Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Asthma,and not let him do Firecamp

Let me explain briefly when my man got locked up last time, I was having severe asthma related problems. was in thhospital 2 or 3 times and actually died. And so when he got locked up for s short stent he knew he could get albuterol in tere for free and he would bring it out for me. Well now he is going to be locked up for 3 years and is trying to go to firecamp he is in Jamestown right now actually. To make a long story longer they are now telling him that he cant get into firecamp cause his medical record indicate that he has asthma. And he does not!!

My question to you is is there a test they can give him or anything while n there that will prove he does nto have it. they told him there was no tests that could be done while he is in. nd I am thinking there has to be soething that can be done. he never even got checked by a nurse before the only reson why they said he has it is cause he was trying to help me out by getting me the medication I could not afford on the outs!!

If you have any suggestions or answers both him and I would really appreciate it I will pass th einfo along to him and see if there is soething that can be done to clear his name so that he can got o firecamp. He is dying to go and I feel awful cause if it was not for me he would not be having these problems right now!!

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter

Pita McNasty
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2005, 08:09 AM

C'mon doesn't someone anyone know about this usuall all you guys are good with responding. Someone has to know about waht can be done or how we can prove he does not have it. Please someone help me with this.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 AM

I have been thinking but I cant come up with anything. Most docs just diagnos asthma if you complain of shortness of breath and are having some wheezing. They dont do must investigating maybe occassionally a chest xray--depending on your age.

Does this camp mean he will be home sooner? Girl I dont know---can he say he hasnt had any attacks in x amount of time? Albuterol inhalers arent that much money wise, but it looks like it may cost him alot in the long run. I will keep thinking but so far I cant come up with anything.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 AM

Pita,
I just called the pharmacy and an albuterol inhaler is $17! Girl---ok ok I no that you have learned and I am not here to judge. Hopefully there is something to help him

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:22 AM
waiting for my heart

pita, girl I am so sorry about this. yes abuterol is only $17 but when you don't have enough to eat then $17 is unreachable. I don't know how he could prove anything and if he did it would be smuggling. no win here unfortunately. Maybe he could see the Dr. and tell them it was just something in the area he was at and that he hasn't had an attack. I understand why you guys did it, but I am not sure if he will ever be able to go to fire camp. There is serious liability with sending someone with asthma
to a fire camp. sorry girly no good news here.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM

well just to let you know i never asked him to get me the inhaler he was just trying to do it out of a sweet jester for me. I actually had other medications but we were dirt a** broke and was living out of our car at the time. Plus also with prescribed medications you hvae to go tot he doctor and I could not go to a doctor they would know i was loaded he didnt want me to so he just got it for me in there. See this was 2 years ago and we were both loaded so going to the doctors at that time was simply out of the question for either one of us. And not only that but i had no insurance cause back then of course i could not hold a job. Girl, we wre just both completely lost. no of course i have ia job that provides me with insurance so i am set up that has all come with time i have know been clean and sober for 9 months now and my life is nothing like it used to be back then. And i do feel realy shi*** for that being the reason he cant get in he does not blame me but he really wanted to go and i feel like me having asthma and not being able to take care of myself has royally screwed up everything for him in there. that is why i was hoping there is soem tests or soemthing they could do to straightem it all up. or do you think that he could tell him what happened with me. although they probobly wont give a sh&%. I dont know I just cant believe there is nothing that can be done about it

Last edited by Ronnie; 03-13-2005 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Forum Leader edited due to profanity used.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 AM

I am sorry I just read my post and I was not trying to sound like a brat which I realized I do. I just wanted to let you know why he did that and why it turned out that way. Sorry one day at a time I was not trying to sound ungrateful I appreciate everyones posts I reeally do.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 PM

I agree with Raven about it was something brief or in the air. Pita-I understand, you didnt offend me at all.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Here in NJ they can put in a slip to see the doctor and I would imagine he could explain that he has never had asthma and needs to be examined and have his record updated. I know they did this with my husband because when they sent him to CRAF (central reception in NJ) they removed the "bi-polar" diagnosis they put on him in county because he spoke up about it, etc. I don't know where you are, but he should be able to see a doctor/someone who can straighten this out. Can you call the facility and reach the health dept.? You could explain this to them (without the part about him taking the inhaler) and see what can be done. Just tell them there is misinformation in his file and he is not asthmatic.

Oh, and I don't know why anyone here felt the need to throw up to you about a $17 inhaler. That was downright mean.

He chose to do it because he *loved* you and wanted you to be ok. Even in the midst of the madness he wanted to try and help you. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it and please don't feel guilty.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,417 Times in 588 Posts

My son is in Susanville for firecamp training, just last week they told him he had a heart condition? HE DOES NOT! anyway, he called me wednesday and he got it cleared up and he passed the physical.. I will ask him tomorrow when he calls what he had to do to clear it up.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Pita,

My husband is in fire camp and they have to do a physical on them before they can keep going with the training. He can also ask to go to the doctor and have a check up or he can come clean and tell them what really happened. But maybe like you said they would not give a sh** . But to be honest with you I think he is going to have clean with them cuz they will not put him out in a fire if they think he may get sick. But if he does not want to come clean he is just going to have to tough it out in Jamestown or as for a transfer down here south. That way he will be closer to home just like fire camp would have put him closer to home. If he is doing 80% of the time he would still do the 80% of the time but closer to home. I hope and pray that all goes well from my understanding they really need guys in fire camps they are low and fire season is coming up in April

Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 PM

There is a test call a pulmonary function test that drs. perform to test for asthma. They breathing into a tube that is connected to a computer, they take a couple of deep breaths into the machine and then they give them a breathing treatment wait for about 30 mins and then they breath though it again.

One day I will look up and he will be there.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Exclamation Thanks for all the info

Thank you all for all the advice. Please keep him in your prayers. He has done the fire camp before the last time he was locke up for 5 years and he was great at it and absolutley loved it. This would really be the best thing to help his time go by plus like I said it was quite enjoyable for him last time. So please say a prayer for him that they see he does not have it and can get it cleared from his medical record. Thanks again all for all your input on the matter. I will pass it on to him in hopes that it may help him. I will let you know what comes of all this as soon as I know anything.

PITA MCNASTY
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm a Virgo----so beware!

I've had asthma ever since my childhood years, however you can "outgrow" asthma. I agree with honey 77, that's the test that they do. But since he's done the fire camp thing before, maybe mentioning it to the doc would help?? Good Luck and I'll definitly pray for him! God Bless
Old 03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
rest in peace MrsD. . . .

I have nothing to offer outside of what has already been said but I wanted to wish you luck. I understand the doctor vs. being loaded thing. take care

"... if commission of the crime of murder by individual man is a sin, the perpetration of the same act by society cannot be called a virtue"