Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 12-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Intro--MTrose from Montana

Hey all,

This is my first post, but I've been using this site for a few months already. My husband was sentenced a few days ago to 48 months in Federal Prison with 10 years supervised release. I guess for the most part I'm still in shock...but I'm trying to look at the bright side. This would be his first offense so we're both completely new to how this BOP thing works. I'm scared...but I know we will get through it. I feel grateful that it wasn't any worse than it is. I'm here to get some questions answered but mostly I'm in need of the support of others who have gone through or are currently involved in this lifestyle. He is on self-surrender right now so thankfully we can spend Christmas together. Thanks for reading...love, always.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 PM

Welcome to PTO I am always around to lend a shoulder
Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,338 Times in 11,848 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. He will earn 188 days of regular good time off of his 48 month sentence computed as 47 days for each year. He may also get to spend the last portion of his sentence in a half way house near your home; maximum 12 months, but 10% of his sentence is more likely.

Here is the link to the federal prison forums
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186
with much information about what he can expect to experience. Self surrender is a huge benefit since he will avoid being transported all over the country, in chains, by the US Marshals. Be sure to ask any questions that you have.

and here's a link to Husbands in Prison too.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks so much for the support and the links. I have about a thousand questions right now...

Will he get to go to the prison he requested at sentencing? I've heard there's a good chance he won't...
Will he be able to call me as soon as he gets there since he will self-surrender? Is there a way to get the call sheet filled out beforehand?
Will the RDAP program really reduce his time served? The judge recommended it...

And...how do I get through this? We have been married since June of last year and I can't imagine spending the next few years away from him...I know people out there do this every day but since he's still with me right now and it still feels like a bad dream.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,338 Times in 11,848 Posts

He has a decent chance to be sent to that prison, but it isn't guaranteed.

It will take anywhere from a day or two up to a week before he will be able to call you from the inmate phone system, the amount of time will depend on his counselor activating him on the system, and when his 9 digit phone pin arrives in the mail.

RDAP has two different issues, is he eligible to enroll, but also is he eligible to earn additional time off for successfully completing it? He will know the answers before he decides. It will probably be two years before he is offered RDAP.

You both will get more accustomed to what is happening over time, it will become your "new normal". It is a bad dream, but it will end so it is important that you both stay strong until it does.