on this thread. Please if you find any information on this, I would love if you could send me that direction to read up on it too.
__________________
Quote:
Stop by to say Hi!
Don't Stretch the Mama!
member of the rubber band mama club
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM
RpMiller RpMiller is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rumors

Yeah one think I have learned in life is there will NEVER be a shortage of rumors going around. That is why I am looking for where a person could go to nail down the actual "in writting" truth about what is, or is not, going one with it.

Thanks for your kind words BTM, I actually love doing the volunteer work out there. I have been at it for just at three years now and I look forward to the days I go out out. I have guys in three of the six yards so far and it is a real joy to go out and be part of their meetings.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

A reduction from 85% to 65% would presumably only happen as a way to reduce the prison population. However, 85% means that teh inmate has been convicted of a violaent crime. There hasn't been any legislative suggestion that conduct credits will be adjusted for non-violent convictions, so it makes little sense that there'd be any hope of reduction for those who are considered "the worst of the worst", those who have a demonstrated history of being physically dangerous.
Before 85% percent is changed there'd 1st be 3-strikes legislation regarding not applying to non-violent offenses.
I'd predict that credit changes to violent crimes whould be a last resort to reduce overcrowding, because these are the inmates that the public really wants locked up. (It was the fear of releasing previoously violent inmates convicted of non-violent crimes that killed the last effort, brought via voter proposition, to reform 3 strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RpMiller
I just joined this afternoon while looking for info on the rumor going around about the 85% reduction to 65% and I will be danged if I can find the place again where I had been reading that.

I am a relgious volunteer at Avenal in Calif and am trying my best to find some more info about this. Anybody have any suggestion on where is the best place to look for more info on this subject?

Thanks
Richard
Fresno, Ca
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
BlessTheInmates's Avatar
BlessTheInmates BlessTheInmates is offline
Miss us?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default

This angers me. How many inmates are in there with 1st offenses. Doing 85% at the risk of more time if they once again don't understand the consequences. How much paperwork and terms on paper in there is actually understandable to the inmates who are fresh out of High School? Teenagers. 18 19. So they go to school, work, enroll in all the programs to find out they aren't going to be released 1 day earlier.

Do they get any time credit reduction in the Reception Process?
__________________
Quote:
Stop by to say Hi!
Don't Stretch the Mama!
member of the rubber band mama club

Last edited by BlessTheInmates; 11-30-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
ambir skye ambir skye is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My brother is 80%, but he has two strikes, he went back in on a parole violation, they gave him 7 months flat. So is he eligable to do only 80% of the 7 months, or does he have to do the whole 7mos. He also mentioned to me that they have not given him an actual release date, and he has been on the mainline for 3 months now, my whole family is very curious when he gets to come home.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

Yes, inmates get conduct credit while in Reception. (A while back, that wasn't the case.)
I think most inmates actually do understand at the time of plea when they'll be getting out. The projected out date via plea bargain as compared to trial results is something that the attorney should have covered; and it's probably the most popular topic of coversation amongst in custody inmates.
However, you are exactly correct, young folks are unlikely to fully comprehend the consequences of their actions (if they did, they wouldn't be in that legal situation in the 1st place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessTheInmates
This angers me. How many inmates are in there with 1st offenses. Doing 85% at the risk of more time if they once again don't understand the consequences. How much paperwork and terms on paper in there is actually understandable to the inmates who are fresh out of High School? Teenagers. 18 19. So they go to school, work, enroll in all the programs to find out they aren't going to be released 1 day earlier.

Do they get any time credit reduction in the Reception Process?
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

It's likely that he'll get conduct credits while serving the violation; but that would have been decided when he recieved his sentence resulting from the violation hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambir skye
My brother is 80%, but he has two strikes, he went back in on a parole violation, they gave him 7 months flat. So is he eligable to do only 80% of the 7 months, or does he have to do the whole 7mos. He also mentioned to me that they have not given him an actual release date, and he has been on the mainline for 3 months now, my whole family is very curious when he gets to come home.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 AM
BlessTheInmates's Avatar
BlessTheInmates BlessTheInmates is offline
Miss us?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
Yes, inmates get conduct credit while in Reception. (A while back, that wasn't the case.)
I think most inmates actually do understand at the time of plea when they'll be getting out. The projected out date via plea bargain as compared to trial results is something that the attorney should have covered; and it's probably the most popular topic of coversation amongst in custody inmates.
However, you are exactly correct, young folks are unlikely to fully comprehend the consequences of their actions (if they did, they wouldn't be in that legal situation in the 1st place).
Thank you Gryphon, your reply is very appreciated. I'm really glad that the inmates get some time credit while in Reception. It's alot better than nothing at all. Have a terrific Week, whatever it may bring
__________________
Quote:
Stop by to say Hi!
Don't Stretch the Mama!
member of the rubber band mama club
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
momie20 momie20 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I Dont Understand!!!

I Need Help. My Boyfriend Just Went To His Parole Hearing Yesterday And They Gave Him 11 Months For Violating Parole. Hes Been In The County Jail Since 7-10-07 Are They Going To Take Him To State? And Will He Do The Whole 7 Months Remaining? We Have A Baby Due On 2-25-08 And We Have A Two Year Old.. I Need To Know What To Expect On The Comming Months.. Please Help Me. When Do You Think He Will Probally Be Released?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

He likely recieved half time on the violation; and that would have been decided when he was sentenced on the violation . That means he likely will do a total of 5 1/2 actual months in custody, and he has around 5 months in already.
If he was sentenced to "straight" time, that means he'll do all 11 months.
This all assumes that there isn't an additional problem, like an additional sentence to prison or misdemeanors that used some of the credit he earned. Those sorts of things could have the effect of extending the sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
mrsK mrsK is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi
my niece was sent to danbury nov 22, for 18 months. her release date on bop.gov is 03/10/2009. i received an email from her saying she will be home next christmas. is that what her early release date would be????
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

Danbury is Federal Prison. You posted in the CA forum.
The one thing every inmate seems to understand is their out date, so you can likely take your niece's word for that.

I'm not certain if the web page lists maximum release dates (which is likely), so you might want to post in the Federal forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsK
hi
my niece was sent to danbury nov 22, for 18 months. her release date on bop.gov is 03/10/2009. i received an email from her saying she will be home next christmas. is that what her early release date would be????
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
meeganv's Avatar
meeganv meeganv is offline
i carry your heart
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in his heart
Posts: 1,607
Thanks: 155
Thanked 571 Times in 252 Posts
Default

My fiance is a VO serving 85%. First offense. His original charge was aiding and abetting, which wasn't considered a VO since he never raised a hand to anyone - but also didn't stop anything. Unfortunately he was still facing the possibility of life with a&a so his PO got him a plea for manslaughter with 20 years.

Also, oddly...he was charged with a hate crime, something that doesn't make sense under the circumstances. The victims were 2 white heterosexual men, the offenders were all while hetero men...they knew each other a little, and it was basically "just" a drunken fight with terrible consequences. This sentiment was even stated by one of the victims himself.

He's served 7, has 10 to go until his ERD.

Does anyone know if there is any point in hiring a lawyer to try and get the VO removed from his record, since the original charge didn't carry it and this is his first offense? Or is this pretty much a moot point since the sentence has been determined and he took a plea? Just curious, I'm guessing the odds are pretty high.

Thanks! I have found that there are people here who are a wealth of knowledge, and I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out...
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Judeca's Avatar
Judeca Judeca is offline
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,257
Thanks: 3,396
Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeganv
My fiance is a VO serving 85%. First offense. His original charge was aiding and abetting, which wasn't considered a VO since he never raised a hand to anyone - but also didn't stop anything. Unfortunately he was still facing the possibility of life with a&a so his PO got him a plea for manslaughter with 20 years.

Also, oddly...he was charged with a hate crime, something that doesn't make sense under the circumstances. The victims were 2 white heterosexual men, the offenders were all while hetero men...they knew each other a little, and it was basically "just" a drunken fight with terrible consequences. This sentiment was even stated by one of the victims himself.

He's served 7, has 10 to go until his ERD.

Does anyone know if there is any point in hiring a lawyer to try and get the VO removed from his record, since the original charge didn't carry it and this is his first offense? Or is this pretty much a moot point since the sentence has been determined and he took a plea? Just curious, I'm guessing the odds are pretty high.

Thanks! I have found that there are people here who are a wealth of knowledge, and I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out...
The only thing I know is if he took the plea - no matter what, he admitted guilt in the eye of the court. And it would take a ton of money and the best lawyers to TRY to remove it.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
G.Leyva's Avatar
G.Leyva G.Leyva is offline
HizLv
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Forever in his heart
Posts: 2,038
Thanks: 659
Thanked 356 Times in 333 Posts
Red face Need some help here plz

I am trying to figure out if my guys out date is right. My guy says they gave him an out date of 11/24/2008. Now I tried to figure it out but hey I suck at math so can someone please help me. here is the info that i have.

1 he got locked up 10/17/2006 and he was given 60 days credits in county.
2. he was sentence 11/20/2006 to 32 months
3. His charges are HS 11377 (a)FEL and PC 148 (a) (1) MIS oh and VOP
4. he was not given a strike (but has had 1 in the past)
5. He got to DVI 12/4/2006 they where on lock down the whole time there. He got to Susanville 12/27/2006 where then he was mainlined and was working.
6.There has not been any loss of Credits at CDCR and he was not able to go to fire camp I think its because hes had a violent charge in the past.


OK that's all the info I got so far. if anyone can help me to see if the out date is right I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by G.Leyva; 12-20-2007 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Gryphon Gryphon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA Sacramento
Posts: 6,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default

PM reply sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Leyva
I am trying to figure out if my guys out date is right. My guy says they gave him an out date of 11/24/2008. Now I tried to figure it out but hey I suck at math so can someone please help me. here is the info that i have.

1 he got locked up 10/17/2006 and he was given 60 days credits in county.
2. he was sentence 11/20/2006 to 32 months
3. His charges are HS 11377 (a)FEL and PC 148 (a) (1) MIS oh and VOP
4. he was not given a strike (but has had 1 in the past)
5. He got to DVI 12/4/2006 they where on lock down the whole time there. He got to Susanville 12/27/2006 where then he was mainlined and was working.
6.There has not been any loss of Credits at CDCR and he was not able to go to fire camp I think its because hes had a violent charge in the past.


OK that's all the info I got so far. if anyone can help me to see if the out date is right I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 12-29-2007, 04:22 PM
B'sMom9's Avatar
B'sMom9 B'sMom9 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phelan CA
Posts: 88
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Question help with release date

What do you need to help me calculate my sons release date? He was arrested june 1, 2007
arrived in reception november 27,2007
he is serving 9 years
what is it with 85%
and 65%
his info says 156 days credit
is two days off

for every one day of service 65%? If not can you calculate for it?
thanks
__________________
Each day is one day closer to home, taking it one day at a time...




------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is life so hard
One son in Prison
Husband committed for life



Last edited by B'sMom9; 12-29-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
JLS JLS is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Susanville, CA
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 5
Thanked 331 Times in 152 Posts
Default

If he is serving 85%, his release date will be around Sept,18, 2014. I do not understand your question about the 65%. If he was sentenced to 85%, there is no further reduction in time allowed. Two days off for every day served is only for inmates serving time in fire camp that are otherwisw eligible for 50% credit reduction.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
B'sMom9's Avatar
B'sMom9 B'sMom9 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phelan CA
Posts: 88
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you

I just was thinking what would it have been if he was eligable. Just something I was wondering about. Thank you for the estimated release date. Thats the one I should only be concerned about. You have a good day and thanks for being part of the PTO and supporting us. I didn't know fire camp was eligable for 50%. My son wanted to get training there for hopefully a job when he is released, but we don't think he is eligable to participate. again thank you for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS
If he is serving 85%, his release date will be around Sept,18, 2014. I do not understand your question about the 65%. If he was sentenced to 85%, there is no further reduction in time allowed. Two days off for every day served is only for inmates serving time in fire camp that are otherwisw eligible for 50% credit reduction.
__________________
Each day is one day closer to home, taking it one day at a time...




------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is life so hard
One son in Prison
Husband committed for life


Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
TRISTE13 TRISTE13 is offline
~TRISTE"S WIFE FOREVER~
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

JLS can u help me caculate my husbands out date , i have his abstract of judgment. okay total term imposed 20yrs 4months date of sentence 01-07-99, credit 251, actual local time219, local conduct credits 32 . with 85% but they told him he got 30yrs with 2 stricks with 85% can you help me figure this out please.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
MissingHimTons MissingHimTons is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm sorry I didn't look through all of the posts in here so I'm not sure if this questin has been answered already. I visited my husband in jail today, and it's been one week since he went in. Everyone keeps talking about this 'new rule' or whatever one may call it stating something along the lines of: if one is eligible for half-time, due to overcrowding, they may be looking towards serving 35% of their sentence, instead of 50%. I tried researching it and only found one other source. But they were inquiring about it too. So I have no firm answer and researching it actually brought me to this amazing website. So in short, is it possible to serve 35% of one's sentence instead of 50%? Or is it just another one of those "rumors floating around".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prison Labor - Against Made in the USA MsChiku Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events 4 01-28-2012 02:06 PM
Working out in Prison - Free weights and inmates David World Prison News 47 10-03-2011 09:52 AM
sentence reduction trueblue101 Prison & Criminal Legal Help! 18 12-13-2007 05:31 PM
A Reorganization Plan for Corrections Kathy California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes 9 08-17-2004 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics