Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Questions about a family member on probation

My sister is moving in with me and i need to know as much as posible for probation in hinds county ms from someone who actually knows not just google i have my reasons for not wantin law enforcement in my home im already against it but she is saying its not what im hearin from everyone else i dont want my name run or my house searched im confident they will have to can someone give me a walkthrough?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,681 Times in 1,293 Posts

Welcome to prison talk!

Is it supervised or unsupervised probation? Generally they will have to visit the house and confirm that the person lives there at the very least.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:59 PM

She has to pay dues to them, i can tolerate a proof residence visit but dont want the rest i can handle them knocking on the door and her answering and showing them HER room that time but i dont want them to be able to walk in at any time and search or anything and dont want names run or anything
Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,342 Times in 940 Posts

Be advised that besides her room, any common areas will be subject to search as well if probation ever gets the wild hair to investigate the premises... this may or may not include local police tagging along for the "inspection."

I certainly wouldn't be allowing government agents inside my residence if I had anything to hide... might be better to wait until she's completely off probation before putting a target on your residence like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018), xolady (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 PM

She is moving from another state i toldd her i had to talk to them first she is being pushy and showin up some time tonight, what about my bed room or the rooms of the others living there i know police cant go into a locked room without a warrent but her being in probatikn may be a clause in that
Old 02-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Donation Award 

No, generally speaking, they can't go inside any private rooms that she doesn't have direct control over, at least not without a warrant. Just her private room, any shared bathroom, and any other common areas like living room and kitchen. Anything "suspicious" laying in plain view could become an issue though... like if someone else's bedroom door was left open and they saw something.

Just be aware that even if she is on unsupervised probation and doesn't have to report to a probation officer, if they ever suspect her of anything (and you'd be surprised how easy it is to pop up on their radar when you are on probation) they could make an unannounced visit at any time.

How much longer is she on probation for?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018), sidewalker (02-10-2018), xolady (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 PM

She just got started
About a month ago on 2 years
I can arannge to make sure doors are closed and or locked
Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Donation Award 

Okay then, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Just make sure everyone else in the house is aware of her status, that the premises could be subject to search at any time, so they don't leave themselves open to any possible exposure.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM

What else can they do? Do the run names and search for warrents ?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Donation Award 

That's certainly a possibility... although I'd think they would mainly be concerned about whoever owns the house, whose names are on the mortgage/lease. Other people just staying or renting rooms there? Not so much...

I don't know about PO patrol cars, but in many jurisdictions police cruisers have license plate scanners that automatically run any license plate in the immediate vicinity. So if anyone else staying at that house has a hot plate turn up with an outstanding warrant, that could trigger some additional scrutiny...
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018), xolady (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 AM

We probably dont have that they arent as advanced here and would probably have to run hem manually but the people that stay with me dont have cars i rent the house and hubby who has a record 's names on the lease
Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 AM
Donation Award 

Is this misdemeanor probation we're talking about or felony probation?

One other thing to be aware of is that it is usually boilerplate language in most probation agreements that felons aren't to associate with other felons, at least while they are under supervision.

I wouldn't think they'd be such sticklers about misdemeanant offenders, but it could be an issue of whether they will allow her to transfer her probation to that residence at all, depending on the severity of your hubby's record.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:36 AM

Misdemeanor she was chared in another state for a bad check she claims she didnt write or cash they supposidly have video evidence that it isnt her but foghting it where she was wasnt doing any good so she took a plea deal and was coming back home to try to fight it here feeling like the system would be more fair about the judgment since she obviously isnt the one on camra they used her stolen id to cash the check ..... now.... how true this is.... i havent seen the video and was always taught you dont admit guilt unless you did it
Old 02-09-2018, 01:37 AM

She also claims after her probation it will be whiped from her record it will show the arrest record but nothing else
Old 02-09-2018, 01:47 AM
Donation Award 

Well, if she'll just be on unsupervised misdemeanor probation, that would be far less risky than if she were on supervised felony probation with an actual officer she reports to.

In which case, you may not even get visited by any agents at all.

She may not even have to notify them that she is moving or give them your address, if that is the case.

If she can just manage to stay out of trouble for the next couple years, she should never be violated, and finish her term without bother.

Talk to her about it, and see what the actual terms of her probation are -- that way you can make a more informed decision as to whether you want to take any associated risk or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:54 AM

She has to pay a fee and report to an officer
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 AM

She wont even give me a number to call them to ask questions thats why i came to you guys to learn more ive never had to deal with the system like this before and wanna know what im getting into
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 AM
Donation Award 

Okay, so she is being supervised. And probably will have to notify them of the change of address.

One thing in your favor, I would think, is that misdemeanant caseloads are usually far bigger than felon caseloads, so probably less chance of an actual house visit, unless she was ever suspected of involvement in another crime or something.

Just be careful about ever possibly lying to the Probation Officer if you do get visited though, because that could get you into hot water later if they find out... like if they ever ask you if anyone else with a criminal record resides in the house or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiss View Post
She wont even give me a number to call them to ask questions thats why i came to you guys to learn more ive never had to deal with the system like this before and wanna know what im getting into
Now see, that would be a huge red flag to me.

If I were you, I'd definitely want to at least contact her PO and find out what the exact her terms of her probation are, from the horse's mouth, before you allow her to "transfer her flag" there, so to speak.

The fact that she is being secretive about it doesn't bode well for what you might be getting yourself into here...
fbopnomore (02-09-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 AM

No plans on any lieing (not in me really far to easy to be honest)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:08 AM

She keeps sayin she has called them and they wont ander the phone i just eanted to talk to them to see what im geting into
Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 AM
Donation Award 

She could at least give you the name of the agency that is supervising her -- may very well be a private outfit, with the way they are privatizing especially misdemeanor probation services these days in many states.

That way you could at least contact the main (general info) number to answer any specific concerns you might have.

I've only ever been on supervised felony probation myself, all my misdemeanor probationary stints were unsupervised, and that was quite a few years ago now, so I'm afraid I can't be of much more help here.

You could try asking in the Mississippi forums if anyone else has had direct experience with misdemeanor probation, but most of us here are used to dealing with felony-related issues, so her situation is a bit unique.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,122 Times in 10,783 Posts

I can understand why you want to ask your questions to her probation officer, but not why she isn't being supportive. Ask her if you can go to her next meeting with her PO, but clear it with them too.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Parole Officer

Don't let her move in. It's obvious it's not going to work.

Since she's transferring states, it doesn't matter if it was a misdemeanor or not. She'll most likely be supervised as though it was a felony. Locked interior doors could cause problems. While they may not search your room, they'll probably want to be able to walk through the entire house, at least at first. Search warrants aren't needed in most cases.

Call your local DOC office and ask an officer.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanked 4,771 Times in 2,524 Posts

Transfering probation is depends on receiving state accepting her, and from my experience I had to go with the person to probation and tell them it was ok for the person to live with me, I never had a home check on mis. probation.