Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Donation Award 

Default Who checks up on the Parole Board?

I am not sure in each state to what authority does the parole board report to? It seems that with minimum sentencing it should make parole appearances and guidelines more transparent or at least understandable. It seems that an inmate has no clear understanding of the rehabilatative process and what is considerd corrected bahavior.

Maybe, I just don't have enough information to have a real intelligent discussion on this, but I would love to know both statiscs on parole board appearances, rejection rates vs. release rate, and basis of decision, other than canned phrased such as "nature of the crime".
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Together we are strong

Rywill thats a good question. I was wondering when an inmate is sentanced they are given at that time guidelines that they tell the inmate to expect to complete 20 - 36 months of a 3- 9 year sentance ( this is just an example) and when these guidelines aren't adhered to ( they aren't granted parole) and no new offense has been committed why is this allowed? Does anyone have any understanding of this?

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
~ Les Brown

In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.
~ John Churton Collins

I do not understand the mystery of grace--only that it meets us where we are, but does not leave us where it found us.
~ Anne LaMott

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. ~ Nido Qubein
A smile is a light in the window of the soul indicating that the heart is home. ~ Anonymous
Old 02-24-2005, 09:29 PM

This is a very good question IMO....Here I believe its supposed to be the Board of Corrections. I believe they are appointed by the Gov and they oversee both the Department of Corrections and the Parole Commission.

The problem is they dont IMO hold the Parole Commission accountable for the decesions that are made. It seems that the Parole Commission can grant or deney inmates with no criteria.

Its my opinion that the Board of Correction should establish some sort of criteria and make the Parole Commissioners follow it.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 AM

Peace....Good question. As I am sure you know, the Gov. of NYS appoints the commisioners and those commissioners supports his political philosophy. In the recent newsletter produced by The Coalition for Parole Restoration information re., parole hearings and decisions were noted. One is once again reminded that parole in NYS is a joke. Seemingly it does what is wants to do and in some cases the immate is tried again. Who does it answer to....do not know. I will ask my Beloved if there is a body that hold it accountable. Also, the appeals support the decisions that the parole board makes...so you can not win for trying. I questioned what is said to immates, who paroles are rejected, when the immates have done all that is expected of them. Again, I will ask my Beloved. Blessings...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 PM
rest in peace MrsD. . . .

well I used this number to call and see why my fiance wasn't staffed yet- nor has heard from the parole comission...his revocation falls under the old law. anyway a really cool guy named Mike told me they have to wait for the *computations* and referred me to the records division at Dode correctional. I called the number listed in the phone book and asked for the records division and was treated to the absolute most condescending 2 minute conversation ever.

after the rather chilling "and just who are you to him?" came from her oriface- I patiently explained that I was "only his fiance, as I have been unable to marry him due to the fact he has been in jail since 8-29-04 and his po wouldn't consider our marriage until he was in prison....and he hasn't been staffed, which is why I am calling "
the woman has stated rather wryly- there is nothing we can do "we are understaffed" which was her favorite theme. said that all cases and revocations were behind 2-4 months, but usually the new cases were pushed thru first. I think she meant the new ones that fall under the new law, truth in sentencing. no other regional offices were offered to call. I am calling her back tomorrow find out who her supervisor is.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:58 AM

BillieJo,
Just wondering if you ever did call back and get any more information. I don't deal with Wisconsin prisons (I wish I did) because my husband is in Alabama (I posted to you about this in another thread regarding needing a trade out). I know in Alabama the Parole Board's decision is autonomous and they don't even GIVE a reason for denial. Not even a bogus one like "time served" or "nature of the crime". Seems there should be a way to appeal their decision. Does a Wisconsin inmate get to be at the hearing and speak for themselves? Alabama does not allow it. How stupid.

Anyhow I just wanted to encourage you to follow through if you haven't. Sounds to me like you are a woman of bravado and pitbull determination. Your man is lucky indeed to have you on his side.

Care
Old 03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Donation Award 

Care9 when I read your post that made me even angier because it makes me wonder how they even decide who gets relaeased and when. It's almost like they do an "any minnie miny moe" things and who ever it end up on gets tha favorable decision. Then again maybe they say "do over" because it is fiscally beneficial to deny more that week or month.

We actually filed an appeal on first parole appearnance denial, and much to our expectation the decision to uphold the appeal was sent on the 119th day. Which then just makes me wonder, if it was in a rejection pile being held for an administrative personnel to type the letter.

When we prepared for his initial parole appearance, I remember talking to his counselor. So I ask the question on what are the determingin factors in the boards decision. And one of the things that sticks out most was he mentioned community opinion. So you can go infrotn of the board possibly in one county and have a different influence than another.

Maybe we don't speak out enough either pubilcally or through our voting that gives us a real voice in the handling of these parole boards.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 AM

rywill,
If my last post made you angry, you sure would not want to hear more about our latest experience with the Alabama Parole Board. It was beyond belief and I am still reeling from it. I was treated disrespectfully and cut off from the "five minutes" I was allowed to speak on behalf of my husband. Yet the victims were allowed as much time as they needed in spite of the fact that it would take an IDIOT to consider the things they were saying. I do not suggest that it may have felt like truth to THEM but after 27 years, I felt it was clearly obvious that their perceptions had been exaggerated. And now they have set off the next hearing for five years from now. Five years! Oh man, I best leave this conversation alone!! Anyhow, I don't think that there is enough public voice nor voting that is ever going to change the power that has been given to these people. How I wish that I could believe it could happen, for then I would work for reform. But I don't. I used to but I've experienced too much, read too much and see too much that proves otherwise.

Care