Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Has anyone's loved one participated in the Pell Pilot College Program?

Has anyone had their child participate in the Pell college program? Any insight you could share would be appreciated.

My son is doing well which means I am too : ) The old saying is true. "A mother is only as happy as her most unhappy child." But I found that I was really the one in charge of the Happy Ship. I started demanding from him and myself a more proactive mindset. I mean really! How long can you be down and out? Eventually you have to stand up and get going. And that's what we are now doing. We are looking forward. We are planning. My questions to him are about what HE can do to use this time (5 years) to better himself. As I tell him ALL the time, "You can sit there, pout and watch TV OR you get reinvent yourself into someone you are proud of. You pick."

I am now parenting in a way that I never thought I would. But I am a parent and this is where we are.

So to all you other parents out there I say Stand Tall. Be strong. Offer encouragement. Demand change. You will FEEL better and your kid will be better for it.

You all have my best thoughts!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thequeensusan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-25-2017), JadensMom127 (06-19-2017), jancy (04-25-2017), miamac (04-25-2017), mssirois2u (07-04-2017), safran (04-25-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,964 Times in 6,338 Posts

I wonder which pa prisons have the pell program in place now? I found this article from 2015:
U.S. Department of Education’s Second Chance Pell Pilot Program -- Four Pennsylvania institutions of higher learning were among those selected earlier this year to participate in a national pilot program to allow inmates to access post-secondary education with the goal of helping them get jobs and support families when they are released. Bloomsburg University, Lehigh Carbon Community College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Villanova University were among 67 colleges and universities awarded federal grants under the U.S. Department of Education’s Second Chance Pell pilot program. The awards will provide funding for 115 inmates at six correctional institutions (SCIs Frackville, Graterford, Houtzdale, Mahanoy, Muncy and Pine Grove) to access college-degree or certificate programs at the participating schools. The $30 million Pell pilot program is designed to test whether participation in high quality education programs increases after expanding access to financial aid for incarcerated individuals.

The list of prisons participating for 2016-2017 :

https://www2.ed.gov/documents/press-...stitutions.pdf

The inmate that I write to is not in one of those named prisons. I also am trying to educate him in various ways. He's very receptive to learning. I'm working him through the Bible as well as some self-training in understanding his personality type to help him learn what got him there and how to recognize how to stop his trigger behaviors. I had heard the pell program was being put on hold a while back?

Last edited by jancy; 04-25-2017 at 02:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
Thequeensusan (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Yes, those are the schools that participate. If accepted into the program the inmate would transfer to the prison that is associated with the school. It is not on hold and they are in the process of picking students now. Inmate must have a high school degree or equivalent, a year of infraction free behavior, and a release date within 5 years to apply.

That's nice of you to be taking the time to help. Encourage him to sign up for classes and other services offered in the prison. He's gotta do the work.

I wish you both continued success!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thequeensusan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-25-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM
vamom

Any degree he receives will also help with parole. Most importantly it will give him something to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to rkered For This Useful Post:
Thequeensusan (05-01-2017)
Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Talking The Pell Program

Hello, I am proud of my son too. He's coming up on 5 years left. The program is a great opportunity. Get at it as soon as it's available. Classes fill up quickly. Things seem to take a little more time to get done. Inside, it's more slow and steady. They tend to do many things at the same time, like work, go to school, yard time, etc. It's very regimented, which is a good thing. I always tell my son to relax, he's going to get to where he wants to go.
Outside everything moves so fast and noisy, it will be a big adjustment to go through when they get home. And, we'll be here. Never Let Go.