Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Default Acting morally after release

A murderer writes about the effects of his choices and wonders what "paying his debt to society" adds up to. He thinks he should continue paying after he's free.

https://thecrimereport.org/2017/08/2...t-behind-bars/

Quote:
My change of heart was prompted when a member of the parole board asked me during my hearing, “If you could say anything to the son of the man that you killed, what would you tell him?”
The question shook me.
I doubt that I will ever forget the feelings of self-loathing and grief that flooded me as I answered the question.
He's looking into something a free world inspirational author advocates, which is taking regular practical actions for the good of all, be it as simple as donating blood.

Quote:
It is true that making amends to the victims of violent crimes is—all too often—impossible to achieve. Still, there are countless ways in which we can try to improve the communities where we caused so much pain and suffering.
Last year at Stafford Creek Corrections Center, Matthew Emerzian, the founder of a California-based not-for-profit group called Every Monday Matters, illuminated ways that people can make positive changes in their community. He has carried his message of achieving positive change by setting goals every Monday of the year (“52 Mondays”) across the country to get citizens involved in his cause.