Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
waiting for him

Post To Parents of Alcoholics/ Addicts

"Parents do not cause their children to become alcoholics - or drug addicts.
Alcoholism / addiction is not caused by environmental factors. It is a physiological, genetic allergy - a hereditary predisposition involving brain chemistry. There is now ample scientific proof, research data, to support the premise that made Alcoholics Anonymous the first successful approach to dealing with alcoholism. Alcoholism is a disease." "Someone does not become an alcoholic / addict because they were raised in a dysfunctional family. Alcoholism is not caused by emotional wounds. It also has nothing to do with will power or strength of character or morality. It does not have anything to do with intelligence.
Read more : http://joy2meu.com/alcoholism_disease.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 PM

Eternal Hope,
Thanks for posting this. Robert Burney is one of my favorites, but his site is one disorganized mess. Ahhh....a genius at work.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 PM

I think the up bringing of a child has some fault to do with a person turning to alcohol or drugs . It is very important to give love and have loving family values at the home. I come from an alcoholic background 2 out of 6 of us are very heavy alcoholics following after my fathers footsteps. Thank God my children have been broken off from that curse.! Take care!

Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Closed

Thank you so much for posting this. My bf has a serious drinking problem and acknowledges it once in a while. He's so depressed most of the time because he thinks its a character flaw. He refuses to go to any groups.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
waiting for him

Shelby: lol, I agree his site is a bit disorganized LOL...but he is a fave of mine too!

hitulily: I am sorry for your situation!!! My father was a hard working man but a weekend alcoholic...his mother died of alcohol poisoning when I was little...my brother became addicted to Xanax....and I of course was the peacemaker in the family...the one who loved too much(?)( codependency) Just remember its not "always" the parents fault!

Hearts&Minds: you are so welcome. I pray your bf finds the desire to go to some group for help!!! After years, my father finally admitted he needed help and went to rehab on his own... sending a little prayer your way for positive things with you and your bf !!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 AM

i m agree from this point that by love and affection parents can get rid of child addiction.