Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Post Incarceration Syndrome

Have anyone here dealt with this... PICS...Its a big concern for J who will be released Tues. I know that he has changed for the better in that he doesn't want to back to his old ways and his old friends, but I'm really afraid of the inmate mentality that he will bring home. Does he need to be debriefed? How long will it take for him to feel safe? He's only been incarcerated for 9 months but it seems like thats long enough. He became upset when I told him I can't wait to have my boy home again and he almost yelled at me, "I'm no ones boy and don't ever call me your boy again" I'm really concerned and appreciate some feedback from those of you who have their kids home
Thanks
FreeJordan...soon to be JordanFree!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freejordan For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-03-2011), bluebella (07-03-2011), DisneyFan (05-03-2018), jimmie'smom (07-04-2011), mandymoo (07-03-2011), moondoggie1 (07-03-2011), mrsrimoldi (07-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,737 Times in 964 Posts

Hi!
Somewhere, on one of the forums on this site, is a 'sticky' thread that is about PICS. I looked and looked for it, because I was going to direct you to it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Congrats on your son coming home soon, but I understand what you're saying. I know there are many people on here that can answer that question better than I can, but I have spent a little time with offenders recently released. Most of the people I've met, were in much longer than 9 months. Having said that, my son spent about 10 months in county jails last year, got out for a few months, and went to prison. He was most definitely different, but it was sort of a nuanced difference, and faded as each month went by. The thing I noticed the most, was that he talked 'tougher' than he had, and would say things that were just a little outside the social norm. I do think 'fresh out' is a dangerous time. My son went right back in, because he assisted in another crime. It was petty, and he may have done it regardless, but somehow I think the culture impacts your moral boundries. Earlier today I was reading an article that says people that stay out for 7 years, are no more likely to be rearrested than someone who has never been arrested at all. Sooo...I guess time makes the difference.

I've done a little reentry work. But the people I've worked with have spent many years behind bars. The people I've talked with-especially if they were young when they went in-confused me at first. The very first guy I met, was well-dressed, well-spoken, very social, smart, and seemed almost to perfect. We thought he would be our first major reentry success story, but within a few weeks he was back in prison. What I get now, is we were seeing the personality he used for the guards, and parole board. I still think he was a good guy. He just didn't realize he wasn't in prison anymore, and we were to naive to 'get it'.
I do remember when my son first got home from county jail, he couldn't sleep. I think that is normal too. It took him about three nights to actually sleep, and he told me he woke up every morning for several weeks thinking he was still in jail. It was VERY hard for him when, a few months later, he realized he was going back in. I know you can't watch your son constantly, but safeguard him for me when you can. I cannot even describe the pain my son experienced when he had to go back in. And, as we all know, it's no picnic for us either! Good luck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moondoggie1 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-03-2011), bluebella (07-03-2011), do97jdl (04-22-2018), JadensMom127 (05-15-2018), mandymoo (07-03-2011), mates001 (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Thanked 5,448 Times in 1,495 Posts

Delt with son in 9 months and he was not used to having the oportunity to make decisions. He did really well until he had surgery and started using after that. He seemed to need alot of down time. Really did well to stick to a routine and stay away from old places and people who used and were using. That was all lost after the surgery and drugs used for that. I hear a half way house is a great stepping stone, because it is closer to an instution type feel. Congratulations on your son getting out soon!!!
1bird2 (07-03-2011), mandymoo (07-03-2011), mates001 (07-03-2011), moondoggie1 (07-03-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm so excited but scared at the same time. J was only an 18 yr old smart-ass kid going in and in so not that kid anymore. And he's only in for 9 months. I just don't know how you moms and dads do it when your children are sentenced to long bids. 9 months about did me in!! I kepp telling him he can feel safe here and he doesn't need to watch his back. I can only imagine how exhausting that must be. At least I'm on vacation all week so we can all spend time and readjust back to life with Jordan home.
FreeJordan...soon to be JordanFree
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freejordan For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (04-22-2018), mandymoo (07-04-2011), moondoggie1 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,365 Times in 3,005 Posts

link to PICS information

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=431975

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
freejordan (07-04-2011), mandymoo (07-04-2011), moondoggie1 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,200 Times in 551 Posts

How has he changed for the better when he was rude and disrespectful to you for no reason?

I doubt he has PICS

More likely, he did what he needed to do to get out and is back to cocky attitude that got him in trouble in the first place syndrome.

Don't put up with any crap from him.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,961 Times in 6,338 Posts

my son was in for two yrs...twice. each time when he got out he did tend to be edgy and it took a while for him to reconnect. but he has been out this time for over two yrs. he has friends, is social, works, and while I have had some tense times with him he knows I will not accept any crap whatsoever.

your son truly is no boy. treat him like a man. expect him to take care of himself. you will provide the roof and food and he needs to get a job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
mandymoo (07-04-2011), moondoggie1 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanked 5,448 Times in 1,495 Posts

Quote:
J who will be released Tues.
J was only an 18 yr old smart-ass kid going in
Not out yet ladies
moondoggie1 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBooBoo View Post
How has he changed for the better when he was rude and disrespectful to you for no reason?

I doubt he has PICS

More likely, he did what he needed to do to get out and is back to cocky attitude that got him in trouble in the first place syndrome.

Don't put up with any crap from him.
He's not home yet...he got upset when I called him my boy...just concerned about what to expect when he comes home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freejordan For This Useful Post:
mandymoo (07-04-2011), moondoggie1 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
waitingformydaughter

Thanked 3,887 Times in 1,398 Posts

My daughter has been home for almost a year now.7/26/10.We went through parole, and now she is starting the 3 years probation.If she chooses to mess up she could go back for 6 years.She still has not been hired for a job.She was working up until she gave her 2 week notice as she knew her sentence would involve being incarcerated.During that time she had keys to open and close the store,the safe combination to make change and make the nightly deposits.Nothing but good employment evauluations.She was even "captain" of "team friendly" for the store.Last week she had her first interview out of over at least 60 job applications.The 2 managers loved her and the experience she has.Of course the desicion must go to corporate as they wanted to hire her right then.Maybe their positive remarks will help.I'm really praying.I don't mean to sound down but just because they come home the problems they have created with that "felony" charge are hard.I wish your son the best and brightess future!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM

My son has been out for almost 3 mos now after serving a 5 yr sentence. I asked him about your son's reaction and his comment was: 'the phrase 'my boy' is a common phrase used by inmates who think they 'own' a person.' My son's suggestion is to call him 'my son' instead. My son was also constantly reminded by the DOC that 'your ours now and you'll follow our rules!' Even now facing 10 yr probation, he has to follow their rules.

I know those first days for me it was trial and error. I bombarded him with questions: ' what do you want to eat, where do you want to go.' I was overwhelming him with my questions and he finally asked me to 'just let me absorb and look around and enjoy this freedom.' I took a giant step back and waited for him to ask.

I will keep you and your son in my prayers as you both adjust to this once again 'new normal'.

Peace!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmie'smom For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (04-22-2018), mandymoo (07-04-2011), moondoggie1 (07-04-2011), SeekingJoy (05-13-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts
Default Any reference materials

I have been going in circles in PT trying to find any links to reference materials or suggested books. Some of the moms in group I belong to whose sons were released in the past year have been dealing with or being treated for PTSD. From what I have seen that differs from PICS.

Since this thread is a few years old, I was wondering if someone might have current info you can provide to these moms and in anticipation of 13 months to go read for myself before my son comes home.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,366 Times in 10,934 Posts

Newer research suggests that PICS is a sub-class of PTSD, with sensory deprivation, alienation and a few other differences. None-the-less, they are treated pretty much the same. Right now, the Armed Services are treating with both drugs and EMDR. You can check the research papers in the NIMH.
fbopnomore (04-29-2018), lizlizzie2 (05-06-2018), SeekingJoy (05-13-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts
Default post incarceration syndrome explained

I came across a plan English explanation of what to expect as to symptoms and behavior for post incarceration symptom. I am inserting in case some one else is looking for information now or in the future.
http://afterincarceration.blogspot.c...rome-pics.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2018), SeekingJoy (05-13-2018)