Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Riker's Island Jail - New York
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riker's Island Jail - New York Topics & Discussions relating to Riker's Island Jail.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Looking for Info on Jail in NY

Looking for a load of info and advice so hopefully this is the place to come.

I was in New York previously and got arrested for assault. I didnt go back to court and went home and they issued a warrant that I want to take care of for my own reasons now. I have spoken to my lawyer here and there has been contact with the people over there. What it looks like is that I go back voluntarily and surrender and will go to court. As part of the deal I will plead guilty and get a fine and 30 days jail.

* What I want to find out is that if this is the deal before the judge am I certain that I wont end up getting a longer sentence?

I also have a few other questions that people over there may know the answer to:
They say it may be a couple of days before they take me to court would these days count against the sentence?

* I want to give a good impression to the judge on the day will I be able to wear a suit and I presume I wont be handcuffed or anything like that in court?

* Ive seen a lot of stuff about how bad jail is over there. Im an average white 23 year old not being racist but am I likely to be with mainly non-whites. I know Ive probably been watching too many movies and heard about gangs and that but it does freak me out.

* Am I likely to be treated differently being Irish?

* Any idea where Id likely go charge is assault and I would be going back to court in Manhattan. I know I can check info on the different jails on here?

*In general what are things like in jails in New York. Im thinking about thinks like how long you are actually locked up, how many you share with, do you have to wear uniform, do you have to do any work, what are you allowed take in (MP3, CDs, radio etc.), can you smoke and so on.

I know something like this is nothing compared to other situations some people here are coping with but I would appreciate any info or advice anybody has.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default first of all before you go through all this

I assume you have lawyer. If not, you need one to assure your deal is honored and to find any way to shorten your time. I assume you are talking about NY City. Some of the ladies there will have to chime in-I do not know if you will go to Rikers or the Detention Center-not my turf inNY-but someone here can help I am sure.

As for what you can take in, the answer is nothing. You need to find out about commissary-a place where you can buy stuff in the jail. And then get someone or do it yourself before you surrender-get some money on account. Do not know about smoking at Rikers or the Detention Center. Someone will.

As for the other issues. the advice is always the same, stay to your self, be quiet and repectful but not weak. If you have someone over here, get them to send you some reading material if it is allowed. I sort of think being Irish will be a bit of a curiosity to most-so I think that will be ok-my one question would be if they would put you somewhere different because you are not US Citizen-don't know the answer to that one-but another reason you need a lawyer-do you know they won't deport you right back after the 30 days? I am just asking-don't know anything.
I wish you the best.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Donation Award 

Default my son wrote this for someone else going to jail

it is about the State system which you won't be in-but a lot of the advice applies.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175217

"Pay it forward."
Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann
I assume you have lawyer. If not, you need one to assure your deal is honored and to find any way to shorten your time. I assume you are talking about NY City. Some of the ladies there will have to chime in-I do not know if you will go to Rikers or the Detention Center-not my turf inNY-but someone here can help I am sure.

As for what you can take in, the answer is nothing. You need to find out about commissary-a place where you can buy stuff in the jail. And then get someone or do it yourself before you surrender-get some money on account. Do not know about smoking at Rikers or the Detention Center. Someone will.

As for the other issues. the advice is always the same, stay to your self, be quiet and repectful but not weak. If you have someone over here, get them to send you some reading material if it is allowed. I sort of think being Irish will be a bit of a curiosity to most-so I think that will be ok-my one question would be if they would put you somewhere different because you are not US Citizen-don't know the answer to that one-but another reason you need a lawyer-do you know they won't deport you right back after the 30 days? I am just asking-don't know anything.
I wish you the best.
Thanks for the info - do appreciate it.

Yeah I have a lawyer taht my own solicitor here is dealing with. The point of all this is that I do want to get things cleared up because I do want to be able to go back in the future. We lived in the US for a while when I was growing up so as it is they wouldn't deport me automatically once the case is taken care of. As I said I'm hoping to get 30 days but they are talking about longer at the moment.

I've heard of Rikers before and mainly for bad reasons - is that where most people go. This is a Class A Misdemeanor charge - I thought that Rikers was one of the toughest places?

If that's where I'm sent - do you normally get a cell on your own or do you have to share - would prefer to be on my own if possible. Less stuff to worry about. Does anybody know how long you actually spent locked up each day or out of your cell?

Dissapointed that you can't really bring anything in to pass the time.

Thanks for the link also - gives me an idea anyway. Pleased to read what he said about the dropping soap not being true - think that is the ultimate nightmare. I'm really worried about actually going in and knowing what to do / how to act and how to stay out of trouble.

Momma Ann,
Thanks for answering and the PMs too. Hope things are going OK with your son.

Last edited by MM23; 11-06-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Donation Award 

Default maybe if it is a misdeamor

you won't g oin at all-they might suspend the sentence if the rest fo your record is good. Make sure you get some recommendations from folks over there to bring with you-on a misdeamor I bet they would carry some weight.

"Pay it forward."
Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,845 Times in 11,079 Posts

Take a deep breath! Rikers is well-known, but most of all for being the largest prison we have. It's been calmed down over the last few years.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 PM

No I'm told I'll definitely get jail time - the only thing i strying to keep it as short as possible. At one stage they were talking about more serious charges but that's OK now. I also have the stuff about not turning up for court.

I heard back that it probably would be Rikers as somebody said - that was freaking me out but what you said is better news. Any info. on there would be good.

In New York city do you actually do the full sentence on a short sentence or is there good time - I think it's called.

Any info at all would be good.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Donation Award 

Default hard to say on 30 days

hard to say-we are mostly dealing with the longer sentences-maybe someone will know.

"Pay it forward."
Old 03-17-2007, 09:31 AM

I dont understand this god damn system, for a class A misdeameanor they want you to do 30 days? Thats crazy!!!!! Im not trying to get your hopes up or anythying but i highly doubt you will do anytime for that charge,, why cant they give you probation or community service? As for Rikers Island Its not as bad as you might think it is .. Yes The majority of inmates on Rikers Island is Black/Hispanic. When i was in Rikers i was in OBCC it was like a dorm ... One big room with like 50 cells and 1 officer...
I was very nervous when i went to Rikers I am 21 Years old 5"9 165 Lbs..
IM not a BIG guy but i didnt bother anyone and no one botheres me.. The best advice i can give you is... One hand washes the other! Make Friends!! If you just got dinner and you dont want your Bread for example offer it to someone that you might think would appreciate it .. Im not saying be a pus*y and give all your food away. But remember its better to have friends then enemies ,, GOOD Luck i wish you all the best... PM ME if you need anything
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM
LOVE U DADDY ALWAY!

On a 30 day sentence you might not do the whole sentence there should good time on that.....PEACE

As far as rikers goes it's not that bad.

Hold fast to dreams,

for if dreams die,

life is a broken winged
bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Well I have a degree in criminal justice from here in NY, so I can help u out a little ( I think,lol, I hope)....1st off IF you are to serve 30 days and you are waiting in jail a couple of days before going in front of the judge, YES those days DO count towards your time served...so say, for ex., you were in jail 5 days before seeing the judge,, and when you go before him he gives you 30 days, you'd actually only have to do 25 b/c you've already done 5.
As for your charges of Assault....in NYC this depends....their law is as follows. Assault in the 3rd degree is a misdemeanor which is the least serious of the 3. Misdemenor's are often plea bargained down to community service, in-house arrest (at home monitoring device), or probation. However, Assault in the 2nd and 1st degree's are considered felonies and these can carry with them state prison sentences. Again, however, it all depends on if this is your first time in the trouble with the law, etc.
Like Momma Ann stated earlier, I'm guessing you'd be doing your time, if you did serve time, in Riker's Island (in Queen's). Jail is not was the movies make it out to be, but what YOU make it out to be. Keep your nose outta other ppl's business and just concentrate on bettering yourself while you're in there and you'll be fine! That's even IF you do time! God Bless and good luck!