Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Blackwater Prison?

Hi, new to all of this and my LO is wanting me to lookup info on the "Blackwater prison in phoenix". He is on Federal charges and I know the BOP has a medium and minimum security facility in Phoenix but nothing in my search turns up Blackwater.

He is hearing it might be a death sentence if he is put there because they don't have any PC units. He is listed under SO charges and has heard horror stories for those with that label.

He said his only other choice would be to get assigned to the Max facility in Tucson where they have a much greater population of those listed as SO but the trade off is we wouldn't have contact visits for his whole sentence.

Any information on this 'Blackwater' and if the Federal facility in Tucson really does have a more significant population of SO?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 06:22 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,957 Times in 15,117 Posts

The only Blackwater prison I can find is Blackwater River CI in Florida.

Directions to the Federal facility and camp in Phoenix (FCI Phoenix) from any direction include travel on Black Canyon Highway...perhaps that's where the mix-up comes in

Are you sure he's Federal? If so, just because he's in Arizona doesn't mean that's where he'll do his time. BOP is notorious for sending inmates hundreds of miles from family & friends

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,360 Times in 11,855 Posts

The bop has been sending high numbers of SOs to the same prisons, which is a good thing for reducing their problems. There are so many prisoners who the bop considers SOs (and thus assigns them a "public safety factor) that the serious "urban legend" problems are usually limited to TV shows and the higher security prisons, so if he requests one of them it will be a huge mistake.

Every federal prison has "protective custody" as an option for prisoners who experience more drama than they can deal with. Even there, contact visits are available, but usually on fewer days and hours than general population visitation.

Once he arrives wherever the bop decides to send him, he can find out if he feels threatened to an extent where he should request PC, or an emergency transfer somewhere else. By anticipating problems that will probably never happen, he is making the situation far worse for himself than it needs to be.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,507 Posts

There is no Blackwater Prison in Phoenix.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,360 Times in 11,855 Posts

Blackwater is the name of the (former?) corporation that provided agents and mercenaries to run the CIA's dark prisons under Bush/Cheney. They didn't do as well under President Obama, and may have even gone out of business.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:09 PM

According to Wikipedia, Blackwater was renamed to Xe Services in 2009 and Academi in 2011 and got acquired in 2014 by a third party company. I too tried to do a search on this question and another thing that I found interesting is that founder Erik Prince is the brother of current Secretary of Education Betsy Devos.

My best guess is maybe OP's LO was referencing a false rumor or perhaps there is or was a Private federal prison in or around Arizona? (my logic being Blackhwater = private contractor, so the question was about a private contract prison)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dissonance For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-02-2017)