Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts
Arrow Clarification regarding direct billing accounts and offender debit accounts

Lynda Cobler, Coordinator, OTS of TDCJ offers this clarification regarding direct billing accounts and offender debit/pre-paid debit accounts.

When Friend/Family registers through the Embarq Enrollment Center (866-806-7804 or www.texasprisonphone.com) CBS automatically establishes a "Direct Bill" account. This account has a $65.00 credit limit and will be sent to your billing address on a monthly basis. Calls will not be billed on your local phone bill.
*Because you only have a $65.00 credit limit, it is strongly suggested that you pay the bill as soon as it comes in to avoid hitting the credit limit and having your number blocked.

When the offender registered his voice biometrics CBS automatically established an "Offender Debit" or "Offender Prepaid Debit" account (same account, different names). This account can be funded by anyone. Friends/Family can either send money to CBS to fund this account or they can add additional money to the way they currently fund his/her commissary account.
*Very soon offenders will be able to go to the commissary and purchase phone time. Currently, this feature is only available at the Luther Unit, BUT it will be available system wide in a very short period of time.

As another option, Friends/Family can establish a prepaid account in their name. As long as you pay your CBS bill on time there's no need to do this, but you can if you want to.

PRICING -
Calls to a TEXAS #:
Friends/Family pay (Direct bill or Prepaid) $0.26 per minute.
Offender pay (Offender Debit) $0.23 per minute.

Calls to a # outside Texas:
Friends/Family pay (Direct bill or Prepaid) $0.43 per minute.
Offender pay (Offender Debit) $0.39 per minute.

Lynda Cobler
Coordinator, OTS
TDCJ

Thank you, Lynda, for helping us accurately understand the process. We appreciate the information!!!
Karen

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to karen For This Useful Post:
angelbaby21 (08-18-2009), a_coleman (07-28-2009), bearpie514 (07-23-2016), bemynetoo (08-27-2009), daddysbabydoll (08-18-2009), DustysGirl (10-05-2009), JusChillen (03-11-2010), mala11 (03-17-2011), puppychow (08-09-2013), purplerose212 (07-28-2009), RlovesJ (08-29-2009), so sad (03-21-2012), TXGURL (08-26-2009), wandamaloy (05-18-2013), ygrose (07-28-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Confused

I dont get it, I thought we were not getting a bill. I was under the impression that if he had money on his books that we would not have to worry about another bill. His parents registered also and i assured them we would not be getting a bill. please help!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
~Married 1.15.10..Muahhz~

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkaty View Post
I dont get it, I thought we were not getting a bill. I was under the impression that if he had money on his books that we would not have to worry about another bill. His parents registered also and i assured them we would not be getting a bill. please help!
To my understanding, if the option to buy minutes off of commisiary is not available at the unit, and you havent set up a prepaid account...you WILL get a separate bill with the phone charges on them. If im mistaken forgive me, but from what I know this is how it works
wandamaloy (05-20-2013)
Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtswifey View Post
To my understanding, if the option to buy minutes off of commisiary is not available at the unit, and you havent set up a prepaid account...you WILL get a separate bill with the phone charges on them. If im mistaken forgive me, but from what I know this is how it works
how do we set up a prepaid account? it does not say that in the brochure we got at the unit. I know though that i dont want to get a bill!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
One day at a time

do u know when u get the bill and how you know when to pay it cause i moved and what if they send it to my old address and i dont get it. do we always just pay the 65 bucks and we are good to go for the next 120 minutes????

He comes home Sep. 4, 2009
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Lovin Life!

So if i just wait for my billing from CBS how much is the price rate per minute?? Please help me out on this... I'm trying to understand this... Thanks!

Missing our baby Kaylee... You will never be forgotten baby girl! :-) RIP Baby 1-20-11
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Love will get us threw it

The calls are supposed to be something like .26 per minute, so for 120 minutes your bill is only going to be about $32 for a month. Everyone has a limit of $65. You can call CBS and tell them you want to register your account online so that way you can look at it and keep an eye on it and you will be able to see how many calls you have and the charges for them. We have ours registered and it is very convenient. You can also make your payments online when you get your bill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purplerose212 For This Useful Post:
auprd (08-18-2009), Dillon's Wife (08-18-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM

I was wondering if anyone can help me Please. If so please PM me. My phone has been approved thru Friends and Family and my account was set up with CBS. My husband called all last month and some this month. But now when he goes to go and use the phone he gets a message on his end sayin the phone number does not exist. But he is dialing the right number. He is really upset and when I call CBS it tells me the last time you loved one attempted to call you was on _______ date at ____ time. But the calls are not coming thru to my phone and he is getting the message on his end. What do I do now? Please help.
Julesinpr (05-24-2015)
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
JOHNNY'S ANGEL

Angry

From my online reading we will be charged $2.49 a month for the statement to be mailed to us with additonal $1.99 in taxes. Does anyone know if this is applied each month even for months that we may not receive a phone call?That's almost $54.00 a year....
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
JOHNNY'S ANGEL

[url]https://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/general/Payonline.aspx[url]

Payment Options

Correctional Billing Services (CBS) offers variety of payment options to fit your needs.

Pre-paid

Our pre-paid plan puts you in control of your spending. There are no restrictions as long as funds are available in your account. Sign up for the pre-paid plan with a minimum payment of $50.00. Please note transaction fees may apply. You may use the following payment methods:

1. Visa

2. Master Card

3. Checking account

Our automated system can notify you and let you know when you need to make additional payments to prevent any restrictions from receiving calls. Payments can be made through our IVR, through our website and you can even mail your check in to our billing office.

You may mail checks to:

PO Box 650757
Dallas, TX 75265-0757

* If your payment is mailed, it may take 7 to 10 business days to process. To ensure timely processing of your payment, please include your ten digit telephone number as well as your account number on the memo line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Union

You may also make your payments to our pre-paid and direct bill payments options through Western Union. Payments can easily be made online through a Western Union® Quick Collect® payment.

Note: It may take 5-8 business hours for the payment to process and be posted.

Instructions on Using Quick Collect®

The Receiver of the Quick Collect payment can be found under Select Other Billers and should be
T-Netix - CollectCall.

Please follow the online prompts to complete the payment.

If you are not a registered user at Western Union® you will be asked to register.

Instructions on Using Western Union Payment Form

In the Payment Information section you will be asked for Pay To, Code City and State.

Pay To should be TNetix

Code City should be CollectCall

State should be TX

Please include your 6 or 7 digit account number. If you are unsure of your account number please visit www.correctionalbillingservices.com or call us at 1-800-844-6591.

To find a Western Union® Agent location near you click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Direct Bill

Our direct billing plan is another option. With a credit check, you can receive an invoice for your calls just like your telephone company. Please contact us to sign up.

Local Telephone Payments

We do have billing arrangements with some local phone companies. With this option, you have a 90 day spending limit and are subject to more rigorous controls. Payments must be made to your local telephone company. How does billing work with my local phone company? We assign each customer a 90 day rolling spending limit, which is the credit limit assigned to your CBS account that is billed through your local phone company. Each time a call is accepted, the charges are deducted from your available spending limit. Your spending limit works on a 90 day rolling basis. As the first billed call reaches the 91st day, it will deduct from the total amount billed. If you reach or exceed your spending limit, we have other options available. You may switch your account to prepaid, direct bill, or depending on your local carrier, you may be able to make an advance payment directly to CBS for unbilled calls. If your spending limit is reached, your account will be blocked from accepting additional calls.

Bill Statement Fee: A monthly Bill Statement Fee of up to $2.49 may be applied to your local telephone bill if your calls from correctional facilities are billed through your local telephone company. This fee will be charged in addition to the costs of individual calls as well as any government taxes or fees.

You can avoid this fee by establishing a prepaid account with Correctional Billing Services (CBS), whereby you will no longer receive any charges on your local telephone bill. With a pre-paid plan, you may establish an account for a minimum payment of $50.00, which prevents your line from being restricted as long as there are available funds in your account. Our automated system can notify you when an additional payment is needed to prevent your line from being restricted.

© 2008 Correctional Billing Services
A Division of Evercom Systems, Inc. & T-Netix, Inc.

Last edited by lin88jon; 08-20-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 PM

what are the ways to get a prepaid debit account for the offender>??
Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Lovin Life!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin88jon View Post
[url]https://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/general/Payonline.aspx[url]

Payment Options

Correctional Billing Services (CBS) offers variety of payment options to fit your needs.

Pre-paid

Our pre-paid plan puts you in control of your spending. There are no restrictions as long as funds are available in your account. Sign up for the pre-paid plan with a minimum payment of $50.00. Please note transaction fees may apply. You may use the following payment methods:

1. Visa

2. Master Card

3. Checking account

Our automated system can notify you and let you know when you need to make additional payments to prevent any restrictions from receiving calls. Payments can be made through our IVR, through our website and you can even mail your check in to our billing office.

You may mail checks to:

PO Box 650757
Dallas, TX 75265-0757

* If your payment is mailed, it may take 7 to 10 business days to process. To ensure timely processing of your payment, please include your ten digit telephone number as well as your account number on the memo line.

Western Union

You may also make your payments to our pre-paid and direct bill payments options through Western Union. Payments can easily be made online through a Western Union® Quick Collect® payment.

Note: It may take 5-8 business hours for the payment to process and be posted.

Instructions on Using Quick Collect®

The Receiver of the Quick Collect payment can be found under Select Other Billers and should be
T-Netix - CollectCall.

Please follow the online prompts to complete the payment.

If you are not a registered user at Western Union® you will be asked to register.

Instructions on Using Western Union Payment Form

In the Payment Information section you will be asked for Pay To, Code City and State.

Pay To should be TNetix

Code City should be CollectCall

State should be TX

Please include your 6 or 7 digit account number. If you are unsure of your account number please visit www.correctionalbillingservices.com or call us at 1-800-844-6591.

To find a Western Union® Agent location near you click here.

Direct Bill

Our direct billing plan is another option. With a credit check, you can receive an invoice for your calls just like your telephone company. Please contact us to sign up.

Local Telephone Payments

We do have billing arrangements with some local phone companies. With this option, you have a 90 day spending limit and are subject to more rigorous controls. Payments must be made to your local telephone company. How does billing work with my local phone company? We assign each customer a 90 day rolling spending limit, which is the credit limit assigned to your CBS account that is billed through your local phone company. Each time a call is accepted, the charges are deducted from your available spending limit. Your spending limit works on a 90 day rolling basis. As the first billed call reaches the 91st day, it will deduct from the total amount billed. If you reach or exceed your spending limit, we have other options available. You may switch your account to prepaid, direct bill, or depending on your local carrier, you may be able to make an advance payment directly to CBS for unbilled calls. If your spending limit is reached, your account will be blocked from accepting additional calls.

Bill Statement Fee: A monthly Bill Statement Fee of up to $2.49 may be applied to your local telephone bill if your calls from correctional facilities are billed through your local telephone company. This fee will be charged in addition to the costs of individual calls as well as any government taxes or fees.

You can avoid this fee by establishing a prepaid account with Correctional Billing Services (CBS), whereby you will no longer receive any charges on your local telephone bill. With a pre-paid plan, you may establish an account for a minimum payment of $50.00, which prevents your line from being restricted as long as there are available funds in your account. Our automated system can notify you when an additional payment is needed to prevent your line from being restricted.

© 2008 Correctional Billing Services
A Division of Evercom Systems, Inc. & T-Netix, Inc.

Okay the statement in RED confused me?? i am going to get charged $3 from my phone company? When i talked to a representative from CBS he told me that I would not get any other charges extra. He said I would get my bill from CBS in the mail and I asked him twice to make sure and he said I wouldn't get billed extra... so this statement in RED just confused me.... ughhh. This is such a mess... LOL. Can anyone please clarify this for me?? I would greatly appreciate it!

Missing our baby Kaylee... You will never be forgotten baby girl! :-) RIP Baby 1-20-11
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 AM

The way I read it if you get a direct bill from CBS there are no additional charges. If you choose to be billed through your phone company is where the other charges come in. I don't know if I will pass the credit check for direct billing, so as much as I hate to lay out $50, I think pre-paid is the way to go. hopefully his butt will go to work soon and pay on his end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bemynetoo For This Useful Post:
angelbaby21 (08-27-2009)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Lovin Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemynetoo View Post
The way I read it if you get a direct bill from CBS there are no additional charges. If you choose to be billed through your phone company is where the other charges come in. I don't know if I will pass the credit check for direct billing, so as much as I hate to lay out $50, I think pre-paid is the way to go. hopefully his butt will go to work soon and pay on his end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohh ok i get it now... Thanks so much for shedding some light. It seems this whole phone system has everyone gong nuts and wondering how it works. I guess i'll find out on my first bill. I am also going to have to set-up a prepaid account just in case laters... But again thank you!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM

acctualy i have my love one here and now when i enter to see mi info online i have a 85 dollar spending limit, which is greate but i do not work to much based that he only have 120 min for 1 month, but this allow me not to exided anyting, salute
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Default CBS accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysgirl View Post
The calls are supposed to be something like .26 per minute, so for 120 minutes your bill is only going to be about $32 for a month. Everyone has a limit of $65. You can call CBS and tell them you want to register your account online so that way you can look at it and keep an eye on it and you will be able to see how many calls you have and the charges for them. We have ours registered and it is very convenient. You can also make your payments online when you get your bill.
How do you register your account online? I have registered online and by phone, but haven't received anything saying it was approved.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM
My heart is in TEXAS
Donation Award 

I'm so confused right now............
Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

How are you suppose to know if your phone number is approved???/

Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Love will get us threw it

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy2 View Post
How are you suppose to know if your phone number is approved???/
I am not sure but I think you are talking about registering your number so that your loved one can make calls. If that is the case you need to call Friends and Family or go to their website and email them to find out if your number has been approved if you have already registered it. Once it is approved they automatically set you up with a direct bill account with CBS, which is the company that will bill you for the calls. Once you know your number is approved you can call CBS and make sure they have you set up and you can ask about online registration so that you can see your account info on line. I hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtswifey View Post

If he buys minutes at commissary and pays through "offender debit" - you will NOT receive a bill. For debit, he pays for the call and you just have to accept the call (not the charges).
Old 10-18-2009, 02:21 PM

I set up a prepaid account with my v connect, they have a website and a phone number if that helps anyone. For me I put money in that account and check often how much is in there. It costs about $3.26 per 15 minute phone call. It wont let you answer if there are not enough funds in the account. Also I'm waiting for my boo to tell me how to get the prepaid inmate phone call card which allows him to call family and friends. I'll post how I did that when I figure it out. This is all new to me and confusing so hopefully I'll help somebody with this info. This is what I'm using for Dallas County.

Last edited by missubabe; 10-18-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: I don't know if this phone service is only for county jails
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM
FOREVER 100,FOREVER TRUE
Donation Award 

From what I have found, if you are approved to receive phone calls, you will receive an automatic phone call advising you that you have been approved. Then you go to CBS to register your information.

It is what it is...........
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,032 Posts

When my phone was 'approved' I didn't have to do anything to set up the account through CBS ... it was done for me as part of the approval process. That's how I ended up with TWO CBS accounts.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Default 2 texas jails

Ok, sorry if this is already covered but I so damn confused..my son is in Holliday Unit..Huntsville..no problem setting up phone service there..correctional billing services..billed to my home phone
This is where I'm confused..husband in State Jail..I had to register with Embarq then they said they had to send info to correctional billing services and that I would get a seperate bill?? I just don't want to get double billed..
Old 11-24-2009, 07:23 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,032 Posts

They will set up two separate accounts. You need to call CBS and transfer one credit balance to the other. They'r enot real bright. Verify that they've put both your son and husband on the same CBS account.
The Following User Says Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
chris59newyork (11-24-2009)