Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Luvn me for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal USA View Post
I am NOT a lawyer. I am an independent contract paralegal who does specialized work for lawyers.

But why is it that you hope and pray "not ALL lawyers feel the way [i] do"? Is it perhaps because I chose to get a good education by which to support myself instead of dropping out of school and live the fast life supported by selling drugs to kids? Is it because I demand courteousness and respect from those who request my professional services?
mmkay, before you tell ME what my education level is, perhaps taking the time to ASK, and you would get your answers. and, ex-ca-use me, as a matter of fact, i am going to school to be a paralegal, but perhaps that just doesnt matter anyway cause youre going to go off on your tangents.

enjoy your life, quit taking your frustrations out on the WRONG people.

isnt there a rule of some sort for these types of posts? it just seems like a drama-fest.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,446 Times in 7,506 Posts

Hey, text-speak bothers me, too. It takes 2-3 times the amount of time for me to decipher it, and I'm never quite sure I have it.

I also get frustrated by somebody putting everything into one paragraph with no space. I read ALL DAY. Looking at a huge chunk of words without a break is difficult.

Now, I know most people don't spend their days looking at dense legal texts on a computer screen, but I do try to educate. If you want your questions answered, be nice to our eyes. I don't expect perfect spelling - I don't have perfect spelling, but please, text-speak is really rough on those of us who didn't grow up with it.

I've had clients, and I think we all have, who insist on writing the way they want to, without editing, without review. They feel it's part of their sense of individuality, and they'll write a statement to the judge using a ton of slang, or curse words, or text-speak, or they'll be really informal and call the judge "dude" or something. And then they come to me wondering why the judge "didn't understand" or whatever. Part of dealing with Court is learning how to deal with Court. It's how to address, how to dress, how to act, etc. When you show the Court respect, the Court is much more likely to show you the same respect back.

Now, this is just a forum, and if you want to say "shit" say "shit", but please, try to use decent English. Text-speak is just plain difficult for most of us - we spend 8-10 hours a day reading straight English. Trying to adjust to the slang and the text-speak and the idiom of the time is just not going to happen unless I'm feeling particularly masochistic. Similarly, I won't answer questions in languages other than English because I'm limited - I don't speak most other languages.

So, if you want to increase your odds of getting an answer to a question, play nice. Use straight English, put some paragraph spaces in your question. Give us jurisdiction - state or federal or Canada, or Namibia, or wherever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
HardHeadedWoman (07-10-2011), haswtch (05-16-2011), LifeTraveler (05-15-2011), SimplyMe123 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 PM
<3 Love <3
Donation Award 

I appreciate all of the posts by the legal professionals who take the time to write intelligent replys to questions other posters may have. They have been valuable to me in explaining the legal process and why things are they way they are.
The reason I'm here at PTO is because my husband has been charged with a crime and any help understanding the entire situation is helpful to me.

I would never expect anyone to work for me for free. I would not do my job for free. *I do some volunteer work, yes* But, in general I will not work for free and I don't expect anyone else to either.

I am amazed that legal professionals take time to post in the first place, especially since it takes days for my husbands lawyer to return a phone call. :/ IMO The service they are already providing by posting on this board is invaluble.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikayla26 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-04-2011), Cara1947 (05-31-2011), haswtch (05-16-2011), LifeTraveler (05-15-2011), patchouli (05-13-2011), SimplyMe123 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTrigger View Post
mmkay, before you tell ME what my education level is, perhaps taking the time to ASK, and you would get your answers.
I never even suggested I knew what your education level is.

Quote:
and, ex-ca-use me, as a matter of fact, i am going to school to be a paralegal, but perhaps that just doesnt matter anyway cause youre going to go off on your tangents.
Good for you. Paralegal work is both interesting and rewarding, especially when your diligent research in complex areas of law enables you to help free someone who has been wrongfully accused, convicted and imprisoned.

Quote:
enjoy your life.
I do, very much, thank you.

Quote:
quit taking your frustrations out on the WRONG people
I have no fustrations to take out on ANY people.

Quote:
isnt there a rule of some sort for these types of posts?
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find any forum rules prohibiting a legal professional from making known that the attorneys and paralegals who post here cannot do pro bono work for everyone who asks. But my research could be faulty. Should your research reveal a rule that does prohibit such types of posts, by all means, please share that with me, whereupon I will promptly cease and desist from posting similarly in the future.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,980 Times in 15,127 Posts

I do believe that this conversation is over. The professionals here do a bang-up job and they do it for free. Ya'll either appriciate it or you don't. If you don't, then don't ask for their help. I for one do apprciate their input and insight.

There will be no more rude comments or finger-pointing. Period

Debate is healthy. It can open minds. Being rude is neither healthy nor does it open minds. And the snide/rude comments stop now.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-04-2011), haswtch (05-16-2011), LeBeau (05-13-2011), LifeTraveler (05-15-2011), Niki (05-14-2011), Patrickj (05-15-2011), Willowbaby65 (05-31-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

I have billed $350/hr on many occasions. I earned it each and every time. Every penny of it. I don't have any second thoughts, not a bit of guilt, and I'd do it again if I could. I have a lot of reasons to support that charging that much is an OK thing to do, but frankly I don't much care if anyone else doesn't agree with my pricing. I have very good reasons for charging that much and the hourly rate didn't pop in out of thin air. I explain my rates to my clients if they ask.
I never ever take payments. That only leads to trouble. I am paid up front, or I don't take the case. Sometimes I charge for less than when taking a case to trial, but I try to avoid it. Again, I explain why if I'm asked, and I have damn fine reasons.
Sometimes I charge a lot less. Sometimes I even do it for free. I can't cut rates to close to zero very often, but sometimes I have to step in because the right thing wouldn't otherwise be done. Doing it a for lot less is bad for business, but infrequently I do it anyways.
Sometimes I do it for what a county pays. Volume makes up for certain things and county work has a number of benefits that aren't in the paycheck.
Around here I work for free. I answer questions because ignorance tends to take a cost in lives. I hate wasted life. I can't afford to work for free when I represent people, but it is easy enough to answer questions that require no research.Taking the time to do this hurts me a little bit, but I see that as outweighed by the good done. It really isn't too much effort, and it is a lot different than representing someone.
I've been very clear that I don't represent the people I give information to when it comes from this web site. When someone is my client, I usually have a much better picture of what the issues are than when I'm asked for information around here. What I provide is general information, but that can be hard to come by out there in the world.
So, I do what I feel like I can do; within the bounds of ethics. That's either enough, or it isn't; but that is the best I can do.
I think I give a lot more than most attorneys. I am OK with how often I work pro bono, under what circumstances, and what the rules of engagement might be.
I don't blame people for hoping they can get something for nothing. I don't blame them for not liking the fact that attorneys charge plenty for their services. Their outrage or hopefulness doesn't upset the order of things, though. I spend weeks at a time spitting into the wind. I certainly understand when others what to spend some time doing that.
I wish I could work for free, but that would take a socialized government . There would be trade offs, and I think some of those trade offs would be pretty ugly. It won't be happening in our lifetime if it ever happened at all.
There are a few attorneys who sally forth trying to do the right thing for the simple reason that it is the right thing to do...but there are always limits and we will not entirely sacrifice our own families even if it is for the greater good. If I were a sharper businessperson, my own kids could go to any college they wanted to attend. I could have retired young. I intentionally took a pass on an easier life. I guess I tried to find some middle ground where I felt like I hadn't sold out.
I'm not asking for approval. I'm not asking for understanding. I'm certainly not asking for forgiveness. In many ways I did what I did for my own selfish reasons. I've found what I think is an honorable way to live my life while being true to my own values.
So, I remain ready to help if I can. When I can't, I remain willing to say so. I can't recall anyone ever being upset that I wouldn't/couldn't do more after I explained what seemed to be going on. People here have been very respectful, even when I had nothing but bad news to deliver. Ignorance is the worst possible fear, so by comparison bad news is easy to digest.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gryphon For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-04-2011), Cara1947 (05-31-2011), HardHeadedWoman (07-10-2011), LifeTraveler (05-15-2011), Niki (05-15-2011), nimuay (05-15-2011), Onedaycloser13 (05-15-2011), patchouli (05-15-2011), SimplyMe123 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 AM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,851 Times in 10,458 Posts

Okay so I am reading and I'm thinking to myself, "wow, those who feel the need to point out that they don't have time to help every single person in need sure have a lot of time to talk about the reasons they don't have time to help every single person in need and so on and so on..."

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following User Says Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (08-14-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,563 Times in 11,010 Posts

But their time is their own, to do with as they choose. The fact that they come here to PTO and answer questions at no cost at all means that (if that time is part of their work schedule) their 'billing rate' is automatically lower on average because of the zero earned here.

If the legal pro is doing posts here in an after-hours time, then even more thanks, because that's time that s/he could spend on the yacht you think they own, or in their gardens or wherever.

I've always appreciated the legal people here - they answer clearly, without excess emotion, and as briefly as they can. It's a pure blessing.
1bird2 (07-04-2011), Cara1947 (05-31-2011), ElizaB (05-15-2011), Paralegal USA (05-15-2011), patchouli (05-15-2011), Patrickj (05-16-2011), SimplyMe123 (05-15-2011), yourself (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Okay so I am reading and I'm thinking to myself, "wow, those who feel the need to point out that they don't have time to help every single person in need sure have a lot of time to talk about the reasons they don't have time to help every single person in need and so on and so on..."
Maybe because having one thread explaining everything beats the recent proliferation of threads asking for free legal help. One thread, full answers, v. a dozen threads.

Make sense?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Paralegal USA (05-15-2011), Patrickj (05-16-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Donation Award 

i would just like to add, thank you thank you thank you for all that you guys do for us... i would be lost without all of the assistance and direction that i have gotten from here...
and i feel that this post explains how i can help you help me... i mean, if there is a way that i can make it easier for you to be kind and help me with direction, then i will do my best... it is very selfless for any direction to be offered here, and...
im rambling... thank you for all that you do... all of you lawyers / paralegals / law students...
thank you thank you thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raynebow_taster For This Useful Post:
haswtch (05-16-2011), patchouli (05-15-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Let me start off by saying make sher the pro bono is not meaning thare lack of know what thare doing now i not lawyer but i do know my stuff when it comes to fed sentinceing and a lot on prisons and law and i am allways willing to help if i am abel i spell bad but i am real good with law
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 AM
Redding Lady in Waiting
Donation Award 

I have to say I have enjoyed reading this thread and can empathize with both sides. As a professional that is sometimes "expected" to give, and as a woman who is desperately trying to accomplish something she cannot afford to.

Bottom line here is, we are all here for the same purpose, because we care... why really are we fighting about it?!?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdgpunx For This Useful Post:
Cara1947 (05-31-2011), patchouli (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,327 Times in 678 Posts

Well, I paid for TWO lawyers and got had for $35K so my opinion isn't very high . . . I make exceptions for yourself . . . wise person there! I paid one of these to take our case to trial, he persuaded my husband to plea bargain, but I got no refund because we did NOT go to trial after all . . . but I have him $10K for that SPECIFIC purpose.

I agree that becoming a lawyer is expensive . . . so are many other professional educations . . . but, why is it my doctor doesn't tell me I need a $25K retainer before he will talk to me about the lump in my breast?

I'm sure yourself and other attorneys who care enough to devote their time here probably are the exceptions to my experience, but I've NEVER spoken to an attorney who takes payments! Lay the cash on my desk and we'll talk. No cash. No talk. And, frankly, I know few people who can reach out on a few days notice and put their hands on that kind of cash! I have a professional job, make good money, but being able to materialize that kind of CASH on short notice is ridiculous.

Let's face it . . . there are as many superb lawyers as there are jerks. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to tell the difference yet . . . and so I AVOID them like a toothache!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
attorney

I've actually been turned away by doctors because I'm an attorney, but that's a different sort of bias.

I've had difficulty getting an appointment with a doctor about the lump in my breast without first disclosing my insurance information, so that's one big difference.

A friend has been exploring pre-paid legal services as a viable alternative to the big retainer. I'm just watching because I don't like giving billing control over to others, and I've heard mixed reviews about it. Still, the idea of legal insurance makes some degree of sense.

I'm sorry for the bad experiences people have with their lawyers, doctors, accountants, and other professionals. I try to remind people that these people are licensed by the state - that means the state regulates our careers. Making a report or filing a beef to the bar, attempting fee arbitration through the bar, and taking advantage of venues to at least register a complaint is important. A guy can have a 20 year blemish free record because people don't know to file a complaint with the state bar. It's a lot different if, when you beef him, he already has a record, and it's always the same complaint. So, please, help us get the rotten wood out of the profession, and register a complaint. Nothing may come of it, except the release of making the complaint and knowing that for the next person to come down the pike - the case will be stronger. And, maybe fee arbitration will get some of your funds back. Maybe the lawyer will get other discipline, and his insurance rates will skyrocket.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-04-2011), LifeTraveler (06-02-2011), SimplyMe123 (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

Yourself:

Very well put.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Devoted Wife
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,518 Posts

Reading some of the threads over the last two years in this forum, the original intent of this thread is definitely understood.

Many of us appreciate the time, dedication, and research afforded to us by all of the law professionals, medical professionals, undercover DOC/BOP staff, and other government officials that assist us here (voluntarily) on PTO. A little courtesy goes a long way when the dollar isn't coming out of your pocket for an answer.
NY/NJ/CT Support Conference Call 9/11/2012 8:30PM-9:30PM
Send PM for more info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissVal1920 For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (07-04-2011), LifeTraveler (06-02-2011), sjblack74 (09-19-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,684 Posts

I don't think doctors and lawyers are the same-most doctors are paid by insurance companies. Lawyers by a client that may end up in jail. freedom has a great price and basically its how much is it worth to the individual. Most times, you do get what you pay for. I have a case-not a criminal one, but my lawyers fees will be over a million dollars by the time its finished. Did they earn that? Well I guess they did, some people around me don't agree or think they did also, but guess what? I have to pay it, because its services for what I requested. You hire someone and they work. The problem with criminal law is that noone thinks or wants to go to jail and sometimes, no matter how much money you have or how good a lawyer you have, thats still what is going to happen. Most cases, if you go to jail, its really not the lawyers fault, but a lot of people don't see it that way and assume they must not have done their job. A lawyer is for understanding the court system, their connections and knowledge-they are not a get out of jail free card.

Last edited by thatwiz; 06-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thatwiz For This Useful Post:
sjblack74 (09-19-2011), yourself (06-01-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Right on! Everyone needs a dose of reality at sometime or another. Thank you for your honesty.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 AM

Default Justifying your fees

You sound like a decent person and shouldn't have to justify your fees. The important thing is that you are ok with your fees. My guage of myself is when I look in the mirror, am I ok with the person I see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
I have billed $350/hr on many occasions. I earned it each and every time. Every penny of it. I don't have any second thoughts, not a bit of guilt, and I'd do it again if I could. I have a lot of reasons to support that charging that much is an OK thing to do, but frankly I don't much care if anyone else doesn't agree with my pricing. I have very good reasons for charging that much and the hourly rate didn't pop in out of thin air. I explain my rates to my clients if they ask.
I never ever take payments. That only leads to trouble. I am paid up front, or I don't take the case. Sometimes I charge for less than when taking a case to trial, but I try to avoid it. Again, I explain why if I'm asked, and I have damn fine reasons.
Sometimes I charge a lot less. Sometimes I even do it for free. I can't cut rates to close to zero very often, but sometimes I have to step in because the right thing wouldn't otherwise be done. Doing it a for lot less is bad for business, but infrequently I do it anyways.
Sometimes I do it for what a county pays. Volume makes up for certain things and county work has a number of benefits that aren't in the paycheck.
Around here I work for free. I answer questions because ignorance tends to take a cost in lives. I hate wasted life. I can't afford to work for free when I represent people, but it is easy enough to answer questions that require no research.Taking the time to do this hurts me a little bit, but I see that as outweighed by the good done. It really isn't too much effort, and it is a lot different than representing someone.
I've been very clear that I don't represent the people I give information to when it comes from this web site. When someone is my client, I usually have a much better picture of what the issues are than when I'm asked for information around here. What I provide is general information, but that can be hard to come by out there in the world.
So, I do what I feel like I can do; within the bounds of ethics. That's either enough, or it isn't; but that is the best I can do.
I think I give a lot more than most attorneys. I am OK with how often I work pro bono, under what circumstances, and what the rules of engagement might be.
I don't blame people for hoping they can get something for nothing. I don't blame them for not liking the fact that attorneys charge plenty for their services. Their outrage or hopefulness doesn't upset the order of things, though. I spend weeks at a time spitting into the wind. I certainly understand when others what to spend some time doing that.
I wish I could work for free, but that would take a socialized government . There would be trade offs, and I think some of those trade offs would be pretty ugly. It won't be happening in our lifetime if it ever happened at all.
There are a few attorneys who sally forth trying to do the right thing for the simple reason that it is the right thing to do...but there are always limits and we will not entirely sacrifice our own families even if it is for the greater good. If I were a sharper businessperson, my own kids could go to any college they wanted to attend. I could have retired young. I intentionally took a pass on an easier life. I guess I tried to find some middle ground where I felt like I hadn't sold out.
I'm not asking for approval. I'm not asking for understanding. I'm certainly not asking for forgiveness. In many ways I did what I did for my own selfish reasons. I've found what I think is an honorable way to live my life while being true to my own values.
So, I remain ready to help if I can. When I can't, I remain willing to say so. I can't recall anyone ever being upset that I wouldn't/couldn't do more after I explained what seemed to be going on. People here have been very respectful, even when I had nothing but bad news to deliver. Ignorance is the worst possible fear, so by comparison bad news is easy to digest.