Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Asking outside people to research other inmates

This happens all the time.

It seems like nobody should even think about doing it if they want to get along with the people they can't get away from.

So is this one of the "never do it" things in inmate etiquette?

What (if anything!) can an inmate do if somebody's outside friend Googles him and it turns out he's a sex offender or former law enforcement officer? How does the answer change depending on the security level where he's staying?

Does the inmate just ride it out, try to explain, what?

Bernard Kerik didn't report having any trouble in minimum security having been a cop and a warden, but that was a special case. He kept having inmates come up and thank him for his leadership on 9/11 in fact.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,868 Times in 750 Posts

There's not much you can do, other than try to spin your story to minimize the nature of your history.

For the vast majority of prisoners in there, having others know "what you're in for" is no big deal -- rather, it's something to wear as a "badge of honor" and brag about even, as so many convicts do. So it's only really a problem in cases where you don't have a "solid" crime (like sex offender) or some other circumstance (like ex-cop or informant) where you'd rather others not know.

Keep in mind that prisoners have nothing but time on their hands in there. And they love to gossip. Anything to create drama and try to make things less dull or more exciting in there, as sadistic as the motivations may be.

Practicing good etiquette and keeping a low profile helps to not become the brunt of conversation. But if one ever is and has something to hide, all they can do is try to craft a clever cover story (fake rap) and hope it's convincing enough for others not to want to dig much further. Or at least admit what their actual conviction is for (so they are being honest about that at least, since others can so easily check), but try to downplay it or explain it away somehow to make it not seem so bad. I've seen both strategies work, and allow people to still walk the line in GP without having to PC up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-06-2017), Minor activist (09-05-2017), nimuay (09-06-2017), Scott (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

What (if anything!) can an inmate do if somebody's outside friend Googles him and it turns out he's a sex offender or former law enforcement officer? How does the answer change depending on the security level where he's staying?

Does the inmate just ride it out, try to explain, what?

Bernard Kerik didn't report having any trouble in minimum security having been a cop and a warden, but that was a special case. He kept having inmates come up and thank him for his leadership on 9/11 in fact.
Nickle Timer was totally on point with his response. And the only thing I would add is that it really depends on the PERSON not the prison or the situation. I've known numerous cops in prison, as well as sex-offenders by the score, who simply did fine - they didn't go into the gory details of what they did. Some folks may not have liked them, and maybe they weren't welcome at every table in the chow hall, but it they comported themselves with respect - they were almost always left alone.

If someone has a super high-profile crime there may be issues, but for the run of the mill person - folks will get bored and just leave them alone. The trouble comes when some of these folks try to compensate somehow and portray themselves as "bad-asses", which pretty much never works.

Now that almost every State has their inmate population "online", it's easier than ever to look someone up. I saw a Dateline episode last night and looked up the guy who was "featured" in the Florida database just because I wanted to see what looked like now, and where he was housed.
fbopnomore (09-06-2017), Minor activist (09-06-2017), Nickel Timer (09-06-2017), nimuay (09-06-2017), xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,860 Posts

I agree this could cause problems for such an inmate but frankly when my husband asked me to look up someone I did. He never asked to use any information I found for any evil purposes. I did this for him once and the guy was happy as he ended up appealing his sentence and winning. So not all inmates use this information for bad things.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Thanked 1,198 Times in 778 Posts

I do this for my husband several times a week. Only because there are certain people he would rather not be friendly with. He doesn't do anything to these people but he does not associate with them.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,507 Posts

Dee frequently asked me to look up info when she got a new cell mate, particularly if they were not forthcoming about what they were locked up for. In cases where the crime was a child crime she wanted to know circumstances because being cell'd up with someone who was in for that could potentially put her in danger if other inmates decided they wanted to "take matters into their own hands." The result was usually that she would get moved out of the cell to another cell.

Despite her problems, Dee earned a reputation as a non-violent caretaker so there were also times when she would be deliberately housed with certain inmates because there wasn't enough to warrant PC but staff had concerns. There was a stretch of about a year where most of her bunk mates were pregnant. Once they delivered, they were moved out of the cell and the next one moved in. I actually liked this because officers bothered Dee a lot less when she had these bunkies and it also put her in a position to avoid drug use (since her cell mates were not using.)

I will say....she definitely got housed with some interesting ones, including a couple who's crimes made for some interesting press (one was known as the "Granny Bandit"....I actually received a letter from her one time saying Dee was always talking about me, how she worried about Dee but felt that as long as I was in her life she would be okay....very nurturing for a 60 year old woman who robbed people at knife point in parking lots.....) and one bunk mate, for lack of a better way of putting it, was the criminal reincarnation of Lorena Bobbit.

Different inmates have their reasons for wanting information. Some do mean harm. Some just want to be able to watch their own back.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (09-06-2017), Tiffmm24 (09-06-2017), xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM

You know, this forum is probably the only place in the world I could get this many informed thoughtful answers. Thank you to everyone.
fbopnomore (09-06-2017), missingdee (09-06-2017), Tiffmm24 (09-06-2017), xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:37 PM

I have never been asked but I am a curious cat....or nosy Rosie . There are just some people during visitation that catch my eye and I am curious as to why they are there. If I can get a good look at their name tag and happen to remember the name, I will look them up out of curiosity and then move on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
missingdee (09-06-2017), xolady (09-07-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,244 Posts

I wouldn't believe a word out of Kerik's mouth.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,824 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
I do this for my husband several times a week. Only because there are certain people he would rather not be friendly with. He doesn't do anything to these people but he does not associate with them.

Same here, he wants to know about new guys in his dorm....
Old 09-10-2017, 06:55 AM

Thanked 1,198 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
Same here, he wants to know about new guys in his dorm....
Mine to. He wants to know all their charges because you never know who to believe. For instance a new guy came a week ago. He told them what seemed like an elaborate story about what he did. Mind you this guy is 19. And received 20 years. No One believed him until I looked him up. Yikes. Was all true. Because you never know who or what your dealing with.

The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
I wouldn't believe a word out of Kerik's mouth.
I believe Scott, though, and he knew more than one ex-cop who got along OK on the inside.