Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Exclamation Does the Media Over Exaggerate?

Iíve been thinking about it for a while. When I first got together with my boyfriend (we met during his incarceration), I found the articles about his charges. I talked to him about it and he said that the media had it all wrong and that it was over dramatic. He had no problem telling me what happened prior to his arrest and believed he had no reason to hide anything from me. I canít help but wonder if that itís true that the story gets twisted to make it sound better. A lot of the guys in his pod feel that the media makes them out to be something theyíre not. What is your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,297 Times in 7,150 Posts

My opinion is that the media exaggerates EVERYTHING. Drama sells.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-07-2018), mxpyacymmzy (Yesterday), Sarianna (12-08-2018), sass4221 (12-06-2018), sidewalker (12-07-2018), xoxoaem (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
My opinion is that the media exaggerates EVERYTHING. Drama sells.
I 1000% agree! I just feel bad because he just wants to start over and become a member of society and live as normal of a life as possible, and is trying to put all of the negativity behind him.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:19 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,521 Times in 11,939 Posts

I agree too, news has become "tabloid news" and many articles come directly from exaggerated police/prosecutor "news releases".
Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,693 Times in 14,450 Posts

Even before my husband was arrested........I knew from my own experience about *newspapers* and how they report news.
Just from reading our local papers reporting of HS football games. It was always funny to me when I was at the games and saw what happened, how our team did yet the story always focused on the other team. (even when they lost lol) I just figured someone reporting it must have had a kid who went to that school (or they did)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 12-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Supportive Mom

A million times yes. Just like so many other things, the media focuses on drama and sensationalism. Politics and money drive the 'news' and it's even worse during an election year, when there are votes on the line.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 PM

The media is all about sensationalism. There's nuggets of truth hidden behind a whole bunch of fluff, because they know it'll grab attention. So far, my local news does a good job of just reporting the facts, without making it out to be some crazy event.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,819 Times in 1,642 Posts

I'm really glad that when my boyfriend committed his crime that there was no internet (or in the beginning stages) and only newspaper. There was only a small article in the paper and that's it.
But a few months ago his co-defendant, who was already on work release, stole the supervisor's truck and sped off and committed suicide and that was all over the internet and my boyfriend was mentioned again. And... the internet never forgets... It's horrible what they make out of a story like that.
fbopnomore (12-08-2018), LifeTraveler (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,201 Posts

In the wonderful little book, "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah", author Richard Bach wrote -

"Live never to be ashamed if anything you say or do is published around the world, even if what is published is not true."

That is wise advice. The newspapers are never "fair" as they don't often tell two sides of a story. Although for many of us the only side to tell, is how we screwed up. Sometimes dramatically. If something printed in a newspaper, or online is factually incorrect or misrepresents something that has happened, you have the right to sue the paper or internet source. Sometimes people win as long as they can prove salient facts are being misrepresented in a way that is detrimental to a specific party.

Otherwise, take it with a grain of salt and move on. However, if your incarcerated friend tells a vastly different story about the circumstances of their incarceration and you want to know the "truth" - do some research and don't take their word for things either. We (us felon types) have a way of minimizing our behavior that in the process of recovery and integrity is not ultimately helpful. We need to own who we are and what we've done to effectively move past it.
fbopnomore (12-09-2018), LifeTraveler (12-08-2018), sidewalker (12-09-2018), xoxoaem (12-08-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Thanked 1,247 Times in 632 Posts

If his case is on pacer (federal crimes) then you can read the real facts about the case and know what's real or not. That will help . It irked me a lot when what was reported in my husband's case was completely bogus. Not exaggerated, but just false.

More often than not, the exaggerations are picked up by what is in the prosecution or plaintiff's side, without the defense's side or what the judge (or evidence) every being taking into account and that's the problem.

The best however, is when your LO is with other inmates and they are the ones completely full of crap, you go look it up on pacer and what they tell you makes no sense at all. Like the fact that my husband has a roommate that tells him he's about 6 years younger than him, when it's right there in plain site on inmate locator (the guy probably isn't familiar with that) how old he is. We just laugh and shake our heads at that. But there are a ton of guys that lie.

Now of course, when it comes to Trump, facts aren't lying when you can see the documents, not to mention how easy it is to set him off - hah it's kind of like watching a 3 year old have a tantrum!! The "rumor" last week is that his son and Jared were about to get indicted. But if not, the walls are definitely getting closer!! The Saudi mess sure doesn't help!