Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Default Do Federal inmates have to go to County first?

Do new federal inmates have to go into County jail first? Like State people do? Before they find a space? Or do they check into federal prison or reception right away?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,742 Posts

It depends. If they are arrested by the Marshals they may spend time in federal pre-sentence facilities while they go through court. Basically like county for federal cases. If they are arrested and out on bond they may have the option to self surrender directly to the prison they will serve their sentence.

However, if an inmate has cases in both state and federal level they may spend time in a county jail.

There's a lot of variables.
Jersey Joe (02-02-2018), xolady (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,742 Posts

I have been informed that they are only housed in Federal Holdover Facilities IF there is one located near where they were arrested, otherwise, they may be housed in county jails.

So the same remains true, many variables.
fbopnomore (02-03-2018), safran (02-02-2018), xolady (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
It depends. If they are arrested by the Marshals they may spend time in federal pre-sentence facilities while they go through court. Basically like county for federal cases. If they are arrested and out on bond they may have the option to self surrender directly to the prison they will serve their sentence.

However, if an inmate has cases in both state and federal level they may spend time in a county jail.

There's a lot of variables.

Thanks. Actually my friend hasnít even been formally charged yet but itís basically a formality now. Theyíre offering deals but basically when itís all said and done heíll go in for 2-5 years federal. 311. I just wanna know if I should prepare him to go to County and reception first.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:42 PM

I spent my time at the federal courthouse, there was a jail there. Basically lockdown all day. The marshals are dickheads.

But I was arrested in a major city, or rather next to a major city. No federal MCC (good thing), but a jail at the courthouse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-03-2018), xolady (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8er View Post
I spent my time at the federal courthouse, there was a jail there. Basically lockdown all day. The marshals are dickheads.

But I was arrested in a major city, or rather next to a major city. No federal MCC (good thing), but a jail at the courthouse.

Are you in CA? So they just put you in the courthouse jail for a bit before you went to Federal?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Southern California has several federal facilities but most of the southern counties have contracts with the county jails to house inmates awaiting court.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeddy View Post
Are you in CA? So they just put you in the courthouse jail for a bit before you went to Federal?
No, not in CA. As I said, the federal courthouse that I was brought to after being arrested had a detention center. That's where I stayed until I was able to get bonded out. I ended up getting a deal that avoided prison luckily.

I was with the guys that were remanded and/or couldn't bond out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2018), xolady (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,387 Times in 11,863 Posts

From sentencing I spent one night in a county jail before being transported by the marshals to federal detention center (FDC) Miami. I stayed there for 3 months. Sentenced/remanded prisoners, people who had an active court case, including appeal hearings, and recent federal arrestees were there too. It was way better than any of the Florida county jails I visited (3) before my federal sentencing.

It will depend on what the US Marshals do in that jurisdiction.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanked 1,209 Times in 613 Posts

Someone at the camp where my husband is in Duluth, originally was SS to Pekin camp. When he got to Pekin, he was told they were closing it the next day. Because of that, they didn't keep him there (even after he SS) and he somehow wound up being transferred and ended up at the MCC in Chicago on his way to the camp in Duluth. Along the way my understanding is that he also made it there via a facility in Tulsa, OK and the camp at Oxford, WI, so he definitely took the scenic route getting from Pekin, IL to Duluth, MN and a more costly one. It would have been a lot more cost effective if they had just pushed his SS to report to Duluth, or better just changed his SS location to Duluth to begin with. But of cousre, that's our wonderful government using our tax dollars at work!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-04-2018)