Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Thumbs down Correspondence Courses

My friend has about 10 yrs to go and is talking about getting some education under his belt - actually do something with his time. He's at CHCF in Stockton, CA. I think he needs to do his GED as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Does he have money for tuition?

What's he interested in studying?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,269 Times in 6,965 Posts

Yeah, getting a GED is a good idea if he's interested in advanced education. This goes to anything he could learn correspondence as the GED demonstrates general poficiency in reading, writing, arithmetic, etc. this foundation is necessary if he's doing anything from divinity school to a bachelors in history to a certificate in arc welding. There's assumed to be a basis of education for all of these cases and that basis is the GED pass level. Yes, it's boring, frustrating, and intimidating, but it is the basic level of education to go on to just about anything, especially from correspondence.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 AM

My LO is taking several correspondence courses that our family is paying for. That's the easiest way that will give him the most choices. If he lacks funds he may be able to get assistance from a charity or church. Have him talk to the education coordinator and the chaplain to see if there are any options available for him. The books alone can be several hundred dollars but the inmates often pass them on or trade them to others when they are done. My LO's teacher encourages this and helps arrange it. That would at least cut down on the expense.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Next question: is this to prepare for employment and further study, or is it to stretch his mind and keep it occupied constructively?

These folks are not accredited. That means no university will accept the work you do with them towards getting a degree. On the other hand a day you learn something is never wasted. They have the advantage of being free.

Quote:
College Guild is not affiliated with any religious or political group. Our courses are designed to be both thought provoking and fun while encouraging objectivity and creativity. They relieve the boredom of prison life with an opportunity to spend time constructively. For many inmates, our courses are the only contact they have beyond the prison walls.
collegeguild.org

Bard College and Ohio University cost money but are accredited and have long experience teaching through prison mailrooms.

Financial aid outside of the limited second chance Pell grants is incredibly hard to get. I find broken links and abandoned web pages all over when I look. Here's one example: https://weirdscholarships.net/tag/jeremy-gordon/, which links to a Charles Colson scholarship for religious studies and to a defense lawyer's page that hasn't been updated for years.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,010 Times in 5,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post
My friend has about 10 yrs to go and is talking about getting some education under his belt - actually do something with his time. He's at CHCF in Stockton, CA. I think he needs to do his GED as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
The education coordinator at CHCF should be his first line of questioning, particularly for the GED. While it's sometimes a push to get into a class/test, they do have them and they proctor GED exams that will earn credit toward early release.

With the recent change in education, vocation and peer support credit earnings, it would be a shame for your friend not to take advantage of that. But going outside of CDCR's approved programs (and there are many) would short him that opportunity.

Ask him what information he has obtained in-facility before looking (and paying) for out of facility programs.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
yourself (08-11-2017)