Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
To me, hes perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
I read all the replies and did'nt see where anyone refered to you as a idiot.
Maybe instead of listening to your boyfriend, go by the advice given here.
10 charges, what makes this inmate so wonderful????
Maybe some time is the best thing for him, so he does'nt get anymore charges.

They didnt specifically refer to me as an idiot. I felt as if I was being talked down like one.
I am not listening to my boyfriend. I am trying to understand all of this and him and are going through all the possibilities. Thats all.
He is wonderful to me. Thats all that matters.
I know he is doing time. I am just trying to help him out here because he doesnt have a lawyer. He is in there and helpless. I am trying to find out all I can. I dont like not knowing. I like hearing everyones opinions. I am expecting the worst.
And just because he has 10 charges, doesnt make him guilty. Guilty until proven innocent.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,426 Times in 7,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgsgrl112 View Post
They didnt specifically refer to me as an idiot. I felt as if I was being talked down like one.
I am not listening to my boyfriend. I am trying to understand all of this and him and are going through all the possibilities. Thats all.
He is wonderful to me. Thats all that matters.
I know he is doing time. I am just trying to help him out here because he doesnt have a lawyer. He is in there and helpless. I am trying to find out all I can. I dont like not knowing. I like hearing everyones opinions. I am expecting the worst.
And just because he has 10 charges, doesnt make him guilty. Guilty until proven innocent.
no, 10 charges isn't that bad for some crimes. But, each charge adds to the cost in terms of time and energy and resources for attorneys.

Most of the pro bono stuff he's hearing about is post conviction stuff. Since there's a guarantee of representation at the trial level, and the State pays for that representation, it is highly unlikely that anybody's going to take the case pro bono unless there's some extreme reason.

Listen, it sounds like you have your priorities right - kids first. Paid or PD, there are good and there are bad. Just because you pay big bucks doesn't mean you're guaranteed a good lawyer. Just because you have a PD doesn't mean you get crap representation. But, the truth of the matter is that nobody's going to take it pro bono, not because he's guilty, but because we need to pay our bills, put dinner on our tables and the tables of all our staff. 10 charges is 10 charges - it's a lot of work, whether he's found guilty or not.

Nobody's saying he's guilty. People are just saying that he's SOL for a pro bono trial attorney. And, I'm not suggesting you're helping him to a guilty verdict by not putting up $5K. $5K is a lot of money, especially when you have kids. Besides, for all you know, he's got one helluva PD, and the $5K lawyer is crap. Who knows?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
grgsgrl112 (02-18-2011), pipeliner (02-19-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,341 Times in 11,848 Posts

Another thing, paying big bucks to a private attorney doesn't guarantee a competent defense. I would have done far better, and had much more money, if I hired the federal public defender rather than the clown I did. He was even scolded by the judge for his incompetence, but that didn't translate to any reduction in my sentence. The judge probably thought if I was stupid enough to hire the guy, I deserved what I got.

There are really good attorneys out there, it's just not always easy to find one.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
grgsgrl112 (02-18-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,392 Posts

Well - I don't know about everyone else but I learned alot by reading this! I don't think anyone was thinking anyone was an idiot but as a wife myself who has never been in trouble and has had the 'job" of finding an attorney or 2 in the past- i found this thread very informative. Thank you!
BTW it would be very cool if 'they' could find a better way for the consumer to find a "good" attorney. It really is just luck most of the time. I've had pretty good luck by referral.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

The Following User Says Thank You to nevaeh2morrow For This Useful Post:
grgsgrl112 (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 AM
To me, hes perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
no, 10 charges isn't that bad for some crimes. But, each charge adds to the cost in terms of time and energy and resources for attorneys.

Most of the pro bono stuff he's hearing about is post conviction stuff. Since there's a guarantee of representation at the trial level, and the State pays for that representation, it is highly unlikely that anybody's going to take the case pro bono unless there's some extreme reason.

Listen, it sounds like you have your priorities right - kids first. Paid or PD, there are good and there are bad. Just because you pay big bucks doesn't mean you're guaranteed a good lawyer. Just because you have a PD doesn't mean you get crap representation. But, the truth of the matter is that nobody's going to take it pro bono, not because he's guilty, but because we need to pay our bills, put dinner on our tables and the tables of all our staff. 10 charges is 10 charges - it's a lot of work, whether he's found guilty or not.

Nobody's saying he's guilty. People are just saying that he's SOL for a pro bono trial attorney. And, I'm not suggesting you're helping him to a guilty verdict by not putting up $5K. $5K is a lot of money, especially when you have kids. Besides, for all you know, he's got one helluva PD, and the $5K lawyer is crap. Who knows?

Thank you. I totally understand about the lawyers. I have been though custody battles. Finding a good lawyer is hard. Guess Ill just take your advice and stick with the PDs. Since he is just going to plea bargain, be kind of silly to pay for a lawyer when hes gonna do time anyways.

Thanks again
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Wink Bar Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by momstime View Post
Well - I don't know about everyone else but I learned alot by reading this! I don't think anyone was thinking anyone was an idiot but as a wife myself who has never been in trouble and has had the 'job" of finding an attorney or 2 in the past- i found this thread very informative. Thank you!
BTW it would be very cool if 'they' could find a better way for the consumer to find a "good" attorney. It really is just luck most of the time. I've had pretty good luck by referral.
You can always call the Bar Association and check the status of the "potential" lawyer/attorney you are going to hire....Food for thought...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Default My Opinion/Experience

Hello to the OP!!!!!

I was in deep water with my case - Looking at Embezzlement charges of well over $500,000! I found my criminal attorney through my custody attorney. He cost me a pretty penny - in my opinion he over charged but in the long run I got a really great deal b/c of his background as a former Commonwealth Attorney and "who he knew" My total attorney costs were $50,000!!!! But again I truly believe you get what you pay for....

I was looking at 189 forgering/uttering charges - embezzlement charges, Federal Time vs. State Time possibly....Everything and I was GUILTY and admitted this from the beginning which is what helped my attorney get me the deal he got me.....The Commonwealth only charged me with 6 counts of Grand Larceny - a sweet guilty plea in my opinon.....Yes I was facing 20 years per count - but I knew my attorney was good and would fight for me....He did and he even got them to state that they would not recommemnd any certain amount of time only state that "this case was an incarceration case" - meaning I deserved PRISON time not JAIL time or HOUSE ARREST......

He got me a great doctor who used the "bipolar" syndrome - sorry but I am not bipolar in my opinion - I was stealing for three years - come on now....sure I had a gambling problem but the bipolar was a leverage to use along with my total defense.......

Any ways enough of me.....If the attorney is asking for $5,000 for the case - I believe it is a fair request - especially if you want to get your boyfriend a good defense - if he is guilty the best thing your BF can do is get an attorney like the others have stated and get a GOOD PLEA DEAL for the money spent!!!!!

Some times pleading guilty and not wasting the courts time and money is very beneficial to the defendant - I am not saying for him to plead guilty if he isn't - just if he is - it would be a really smart thing to do....

I hope you can get him the right assistance!!!!!
grgsgrl112 (02-20-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
attorney

I never advertise and have never been in want of business.

You can and should ask around. Ask anybody who's dealt with attorneys for recommendations. If you know somebody who hired a divorce attorney, ask. They might not be criminal law attorneys, but they usually know criminal law attorneys.

Then, check them out. Interview them. They are working for you and you should be comfortable. Just because you sit down with an attorney doesn't mean you have to hire him/her. It's not like a heart attack and going to the ER where you're stuck with the doctor on duty, please, please, please be a good doc. You have time and don't have to take the first one who comes along and shakes your hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (02-19-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM

There are great PDs and bad. One here has all of the DAs quaking in their boots because she is so good. There are also good and bad DAs. Some attorneys who I have hired and charged me a fortune were horrible! Maybe your bf will get a very experienced PD and an inexperienced DA.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Default Public Defenders

If this is Federal case you are better off keeping your money and using the public defender. The paid Attorneys usually do no better than a Public Defender since the voluntary sentencing guidelines mandate the sentence. On the other hand if it is state charge you may do better with a paid attorney.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgefield613 View Post
If this is Federal case you are better off keeping your money and using the public defender. The paid Attorneys usually do no better than a Public Defender since the voluntary sentencing guidelines mandate the sentence. On the other hand if it is state charge you may do better with a paid attorney.
Um, actually it's pretty much the same as in state court. There are good PDs and there are crap. There are good private federal criminal attorneys and there are crap.